Topics

Getting started with the W3DJS V2 image

Joe Spears

I cannot understand why so many are strugglng to get the image working.  The autohotspot is a great addition and easy to configure so it is not active at home.  I don't use a separate monitor or keyboard for the pi.  I use SSH and VNC to access the pi.  After booting up the image the first time do the following.

1. Point you computer at the pi's autohotspot network and sign on to that network
2. SSH into the pi with the  10.0.0.5 ip with your favorite SSH client
3. Run raspi-config and change password, change name (I use my call), expand file system, set time zone, change screen resolution for VNC to work properly and any other config considerations
4. Edit wpa_supplicant.conf  and add your home network or other networks you may connect to (phone hotspot, laptop hotspot, etc.)  Now the pi will check and connect to a favored network before starting the hotspot.
5. Reboot pi and sign back into your home network and you should see it on your network wifi.  Use VNC or SSH to connect to the pi.  You will need to see what IP has been assigned to the pi by your network.
6. Update and upgrade pi
7. You will probably want to change the name of autohotspot network and password.

If you are not familiar with SSH, VNC, and the basics of the pi,.don't panic but use this as a learning experience.  raspberrypi.org has good documentation to help you learn your pi.

STEVE Channel

Spot on advice, Joe! I took some time on the raspberry site “drinking from a firehouse” working to learn some basic operations. Then after some false starts I’m now up and running...looking to use this for portable ops where WIFI doesn’t happen. What helped me was the utility to back up (create) a  micro SSD after each new step...certainly saved me from recreating things from whole cloth if I messed up a step. Love to opportunity this hobby provides us to learn new things!

Walter Holmes K5WH

Very good info.

Now, don’t forget to add one other step to recover the File Manager that gets broken by the apt-get update command as of late.

Where it crashed when you try to use it.

apt full-upgrade  puts it back to normal again.

Walter/K5WH

[...]

Mike - KD6BOS

That advice seems solid. But when I setup the autohotspot straight from full 2.0 image it broadcasts the ssid but wont allow a connection via ssh or vnc. It also for what ever reason says password is incorrect. I tried leaving as default 1234567890 and have shortened it. I also am getting an error when switching from local wifi to autspot

Tim Carroll

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 07:51 AM, Joe Spears wrote:
wpa_supplicant.conf
where is this file located at on pi?I am having troubles getting wifi to work also used killhotspot but still did not work

Thanks
Tim
KE4HGP

rx@...

Hi

Mine is...

etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Regards

MarK
G6JVY

Larry Greenwald

Hi Tim,

pi@rpi3:~ $ locate wpa_supplicant.conf
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Larry
WB0SIO

On 12/31/19 2:27 AM, Tim Carroll wrote:
On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 07:51 AM, Joe Spears wrote:
wpa_supplicant.conf
where is this file located at on pi?I am having troubles getting wifi to work also used killhotspot but still did not work

Thanks
Tim
KE4HGP

Brian Webster

KillHotspot case sensitive. Killing the hotspot only makes the Wired interface work properly.

Brian N2KGC