Topics

[EXTERNAL] [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] TNC-Pi Now Available

I used to be down on 9600 baud.  It was too expensive for the result, plus just going to dedicated links or getting rid of acknowledgments was a bigger deal.

But then I found out about surplus radios and NinoTNC.

On Oct 19, 2020, at 5:05 PM, David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

There is a reason why it hasn't been really adopted for APRS:  diminishing returns   Check out WB2OSZ's write up on this:

   https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/dev/doc/Why-is-9600-only-twice-as-fast-as-1200.pdf

Basically, higher speed needs faster key-up and settling times which is just not available in HAM voice-grade FM radios.  Once upon a time, there were HAM data-grade radios from vendors like Tekk, SCS, which were more than an order of magnitude faster but all of those are essentially gone now.  Also remember that for an effective network, both sides of the link needs fast radios.

On 10/19/2020 12:43 PM, Zonker Harris via groups.io wrote:
  I’ve been using 9600 for APRS in the SF Bay Area, documented here…

Sadly, there is not much adoption, since I haven’t managed to find a way for 9600 users to hear local 144.39 stations, or vice-versa. We thought it could alleviate some of the local congestion, but never completed a gateway that filtered only for “nearby” stations to repeat to the “other” band.

         Best regards,

              N6UOW@...