Topics

[EXTERNAL] [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] TNC-Pi Now Available

Kevin Elliott

That NinoTNC looks great. Sure do wish it was a hat rather than USB though. Happen to know if there are any plans for that?

Kevin

On Oct 19, 2020, at 2:23 PM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via groups.io <tadd@...> wrote:

This is nuts.  We are using 1200,2400,4800 and 9600 on our local network using Raspberry PIs and NinoTNC.  NinoTNC does all 4 bit rates without reprogramming and costs $30.  You just have to pick good radios for the high speed stuff.  Tait TM8105 is great if you get the 2m model.

<image.jpg>

Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Oct 19, 2020, at 5:05 PM, David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

There is a reason why it hasn't been really adopted for APRS:  diminishing returns   Check out WB2OSZ's write up on this:

   https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/dev/doc/Why-is-9600-only-twice-as-fast-as-1200.pdf

Basically, higher speed needs faster key-up and settling times which is just not available in HAM voice-grade FM radios.  Once upon a time, there were HAM data-grade radios from vendors like Tekk, SCS, which were more than an order of magnitude faster but all of those are essentially gone now.  Also remember that for an effective network, both sides of the link needs fast radios.

On 10/19/2020 12:43 PM, Zonker Harris via groups.io wrote:
  I’ve been using 9600 for APRS in the SF Bay Area, documented here…

Sadly, there is not much adoption, since I haven’t managed to find a way for 9600 users to hear local 144.39 stations, or vice-versa. We thought it could alleviate some of the local congestion, but never completed a gateway that filtered only for “nearby” stations to repeat to the “other” band.

         Best regards,

              N6UOW@...