Topics

Ham PI 1.0

Rob

I downloaded both files....
  HamPi_v1.....size 3.8GB
  HamPi Imagev.1.0.torreent.....size 38KB

I cant get it in to the etcher to flash either files......I am very new to raspberry pi.

N5XMT

The hampi v1.0.tar, install 7zip and use it to extract the tar file.  You will then have a 3.6gb .img.xz file.  You select that with etcher and it will write it to the SD card

On Jun 22, 2020, at 19:14, Rob <n3ljs@...> wrote:
I downloaded both files....
  HamPi_v1.....size 3.8GB
  HamPi Imagev.1.0.torreent.....size 38KB

I cant get it in to the etcher to flash either files......I am very new to raspberry pi.

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 10:14 PM, Rob wrote:
I downloaded both files....
  HamPi_v1.....size 3.8GB
  HamPi Imagev.1.0.torreent.....size 38KB

I cant get it in to the etcher to flash either files......I am very new to raspberry pi.
The .torrent file is used to download the HamPi image via BitTorrent. However, as you downloaded the HamPi image which is 3.8GB, you already have it.

Balena Etcher on Windows will flash HamPi to a microSD card "as-is". What is your error message?

By the way, from the included download file, "HOW_TO_FLASH_IMAGE.TXT", it says:
No matter if you are a Windows, Mac os Linux user, go to https://www.balena.io/etcher/ and
download and install Balena Etcher. This is the easiest program I can suggest to use.

1. Start Balena Etcher.

2. Click on Select Image and select the downloaded HamPi_v1.0.img.xz file.
   (If you got HamPi in a tar file, you'll need to extract the files from the tar archive first.)

3. Click on Select Drive and select your 16GB or larger (micro)SD card.

4. Click on Flash!

After several minutes, the flashing process will finish, and you can eject the (micro)SD card
and insert it into your Raspberry Pi and power it up.
Hope this helps.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS