Topics

HamPi with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B v1.2 (2015) running warm ! #hampi #jtdx

Alf Blomqvist

Hi,

I'm trying HamPi 1.1 with an older Raspberry Pi 3 v1.2 from 2015.

With FT8 and using JTDX it get's warm - shows a sign for "heat".

Is it common that this type can't handle digi modes?

Should I buy a more powerful Raspberry Pi - what model then?

73 Alf
OH6IH

N5XMT

do you have a heatsink on the CPU or any sort of air circulation like a fan?

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 1:38 PM Alf Blomqvist <oh6ih@...> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying HamPi 1.1 with an older Raspberry Pi 3 v1.2 from 2015.

With FT8 and using JTDX it get's warm - shows a sign for "heat".

Is it common that this type can't handle digi modes?

Should I buy a more powerful Raspberry Pi - what model then?

73 Alf
OH6IH

David Haworth WA9ONY

If you do not have a case with a fan, remove your RPi case top and use a small fan to blow on your RPi.

At CPU ~ 80 degrees C the CPU speed will decrease.

In Terminal use command
watch /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp
Use CTRL-C to stop the program.

Heat sinks help some, but a case with a fan is needed to keep the RPi cool and running at max speed.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 1:50 PM N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:
do you have a heatsink on the CPU or any sort of air circulation like a fan?

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 1:38 PM Alf Blomqvist <oh6ih@...> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying HamPi 1.1 with an older Raspberry Pi 3 v1.2 from 2015.

With FT8 and using JTDX it get's warm - shows a sign for "heat".

Is it common that this type can't handle digi modes?

Should I buy a more powerful Raspberry Pi - what model then?

73 Alf
OH6IH

David Ranch

A Raspberry Pi 3 should be more than enough CPU to run FT8.

It's important to know that the HamPi Raspberry Pi images include the background BOINC distributed processing system which will create a significant amount of CPU load when it can.  This might be contributing to your heat issue.  Unfortunately, you cannot disable this process per the license of this image:

   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oAekR66EBF7i4-IN5VlAb_1iF8Y8Upli

It might be worth trying out a stock Raspberry Pi OS install with WSJT-X and see how things work there without that significant overhead.

--

73 David WA9ONY

Alf Blomqvist

Good Morning,

I have the original top on, without a fan.

Could try to install rhe original OS and also use a small fan.

73 Alf
OH6IH

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

do you have a heatsink on the CPU or any sort of air circulation like a fan?

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 1:38 PM Alf Blomqvist <oh6ih@...> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying HamPi 1.1 with an older Raspberry Pi 3 v1.2 from 2015.

With FT8 and using JTDX it get's warm - shows a sign for "heat".

Is it common that this type can't handle digi modes?

Should I buy a more powerful Raspberry Pi - what model then?

73 Alf
OH6IH

Chuck M

Have a 3B that runs hot regardless of CPU load.   Printed case for it designed for top mounted 40mm fan.

Bought 5 VDC Noctua fan from Amazon.  These are quiet, reliable, and good CFM.  Powered from GPIO pins.

KM4ACK's Conky display shows CPU temp staying around 60C with fan, rising to around 80C without it.

Hope this helps.
73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 1:21 AM, Alf Blomqvist
<oh6ih@...> wrote:
Good Morning,

I have the original top on, without a fan.

Could try to install rhe original OS and also use a small fan.

73 Alf
OH6IH

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

do you have a heatsink on the CPU or any sort of air circulation like a fan?

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 1:38 PM Alf Blomqvist <oh6ih@...> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying HamPi 1.1 with an older Raspberry Pi 3 v1.2 from 2015.

With FT8 and using JTDX it get's warm - shows a sign for "heat".

Is it common that this type can't handle digi modes?

Should I buy a more powerful Raspberry Pi - what model then?

73 Alf
OH6IH

Denis

You may want to look at KM4ACK "Build a PI"  It has most of the same programs and you are not forced to run any programs.
It works great on my PI3 nd PI4.
Denis
WB8SKP

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:21 AM Alf Blomqvist <oh6ih@...> wrote:
Good Morning,

I have the original top on, without a fan.

Could try to install rhe original OS and also use a small fan.

73 Alf
OH6IH

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

do you have a heatsink on the CPU or any sort of air circulation like a fan?

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 1:38 PM Alf Blomqvist <oh6ih@...> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying HamPi 1.1 with an older Raspberry Pi 3 v1.2 from 2015.

With FT8 and using JTDX it get's warm - shows a sign for "heat".

Is it common that this type can't handle digi modes?

Should I buy a more powerful Raspberry Pi - what model then?

73 Alf
OH6IH

Rick H

I run my Pi 3 and PI4 with a fan bolted to a heatsink which is controlled by a python script, the temperature can be set from 30c to 50c I run both PI at 45c there is circuity to control the fan on/off cycle.

Rick H

I run my Pi 3 and PI4 with a fan bolted to a heatsink which is controlled by a python script, the temperature can be set from 30c to 50c I run both PI at 45c there is circuity to control the fan on/off cycle.

Rick
M0PZS

Bruce

Alf, I have the same problem with the same Pi model. I replaced the two heatsinks with larger ones. I've had no problems since. I also was having a slow-down problem that turned out to be the power supply. The 2 amp supply was not adequate. I used an old Roku 2.5 amp supply and that problem also disappeared,

Bruce MacAlister <w4bru@...>

9:24 AM (14 minutes ago)

to RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio

Mickey Baker N4MB

Hi, Alf,

As you may infer from the earlier responses, the big problem with a compute workload on a pi is thermal throttling. Higher temps from CPU heavy workloads causes the pi firmware to slow the CPU.

This gets much better with the pi 4b. I've attached a graphic from https://www.hackster.io/news/raspberry-pi-4-firmware-updates-tested-a-deep-dive-into-thermal-performance-and-optimization-2f22c78e7089

You might want to get a 4b for this workload and apply the latest firmware as explained in the article.

73,

Mickey N4MB

Alf Blomqvist

Hi and tnx fer answer,

I got a Raspberry Pi 4 B today, but I maybe should buy heatsinks also. Maybe a fan later if needed.

For the Pi 3 B I could get heatsinks and maybe a fan. My power supply for this one gives 5.1 V up to 2.5 A.

The power supply for Pi 4 B gives 3 A so I assume that is good.

I try to use the Raspberry Pi 3 B/4 B for remote control over Internet of a Yaesu FT-450D - with JTDX and digi modes.

73 Alf

OH6IH

On 28-09-2020 16:42, Bruce wrote:
Alf, I have the same problem with the same Pi model. I replaced the two heatsinks with larger ones. I've had no problems since. I also was having a slow-down problem that turned out to be the power supply. The 2 amp supply was not adequate. I used an old Roku 2.5 amp supply and that problem also disappeared,

Bruce MacAlister <w4bru@...>

9:24 AM (14 minutes ago)

to RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio

Jerry Rector

Is that particular heat-sink commercially available?

Jerry

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM Rick H <rickfrdm@...> wrote:
I run my Pi 3 and PI4 with a fan bolted to a heatsink which is controlled by a python script, the temperature can be set from 30c to 50c I run both PI at 45c there is circuity to control the fan on/off cycle.

Jason A. Powell

Here's something similar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VWM4J4L/

Jason
KD8FMR

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 11:16 PM Jerry Rector <kb4oam@...> wrote:
Is that particular heat-sink commercially available?

Jerry

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM Rick H <rickfrdm@...> wrote:
I run my Pi 3 and PI4 with a fan bolted to a heatsink which is controlled by a python script, the temperature can be set from 30c to 50c I run both PI at 45c there is circuity to control the fan on/off cycle.

Alf Blomqvist

Good Morning and tnx all for good suggestions!

I maybe start with heatsinks and if not enough I buy Fans.

73 Alf
OH6IH

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

Is that particular heat-sink commercially available?

Jerry

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM Rick H <rickfrdm@...> wrote:
I run my Pi 3 and PI4 with a fan bolted to a heatsink which is controlled by a python script, the temperature can be set from 30c to 50c I run both PI at 45c there is circuity to control the fan on/off cycle.

Denis

Here is a new case that looks interesting.

Denis
WB8SKP

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 3:26 AM Alf Blomqvist <oh6ih@...> wrote:
Good Morning and tnx all for good suggestions!

I maybe start with heatsinks and if not enough I buy Fans.

73 Alf
OH6IH

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

Is that particular heat-sink commercially available?

Jerry

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM Rick H <rickfrdm@...> wrote:
I run my Pi 3 and PI4 with a fan bolted to a heatsink which is controlled by a python script, the temperature can be set from 30c to 50c I run both PI at 45c there is circuity to control the fan on/off cycle.

Box1600

I like the heatsink.

Where'd ya get it ?

73 - Bill KA8VIT