Topics

HamPi Problem: SDRPlay not working with GQRX

Bob

Tried to post as a New Issue in Github, but could not access my new account successfully.  So posting here Dave.... SDRPlay RSP2 working with Cubic SDR -- but NOT GQRX.  Otherwise, I see no other bugs yet.

73 de K4RCG  Bob

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Bob,

Thanks for the report. I have a SDRPlay RSP2. I will test it with GQRX.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Bob

Tnx Dave; I've tested most other aspects of 1.0 and love it... Great work.  SDRPlay RSP2 only thing not working for me.  I tried two RSPs and two Pi4s.  Same no-go.

73
Bob K4RCG

Lawrence Macionski

Dave,
Sorry to see they may be a bug or a glitch. My question is, or rather my comment. It took me a while to download HAMpi1.0 image. A little over 5 hours. In rural Kansas. When the torrent 1st started it said ETA was 1 week.

Perhaps issue a patch to write to an SD card that was created with V1.0 that would make V1.0 into V1.1.

But for those that have never downloaded the V1.0... then update the repositories with V1.1  Then after a period of time delete V1.0 and the patch as we roll forward.

Reason I recommend this is procedure is that many end users  are rural, or 3rd world and have less than stellar internet connections.

Thank you for all your efforts - I still have not plunked down $$$ for RPI4.. so I'm happy with you're first attempt on the air and flying on a RPI3+.

John Wiseman

Even better would be to issue a script that installs the ham software onto a standard Raspbian image. People could then download a few kilobytes instead of many gigabytes.

And if the script included a way to update the programs they wouldn't get out of date almost as soon as they are installed.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 20/06/2020 20:05, Lawrence Macionski via groups.io wrote:
Dave,
Sorry to see they may be a bug or a glitch. My question is, or rather my comment. It took me a while to download HAMpi1.0 image. A little over 5 hours. In rural Kansas. When the torrent 1st started it said ETA was 1 week.

Perhaps issue a patch to write to an SD card that was created with V1.0 that would make V1.0 into V1.1.

But for those that have never downloaded the V1.0... then update the repositories with V1.1  Then after a period of time delete V1.0 and the patch as we roll forward.

Reason I recommend this is procedure is that many end users  are rural, or 3rd world and have less than stellar internet connections.

Thank you for all your efforts - I still have not plunked down $$$ for RPI4.. so I'm happy with you're first attempt on the air and flying on a RPI3+.

David Ranch

While I generically agree with you John, the reality is far from that:

   - Doing updates could result in a LOT of disk I/O which would kill off SD cards rather quickly

   - Most users don't have the interest or patience to do bare builds like this.  A good analogy here is say how Gentoo does this for being a Linux distribution

With that said, W3DJS did publish his Ansible playbooks.  If people moved over to a SSD or HDD for running his image, they technically could do all this.  The challenge here as things change, would they be able to keep the playbooks up to date so things are reliable.  It's possible but it again requires a lot of work which most people won't have any interest in.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 03:05 PM, Lawrence Macionski wrote:
Perhaps issue a patch to write to an SD card that was created with V1.0 that would make V1.0 into V1.1.
That would be a good approach for a smaller piece of software, but I'm afraid it is not feasible for something this large and complex. I believe that your best ally is persistence.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 04:15 PM, John Wiseman wrote:
Even better would be to issue a script that installs the ham software onto a standard Raspbian image. People could then download a few kilobytes instead of many gigabytes.

And if the script included a way to update the programs they wouldn't get out of date almost as soon as they are installed.
I spent six months creating an automated installer using Ansible. It automatically installs all the software. It takes about six hours to run for me.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Danny K5CG <k5cg@...>

Everything except yad and now jq.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 04:15 PM, John Wiseman wrote:
Even better would be to issue a script that installs the ham software onto a standard Raspbian image. People could then download a few kilobytes instead of many gigabytes.

And if the script included a way to update the programs they wouldn't get out of date almost as soon as they are installed.
I spent six months creating an automated installer using Ansible. It automatically installs all the software. It takes about six hours to run for me.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Ranjith Unnikrishnan

Dave

Did it work ? The SDR Play and WSJTX on the Ham Pi .

Thanks

Jith
VU2OY