Topics

Getting AP mode to work on the new Ham Pi image

George Zafiropoulos <george.zaff@...>

Dave - Thank you for all the hard work to pull this together !

I am sure this topic has been covered many times but I would appreciate some clarification.
I want to use a tablet with Real VNC to talk to the PI.
When I boot the new Ham Pi image, WiFi is turned on and see's other AP's in the area.  It seems to not come up in Access Point mode itself.
When I read the older posts on this list there is  lot of good advice but the older posts say that the PI should boot in AP mode, not in a client mode.
Unless I am missing something, what I see is exactly the opposite.
The question is how do I put the PI into AP mode for field operating?

Thanks for help.
73 George

Mark Griffith

With the latest Raspbian (or whatever it's called today), the default is to come up in client mode.  There is supposed to be a way with the Pi4 (and perhaps the 3B+) to bring it up in client AND AP mode, but I have not tried.  Making it come up in AP mode just requires editing a few files.  There may be an app for that, I don't know.

If you are wanting to use the Rpi in the field, the best option, IMO, is to use a COTS WiFi (Commercial Off The Shelf) router and AP like the old Linksys WRT-54 or equivalent.  Just bring it up with the default software, or reflash it with DD-WRT and it becomes the Access Point.  Plug your Pi, or several Rpi's into the switch ports with Ethernet cables, and you can have access to several Rpi's running different software, or for different users.  Make the SSID on the router your ham call sign, like KD0QYN-AP, connect to that WiFi, and each of the Pi's plugged in will have an IP address assigned by the router.  Once you know those, the rest is easy.  Connect with SSH or VNC or through HTTP, whatever.

If you add an external AP, like a TP-Link CPE-510, you can greatly extend the WiFi range and allow users from different locations to access your Raspberry Pi machines.  I have something like this setup for my EMCOMM station and it works perfectly.

Lots of possibilities there.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, June 22, 2020, 9:27:24 AM CDT, George Zafiropoulos <george.zaff@...> wrote:

Dave - Thank you for all the hard work to pull this together !

I am sure this topic has been covered many times but I would appreciate some clarification.
I want to use a tablet with Real VNC to talk to the PI.
When I boot the new Ham Pi image, WiFi is turned on and see's other AP's in the area.  It seems to not come up in Access Point mode itself.
When I read the older posts on this list there is  lot of good advice but the older posts say that the PI should boot in AP mode, not in a client mode.
Unless I am missing something, what I see is exactly the opposite.
The question is how do I put the PI into AP mode for field operating?

Thanks for help.
73 George

George Zafiropoulos <george.zaff@...>

Thanks Mark,
I really appreciate the reply and your thoughts.  I have a tiny portable router I could use.  I was just trying to minimize the clutter and eliminate the router if possible.  I figure if the PI supports AP mode then I don't need to bring the extra little AP box.  If not that is not a big deal, just one more thing to bring.
I am testing it with an RPI 3 at the moment.  I have an RPI 4 on order.  I assume the 3 hardware supports AP mode.  If not, that may be the reason I come up in client mode.
If anyone knows the magic config parameters to change, please let me know.
Thanks,
George

Bill WA4OPQ

Bill AA6BD

I haven't worked with Ham Pi but I recommend an alternative that does just about the same thing:  KM4ACK's Build-a-Pi, now at V3.  It has an AP built into it.  It supports selectively installing and uninstalling ham radio applications.  I don't know if you want to start over, but if you do, see his stuff at https://app.simplenote.com/publish/kqPjB5 and his great YouTube videos that explain and demonstrate.  His Hotspot Tools support you running a hotspot/ AP on your Pi or connecting to a known network.  HamClock is a fun display.  I just loaded this latest version and am using PAT Winlink on it.
--
Bill AA6BD

George Zafiropoulos <george.zaff@...>

Thanks Bill
I will check that out.
George

George Zafiropoulos <george.zaff@...>

Hi Bill,
I did see these instructions.  I just figured that before I went off and modified a bunch of config files and installed new stuff that I should see if there is an easy to do "click here" option.
Thank you.
George

Bryan Waller

This worked well for me:
https://youtu.be/7kB2L-dQVr8

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 10:27 AM, George Zafiropoulos wrote:
Dave - Thank you for all the hard work to pull this together !

I am sure this topic has been covered many times but I would appreciate some clarification.
I want to use a tablet with Real VNC to talk to the PI.
When I boot the new Ham Pi image, WiFi is turned on and see's other AP's in the area.  It seems to not come up in Access Point mode itself.
When I read the older posts on this list there is  lot of good advice but the older posts say that the PI should boot in AP mode, not in a client mode.
Unless I am missing something, what I see is exactly the opposite.
The question is how do I put the PI into AP mode for field operating?
I'm a little late to the party here because there have already been a number of replies to this thread... That said:

You're welcome!

If you want to add AP mode to the Raspberry Pi, there are a number of guides on the web to do this. I didn't do this to the HamPi image because it caused a lot of confusion last time. Most people don't want AP mode, so I'm setting up the image for the majority. That said, here's one guide which I haven't tested but may work for you: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/access-point-routed.md Good luck with this.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS