Topics

GPS install

Tim Fleming

I’ve trying to install a gps dongle for use with the W3DJS HamPi image. I’ve installed the gps files, modified the gps config file, and installed chrony. When I enter the command “systemctl is-active gpsd” it returns “inactive”. However the similar command for chrony returns “active”. When I enter “lsusb” my gps dongle is listed. Can anyone advise me what my problem with this install could be? Thanks in advance.

send the results of
lsusb
ls /dev/ttyUSB*

And the contents of your configuration file /etc/default/gpsd

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 6:59 PM <timfleming50@...> wrote:
I’ve trying to install a gps dongle for use with the W3DJS HamPi image. I’ve installed the gps files, modified the gps config file, and installed chrony. When I enter the command “systemctl is-active gpsd” it returns “inactive”. However the similar command for chrony returns “active”. When I enter “lsusb” my gps dongle is listed. Can anyone advise me what my problem with this install could be? Thanks in advance.

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Tim Fleming

Thanks for the reply. As you can pretty much tell from my questions, I’m a Raspian newbie. I’m not sure how to send screenshots of the files you mentioned.

73

Tim Fleming
K8TAF

On Jun 21, 2020, at 10:51 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

send the results of
lsusb
ls /dev/ttyUSB*

And the contents of your configuration file /etc/default/gpsd

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 6:59 PM <timfleming50@...> wrote:
I’ve trying to install a gps dongle for use with the W3DJS HamPi image. I’ve installed the gps files, modified the gps config file, and installed chrony. When I enter the command “systemctl is-active gpsd” it returns “inactive”. However the similar command for chrony returns “active”. When I enter “lsusb” my gps dongle is listed. Can anyone advise me what my problem with this install could be? Thanks in advance.

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Alex Fleak (KD0YTE) <afleak@...>

Occasionally gpsd doesn't get started at boot like it should. If you do a sudo systemctrl start gpsd does it start up?

Tim Fleming

Thanks for the advise. After entering the command gpsd fails to start. It generated a journal that basically states that the an exec start process belonging to unit gpsd.service has exited. Failed to start gps daemon.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim Fleming

On Jun 22, 2020, at 2:32 PM, Alex Fleak (KD0YTE) <afleak@...> wrote:

Occasionally gpsd doesn't get started at boot like it should. If you do a sudo systemctrl start gpsd does it start up?

jrreid_24@...

I set up a USB GPS dongle following these instructions from KM4ACK on the same W3DJS build you are using. This is a reiteration of what OH8STN had done previously.

https://youtu.be/Oag9qYuhMGg

73
KM4VHB
Jason

David Ranch

On 06/22/2020 11:59 AM, Tim Fleming wrote:
Thanks for the advise. After entering the command gpsd fails to start. It generated a journal that basically states that the an exec start process belonging to unit gpsd.service has exited. Failed to start gps daemon.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim Fleming

On Jun 22, 2020, at 2:32 PM, Alex Fleak (KD0YTE) <afleak@...> wrote:

Occasionally gpsd doesn't get started at boot like it should. If you do a sudo systemctrl start gpsd does it start up?

jrreid_24@...

I'll add I didn't realize this issue was on HamPi. That makes remote digi extremely difficult if your GPS can't provide a clock. Very disappointing. Hope more users than Tim are trying to figure this out or have figured it out. It's a no go for me if I can't use the GPS dongle. Just gave to stick with the old 2.0 as I'm not savvy enough to figure it out.
Thanks for all your hard work Dave. I'm running your 2.0 so since it ain't broke I'll hang on to it for now.

Bill AA6BD

Wow, David, great article, and with LOTS of other information, too.
--
Bill AA6BD

Tim Fleming

After playing around with this for awhile I ran across a gps faq by Jason, KM4ACK that “SEEMS” to allow a gps to used with HamPi. So far, it’s working.