Topics

HamPi 1.0 Released!

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Attention All Hams Using Raspberry Pi For Ham Radio:

I am pleased to announce that HamPi 1.0 is now available for public download!

Please use the attached BitTorrent file to make it easier for everyone to get the image. And after you have completed downloading, please continue to seed for at least a week so other hams can benefit.

If you cannot or will not use BitTorrent, below are several download mirrors.

Direct Download Links:
US Callsign Alpha Prefix download here: https://bit.ly/HamPi_1_0-W3DJS
US Callsign Kilo Prefix download here: https://bit.ly/HamPi_1_0-WA4ZXV
US Callsign November Prefix download here: https://bit.ly/HamPi_1_0-N5XMT
US Callsign Whiskey Prefix download here: https://bit.ly/HamPi_1_0-KE8OHG
All other Prefixes download here: https://bit.ly/HamPi_1_0-VE4VR

If you run into issues, please post to the forum on https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/ first. If you see a bug (defect), please report it on the GitHub issues page at: https://github.com/dslotter/HamPi/issues

Good luck and 73!

HamPi Logo Transparent.png

--
Dave Slotter, W3DJS

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Jeff Palmer

8 Hours later,  I see 11 peers connected, all of which have 0% downloaded (including myself)

I'm guessing we didn't pre-seed to a handful of peers before releasing to the masses.. and the original seeder is offline?

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 12:09 AM Dave Slotter, W3DJS <slotter@...> wrote:
[...]

Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.

Suryono Adisoemarta

Same observation here, out of 3 hours activating my torrent.

73 de Yono - YD0NXX

On Jun 19, 2020, at 7:33 PM, Jeff Palmer <jeff@...> wrote:

[...]

Troy - K4JDA

Has anyone done a comparison of HamPi and KM4ACK’s Build-A-Pi?

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Jeff,

I'm not an expert with BitTorrent -- I made a mistake with starting the Torrent. It's seeding now. I'm going to push the upload speed to maximum.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Jeff Palmer

Dave,

No problem. I just assumed the seeder was offline. Whatever you did
appears to be working.. I now have 10% and am reseeding the data I
have. Well done!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:22 AM Dave Slotter, W3DJS <@slotter> wrote:

Jeff,

I'm not an expert with BitTorrent -- I made a mistake with starting the Torrent. It's seeding now. I'm going to push the upload speed to maximum.

--
- Dave
W3DJS
--
Jeff Palmer
Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.
https://PalmerIT.net

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 09:16 AM, Troy - K4JDA wrote:
KM4ACK’s Build-A-Pi
Troy,

Without providing any opinions, which would probably be self-serving, here are some facts I discovered after I quickly reviewed Build-A-Pi.

Both KM4ACK Build-A-Pi and W3DJS HamPi have their build sources on GitHub. Therefore, the construction of both can be publicly reviewed.

Build-A-Pi uses a series of shell scripts to install ham radio software. When software is compiled, there is little error-checking that I can see.
HamPi uses a series of Ansible Playbooks to install ham radio software. There is error-checking at every single step.

Build-A-Pi installs the FLDigi suite from the Debian packages, and those are out of date.
HamPi installs the FLDigi suite from the most current release sources.

Build-A-Pi installs a fraction of the number of ham radio applications that HamPi does.

HamPi installs a comprehensive set of drivers for Software Defined Radios (SDR). I could not locate any SDR drivers in Build-A-Pi.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Marty Hartwell

Hi Dave

I believe your HamPi offer has a whole lot more software built into it than does the

Build-a-pi offered by Jason KM4ACK.

However I believe you are mistaken on the Fldigi suite offered by Jason and that it is

building the software directly from current up to date source code on the pi.

I took the time to observe the install while it was ongoing and saw it perform.

Not a great big deal but at the time it is used build a pi is current, but at the rate of

up dates to that software suite it is a short period of time between being up to date and

needing to be recompiled to keep up with it. I usually don't keep up with the alpha builds

as I am not a tester, and unless it is some feature I am using I am content to stay behind

the times.

I do plan on getting your new HamPi 1.0 offer as I have an SDR receiver I hope to get working

and am interested in some of your other included software.

Looking forward to getting in on the download.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/19/20 8:45 AM, Dave Slotter, W3DJS wrote:
[...]

N5XMT

Plus we need to understand it was early evening when it was released, and maybe a lot of people hadn't seen the announcement

On Jun 19, 2020, at 06:22, "Dave Slotter, W3DJS" <slotter@...> wrote:
Jeff,

I'm not an expert with BitTorrent -- I made a mistake with starting the Torrent. It's seeding now. I'm going to push the upload speed to maximum.

--
- Dave
   W3DJS

Suryono Adisoemarta

I just took a peek on my laptop and it shows 18 peers, and my download is progressing at 19.45% and I’m uploading at a speed of 49 KiB/s.

So the torrent method works.

73 de Yono - YD0NXX

On Jun 19, 2020, at 7:41 PM, Yono Adisoemarta <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:

[...]

Correct,

It works now, that the initial seed is fixed (as seen later in the group thread)
Once the initial seed was fixed, people started getting the torrent
stream data, and reseeding it immediately. There are now more than a
dozen fully populated seeders, including mine.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 10:41 AM Suryono Adisoemarta via groups.io
<yono_adisoemarta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I'll have mine up and seeding tonight when I get home from work

--
Jeff Palmer
Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.

Bryan Hoffman

Downloaded and installed w/o issue.
Where do I ask a tech Q?
Such as rotating the display 180 deg? I've tried everything that I've found online and it won't rotate a boot. Using the Pi 7" touch screen.
Thanks!!!
Bryan, kc8egv

Mark Griffith

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 11:00:40 AM CDT, Bryan Hoffman <hoffgroup@...> wrote:

Downloaded and installed w/o issue.
Where do I ask a tech Q?
Such as rotating the display 180 deg? I've tried everything that I've found online and it won't rotate a boot. Using the Pi 7" touch screen.
Thanks!!!
Bryan, kc8egv

N5XMT

You can rotate the LCD by editing /boot/config. txt and adding the line: lcd_rotate=2 to the top

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:00 AM Bryan Hoffman <hoffgroup@...> wrote:
Downloaded and installed w/o issue.
Where do I ask a tech Q?
Such as rotating the display 180 deg? I've tried everything that I've found online and it won't rotate a boot. Using the Pi 7" touch screen.
Thanks!!!
Bryan, kc8egv

Jeff Marden

Hello Dave & Group:

I am anxious to try HamPi, but if you mean to compare it to Build-a-Pi, best to use the latest Build-a-Pi version 3.

Hopefully folks can see the values of each of these very innovative Raspberry Pi Ham software packages.

Thanks for making HamPi happen.

--
Jeff Marden
N1JCM

In general, comparisons should wait until people have a chance to download and test.

SD cards are cheap, download and try it out.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:26 AM Jeff Marden via groups.io <jmardensdl=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Dave & Group:

I am anxious to try HamPi, but if you mean to compare it to Build-a-Pi, best to use the latest Build-a-Pi version 3.

Hopefully folks can see the values of each of these very innovative Raspberry Pi Ham software packages.

Thanks for making HamPi happen.

--
Jeff Marden
N1JCM

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Charlie Kotan

Thanks so much for this! I dl the tor in a few mins - beautiful work!  I have a few Pi3 and Pi3+ around so wondering if it's worth building an sd card and giving it a go on one of those? How much RAM is best and how big SD do you recommend?

I'ma newb to Torrent. I'll leave it up a week - do I need to advertise that somewhere?

73, Charlie KØTAN

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 9:09 PM Dave Slotter, W3DJS <slotter@...> wrote:
[...]

John Records

Downloaded and seeding.
I have plenty of room on Google Drive. Do we need another download option from there? Glad to set that up and share the link, please let me know.

And thanks, Dave! Do you have a tip jar someplace?

73 de KE0DDV

Bryan Hoffman

I've tried both lcd_rotate and the display_rotate commands. No luck so far.