Topics

HamPi lockup

Keith

Well I got it all downloaded and the os starts up but when it gets to “update software” it sits in “syncronising clock” for ever. First time I tried I gave up after 79 mins, second time after 58 mins. Its on a Pi4 and Im stuck 🤔😩
Any advice please folks ?
cheers

Keith VK6KB/VK6EME

Keith

Panic over 🤪🤪 Changed my wifi to 2.4 ghz and it finished in 7 mins. Didnt like the 5ghz wifi.
Sorry folks I will get there 🤞🏻📡🤞🏻

N5XMT

Very strange... All of my Pi4's (3 4G versions and one 8G) all run 5G wifi without issues

Dave Wade

Not really. 5Ghz does not penetrate walls so well, so you don’t get the same area coverage and may get reduced speed.

I have the same issues in some parts of my house.

Dave

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of N5XMT
Sent: 20 June 2020 14:15
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] HamPi lockup

Very strange... All of my Pi4's (3 4G versions and one 8G) all run 5G wifi without issues

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

I seem to recall some issue on the Pi4 with wifi and certain size display monitors.

Ahhh. I found one of many articles: https://www.zdnet.com/article/raspberry-pi-4-wi-fi-problem-firmware-update-will-fix-your-screen-resolution-bug/#:~:text=Dozens%20of%20Raspberry%20Pi%204,on%20the%20Raspberry%20Pi%20forum.&text=The%20exact%20cause%20remains%20a,interference%20with%20Wi%2DFi%20signals.

You might want to check to see if this is your issue...

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Allen

Dave,
Penetrating walls at 5.GHz is not a problem when you use the proper antenna. Use multi polarized antennas and walls will not be a problem.  We even penetrated multiple concrete walls with rebar. Somewhat pricey but if that is your problem then that is your solution. Our microprocessor and radios at 24dbm will go 4 miles. We did 24 frame rate HD with target traveling 80 to 100MPH. The other problem are walls with steel studs. No problem with multi polarzed antennas. 
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO

Dave Wade

Allen,

No but the PI does not have a proper antenna, and consumer grade routers are also built down to a price, and possibly slugged so they can flog you an upgrade to their mesh product.

So whilst in theory 5Ghz should be better in practice it often isn’t. A few times a friend with a new router has said “why has my wireless slowed” and I switch off 5G and it goes faster.

So far as they are concerned, I fixed it, well until the next driver update from Microsoft re-enables the 5G on the LAN card….

.. any way Flight Refuelling did 24km with 802.11b. No HD video but it was 24km…

Dave

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Allen
Sent: 20 June 2020 18:54
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] HamPi lockup

Dave,
Penetrating walls at 5.GHz is not a problem when you use the proper antenna. Use multi polarized antennas and walls will not be a problem.  We even penetrated multiple concrete walls with rebar. Somewhat pricey but if that is your problem then that is your solution. Our microprocessor and radios at 24dbm will go 4 miles. We did 24 frame rate HD with target traveling 80 to 100MPH. The other problem are walls with steel studs. No problem with multi polarzed antennas. 
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO

David Ranch

Allen,

Why would you recommend users to use a different antenna when the Raspberry Pi doesn't support any form of an external antenna?   Most consumer APs now only offer fixed antennas as well.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 06/20/2020 10:53 AM, Allen wrote:

Dave,
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO

Allen

Dave,
   You stated 24km but what was the output of the signal to the antenna? They are having problems with 5G as the distance is not working out as designed. It does 60 feet at best from the last tests I have seen. 
--
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO