Topics

Getting a DRA-30 to work with Pi, PAT, Direwolf

Bill AA6BD

I am trying to get a DRA-30 soundcard/ radio adapter working on 2M VHF Packet as a Winlink station.  I have previously used a Raspberry Pi and a Byonics TT4 TNC and a Yaesu FT1 radio successfully.  I want to explore using other devices to connect, and don't want to get a Signalink so I have the flexibility to go faster than 1200 baud in the future.  I have a Raspberry Pi with PAT as the Winlink client and Direwolf as the software TNC.  I connected the DRA-30 to the Raspberry Pi using the supplied USB cable, and connected the radio, a Yaesu FT1, using a cable that I used successfully to connect the FT1 to a Byonics TT4 TNC.  It has a resistor connecting pins 1 and 3 to enable PTT.

I installed Direwolf with the CM108 GPIO PTT support to enable it to activate the PTT.

When I power up the station, I see a blue LED and a blinking green LED on the DRA-30.

When I try to connect from PAT through Direwolf to the DRA-30 and the radio, using the ax.25 transport, I see a delay of perhaps 5 seconds, then I see the red LED flash and the transmit light on the radio flash, but get an error message from PAT "unable to establish connection to remote: network is unreachable."  The blue LED goes off and the green LED now is on and no longer blinking.

The Direwolf log shows:
Invalid transmit channel 8 from KISS client app.

<<< Data frame from KISS client application, port 8, total length = 18
  000:  80 82 82 6c 84 88 40 f4 82 82 6c 84 88 40 61 3f  ...l..@...l..@a?
  010:  a4 1b                                            ..
Invalid transmit channel 2 from KISS client app.

<<< Data frame from KISS client application, port 2, total length = 18
  000:  20 82 82 6c 84 88 40 f4 82 82 6c 84 88 40 61 3f   ..l..@...l..@a?
  010:  2f 99                                            /.
[0L] AA6BD>AA6BD-10:(SABM cmd, p=1)
Audio input device 0 error code -19: No such device
Write to /dev/hidraw0 failed, n=-1, errno=32
ERROR:  PTT for channel 0 has failed.  See User Guide for troubleshooting tips.
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Audio input device 0 error code -77: File descriptor in bad state
Terminating after audio input failure.

Do you have any advice how to proceed to get this to work for me?
--
Bill AA6BD

Martin Cooper

You didn't say how you configured Direwolf to use the device. However, from reading this:

it looks like the DR-30 does *not* use the CM108 / CM119 GPIO for PTT, so if you're trying to use that, that may be your problem.

Martin.
KD6YAM

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 11:37 AM Bill AA6BD <bill@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark Griffith

Well Bill, if you do some Google searches, you'll come up with the answer to the error in the direwolf log, and following the hints given in the error output for troubleshooting should also help.

The error here: Write to /dev/hidraw0 failed, n=-1, errno=32, probably means you set the device wrong in the conf file.  Go back an read the direwolf setup docs again.  Pay attention to aplay and arecord.

Can't help with the DRA-30 though, don't have one.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020, 1:11:41 PM CDT, Bill AA6BD <bill@...> wrote:

[...]

David Ranch

Hello Bill,

Per http://www.masterscommunications.com/products/radio-adapter/dra/dra-features.html, that says their products are Linux compatible and more over, http://www.masterscommunications.com/products/radio-adapter/dra/dra-description.html says:
--
Genuine C-Media CM119A:
   - All DRA Series radio adapters include a geniune CM119A chipset for best digital transfer performance.

Bill, can you elaborate how are you asserting PTT from your DRA30?  Maybe you're using the DRA-30's "VOX10" board that you might be using but I would NOT recommend to use VOX (for anything really).

   http://www.masterscommunications.com/products/radio-adapter/vox10/vox10.html

Per Section 9.1.3 of the Direwolf UserGuide at https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/dev/doc/User-Guide.pdf , try running the "cm108" program to see if PTT is being recognized on your DRA-30.  The presence of the "HID" device name MUST be listed

As to your other issues, you reported Direwolf lines like:
--
Audio input device 0 error code -19: No such device
Write to /dev/hidraw0 failed, n=-1, errno=32
ERROR:  PTT for channel 0 has failed.  See User Guide for troubleshooting tips.
--

I bet you're seeing RFI issues so try this:  Reboot your computer and once it's fully up, run the command "dmesg" and review the final part of that output to see the machine is happy.  Now bring up the AX.25 packet stack.  Again, look at the output of "dmesg".  Now try to connect to a remote Winlink station and then again look at the output of "dmesg".  If I'm right, you're having RFI issues with the DRA-30 being too close to your HT and the DRA-30 is dropping out of the USB bus and then later re-adding once things reset.   Move your antenna farther away from all the I/O cables going to the computer and/or add ferrites on all cables going in/out of the setup.

Finally, regarding your argument for "higher speeds", beware that I don't think Yaesu FT-1 doesn't offers discriminator input to the external jack so you won't be able to go much faster than say 2400bps:

   https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/dev/doc/2400-4800-PSK-for-APRS-Packet-Radio.pdf

On 07/14/2020 12:12 PM, Martin Cooper wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the comments.

I verified that the DRA-30 DOES use the CM108 GPIO 3 / pin 13 for PTT as specified in the Direwolf User Guide.  I am not using the VOX10 board.

I verified that the device was set up correctly in the config file.  arecord and aplay show that the soundcard is card 2, device 0  and my direwolf.conf file has
ADEVICE plughw:2,0

David, I think you won the prize -- and helped me get it working.  I separated the Raspberry Pi and the DRA-30 by about 4 feet, and also separated the DRA-30 and radio by about 3 feet -- and it almost worked.  The Direwolf console indicated that the "audio input level is too high."  (Magic that it knows!)  I adjusted the trimmer pot down by half and it still said it was too high.  I adjusted it down to just a hair above zero -- and I have a successful session with one gateway which is very near to me.

I will try another gateway and further adjustment of the input and output levels and see if I can improve it further.  And I will try some ferrites on the cables as I would really like to have these devices closer together.

I am using the FT-1 because it is available right now.  I have an FT-8900 which should be good to 9600 baud but it is currently running my gateway.  There isn't a gateway faster than 1200 baud right now but I am looking to the future.

--
Bill AA6BD

Bill AA6BD

David,
I put a ferrite on the USB cable and the radio cable.   The devices are side by side and working great.
--
Bill AA6BD