Topics

good program for communicating with a radio usb port

Patricia Wilson

I have an FT-891 which has a USB port and I would like to find out if there is a good program for communicating with it. Either command line or GUI. TIA.

--
μολὼν λαβέ
73 de WB8DXX

David Ranch

Check out Flrig..

    http://www.w1hkj.com/flrig-help/

On 09/11/2020 05:31 PM, Patricia Wilson wrote:
I have an FT-891 which has a USB port and I would like to find out if there is a good program for communicating with it. Either command line or GUI. TIA.

--
μολὼν λαβέ
73 de WB8DXX
Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL

Patricia Wilson

I admire and enjoy both flrig and fldigi. I want something that allows me to send cat commands I formulate from either a command line or a text GUI. I don't think flrig supports that, does it?

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 6:51 PM David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

Check out Flrig..

    http://www.w1hkj.com/flrig-help/

On 09/11/2020 05:31 PM, Patricia Wilson wrote:
I have an FT-891 which has a USB port and I would like to find out if there is a good program for communicating with it. Either command line or GUI. TIA.

--
μολὼν λαβέ
73 de WB8DXX
Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL

--
μολὼν λαβέ
73 de WB8DXX
Patricia Wilson
Apache Junction, AZ
Member NRA, ARRL

David Ranch

Hello Patricia,

Yes. Flrig support this..

   http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/html/xmlrpc_control_page.html

If you don't want to run Flrig + XML commands, you can alternatively use Hamlib's rigctl:

   https://www.mankier.com/1/rigctl

On 09/11/2020 08:15 PM, Patricia Wilson wrote:
[...]

Stephan Greene

DX-Commander also works well.  Has a feature for adding user-customizable commands to the GUI (FLrig may have as well, just haven't researched as deeply).

Of note, WSJT-X can use FLrig or DX-commander as the radio interface in addition to it's built-in hamlib support. Just select FLRig or DXCommander as the "radio".

73 Steve KS1G

Jerry Johnston

I really like DX Commander .  I use it exclusively as my CAT software for my FT-891.
It is one of a suite of programs to support your radio activities,  They work great, are
well supported and all free.

NV7T

Patricia Wilson

Thank you I will take a look at both of these. I must admit that I only ever use flrig as a gui rig control.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 9:00 PM David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Melcher

But DX Commander doesn’t run on RPi, does it?
--
Don
W6CZ

Stephan Greene

I will say there is a learning curve to the DXLabas software; once you get through it, it is very capable.  Since this is an RPi focused group, I don't recall if DXLabs is even available for the Pi.  The FLrig/digi combo *does* run well on the Pi.

73 de KS1G