Topics

DRAWS activation


Rico Abagnale <rico@...>
 

Hi everybody,

I just got the HamPi to work on a raspberry pi 3b+. 
Since I do have a DRAWS hat on top of it I would like to activate it. So I followed the instructions. I uncommented the lines in the /boot/config.txt. But after reboot the three devices don't show up. I checked the config.txt and the changes are still visible. But somehow the system doesn't activate the DRAWS hat. 
By the way: I power the Pi with the normal 5V into the micro USB. But I don't think, that this is important, or is it?

73,
Rico
DG5BQ


 

This is the second report I have seen.  I will try to get time to investigate this weekend.

Please include the generation (or order number) of your DRAWS™ board.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:31 AM Rico Abagnale <rico@...> wrote:
Hi everybody,

I just got the HamPi to work on a raspberry pi 3b+. 
Since I do have a DRAWS hat on top of it I would like to activate it. So I followed the instructions. I uncommented the lines in the /boot/config.txt. But after reboot the three devices don't show up. I checked the config.txt and the changes are still visible. But somehow the system doesn't activate the DRAWS hat. 
By the way: I power the Pi with the normal 5V into the micro USB. But I don't think, that this is important, or is it?

73,
Rico
DG5BQ



--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

 


Rico Abagnale, DG5BQ <rico@...>
 

Hi John,

it is the generation 1, I suppose. It has the little connector for the GPS on the same side as the 6-pin connectors. Order number 5482, Nov. 19th 2018


 

I had a few minutes and loaded up the bittorrent version of the image, and burned it to a 32 GB SD card using the Balena Etcher program.

I first placed it in a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and booted it up.  Did the usual setup responses.  Rebooted. Then edited /boot/config.txt according to the document on the desktop, and rebooted.  After boot up it was nominal with the devices created in /dev (also then expanded the filesystem using raspi-config)  This had an early version DRAWS™ HAT.

I then powered down and moved the SD Card over to a Raspi 4 (4GB) and booted it.  Again, it was nominal with the devices created in /dev  This had a more recent (SMA on End) DRAWS™ HAT

I also went to /proc/device-tree/hat  and looked through the product* and vendor files and it was reporting as expected.

If the 'hat' information isn't there, you might check your dmesg and /var/log/syslog for any diagnostic hints.  Also verify your HAT is properly seated.


--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

 


 

I am observing an issue on RPi 4 and have passed to the engineers for validation.


On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 3:46 PM John D Hays - K7VE via groups.io <john=hays.org@groups.io> wrote:
I had a few minutes and loaded up the bittorrent version of the image, and burned it to a 32 GB SD card using the Balena Etcher program.

I first placed it in a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and booted it up.  Did the usual setup responses.  Rebooted. Then edited /boot/config.txt according to the document on the desktop, and rebooted.  After boot up it was nominal with the devices created in /dev (also then expanded the filesystem using raspi-config)  This had an early version DRAWS™ HAT.

I then powered down and moved the SD Card over to a Raspi 4 (4GB) and booted it.  Again, it was nominal with the devices created in /dev  This had a more recent (SMA on End) DRAWS™ HAT

I also went to /proc/device-tree/hat  and looked through the product* and vendor files and it was reporting as expected.

If the 'hat' information isn't there, you might check your dmesg and /var/log/syslog for any diagnostic hints.  Also verify your HAT is properly seated.


--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

 



--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

 


Rico Abagnale, DG5BQ <rico@...>
 

I didn’t use the BitTorrent version but the alternative. 

So later I will do it all over again with a BitTorrent verspinn. I will keep you informed. 


Jeff Palmer
 

Both versions have the same checksums. There is no difference between them.




On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 3:45 AM Rico Abagnale, DG5BQ <rico@...> wrote:

I didn’t use the BitTorrent version but the alternative. 

So later I will do it all over again with a BitTorrent verspinn. I will keep you informed. 


oh7t@...
 

Hi


I have similar issue here with DRAWS SMA connector for GPS antenna and so.... and RPi3B+ 

Done with instructions, and no - no expected results do come over

pi@raspberrypi:/ $ cd /dev && ls -l ttySC0 ttySC1 pps0

ls: tiedostoa 'ttySC0' ei voi käsitellä: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole

ls: tiedostoa 'ttySC1' ei voi käsitellä: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole

ls: tiedostoa 'pps0' ei voi käsitellä: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole

cannot handle - such file or folder doesnt exist

any good ideas ?


 

Which OS image and set of instructions?


On Tue, Aug 4, 2020, 05:36 <oh7t@...> wrote:

Hi


I have similar issue here with DRAWS SMA connector for GPS antenna and so.... and RPi3B+ 

Done with instructions, and no - no expected results do come over

pi@raspberrypi:/ $ cd /dev && ls -l ttySC0 ttySC1 pps0

ls: tiedostoa 'ttySC0' ei voi käsitellä: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole

ls: tiedostoa 'ttySC1' ei voi käsitellä: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole

ls: tiedostoa 'pps0' ei voi käsitellä: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole

cannot handle - such file or folder doesnt exist

any good ideas ?


oh7t@...
 
Edited

HAmPi today downloaded 
and instructions on working table. 

Here is results after re-installing everything and done as shown instructions

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd /dev && ls -l ttySC0 ttySC1 pps0

ls: cannot access 'ttySC0': No such file or directory

ls: cannot access 'ttySC1': No such file or directory

ls: cannot access 'pps0': No such file or directory

Is my DRAWS fault one?

 

And if need some another info, pls tell me what command I should to use - have totally no idea how these things works... 


Teme <oh7t@...>
 

And here is that instruction for:
Activating the DRAWS™ on HamPi requires a few simple changes. The first is modifying the
/boot/config.txt file, this can be done after you burn the image to the SD either while still mounted to
your computer where you copied the image, or by editing with your preferred editor, such as nano or
vi, after the HamPi image is booted.
Example using vi (sudo should be used with the editor to overcome permissions issues):
sudo vi /boot/config.txt
Near the bottom of the file you must uncomment the highlighted lines:
# Flush all overlays, ie. deprecated overlays loaded from eeprom
dtoverlay=
# Enable UDRC/DRAWS if no EEPROM
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
# https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/configtxt/overclocking.md
force_turbo=1
Save the file and reboot.
See that these new device files now appear:
pi@hampi:~ $ cd /dev && ls -l ttySC0 ttySC1 pps0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 241, 0 Jun 8 17:46 pps0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 239, 0 Jun 8 17:46 ttySC0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 239, 1 Jun 8 17:46 ttySC1 

As you'll notice - I get totally something else as result