Topics

GPS module?

So I looked to buy one for my p4. Too many to select from. I need a suggestion on model..Plug and play if possible.

thanks and 73
--
Norm  WA4ZXV

John Schultz

Ublox vk-172

On Dec 13, 2019, at 13:30, Norm <norman@...> wrote:

So I looked to buy one for my p4. Too many to select from. I need a suggestion on model..Plug and play if possible.

thanks and 73

Ray Wells

I'm not knocking this or any other choice (I like Ublox GPS units), and I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying.

For those new to GPS technology, be aware that it may not be possible to get a signal inside a building, depending on the materials used. My house has a corrugated iron roof, and the timber frame is wrapped in an aluminium clad insulation film. I can't get a GPS signal anywhere in the house except on window sills, and then the house blocks half the sky! This happens with both the Byonics GPS2 and a Garmin GPS18-5Hz. I have better success with a Ublox 4 series (in a RPi model B as a time server) using a separate, amplified antenna, but I still needed the for antenna to be close to a window. Mounting the antenna on the roof solved the signal level problem(;->). YMMV and your house construction might be more RF friendly.

Ray vk2tv

On 14/12/19 6:34 am, John Schultz wrote:
Ublox vk-172

John Schultz

I just took a wild guess that someone asking for "plug and play" is new to GPS / Pi and probably not putting a stratum 1 time server in a bunker.  :-)

John

On 12/13/2019 3:03 PM, Ray Wells wrote:
[...]

Mark J Culross

On Friday, December 13, 2019, 1:30:05 PM CST, Norm <norman@...> wrote:

So I looked to buy one for my p4. Too many to select from. I need a suggestion on model..Plug and play if possible.

thanks and 73
--
Norm  WA4ZXV

Jerome Kutche

Did u find one that you like.. If not let me know.. 73 Jerry N9LYA
Email good on qrz

I6KZR

thanks