Topics

direwolf & ptt

Folkert van Heusden

Hi,

I would like to connect an RPI to a Condor 16 transceiver. That is an
older 2m radio.
The raspberry pi would be running direwolf.

Now the audio-connection would be simply connecting pin 7+3 to audio-in
on the soundcard and 7+5 to audio-out of the soundcard (soundcard: a
usb sound module from china).
The ptt on the other hand is more interesting. I can use a GPIO pin for
that. I was thiking connecting 7+11 of the condor to a PC817 opto-
coupler and then the other end of the opto via a 220 ohm resistor to an
unused gpio pin.
Do you guys think this wil work? Anyone experience with this?

Folkert van Heusden
PD9FVH

Todd Kolmodin <n7try.or@...>

Hello Folkert,
I use the Pi and Direwolf in the scenario you mention.
I take the PTT from GPIO 24 and DCD (optional) from GPIO 25. These are configurable in direwolf.conf
Now, the PTT switch.
I use an FOD817 Optocoupler.   The GPIO PTT goes to pin 1 of the 817 and take pin 2 of the 817 to ground through a 680 Ohm resistor to limit current in the diode.
Ground pin 3 of the 817. Pin 4 should go to the 5V source on the GPIO through a 10k resistor (either pins 2 or 4.)  Take the PTT to the radio also from pin 4.
I've tested this on Yaesu mobile rigs, Alinco DR119 and the Baofeng 5Rs.  The pull-up 10K on pin 4 of the 817 keeps the 817 from floating when the biasing diode floats when the PTT signal isn't 3.3v.  (This is sometimes a problem with the Baofengs as they can stick in transmit even though the GPIO 3.3 has gone low.
Attached is a sketch of my circuit that works.  I'm sure the circuit isn't perfect but it works for my scenario
73, de Todd N7TRY

I'm making an assumption you are using a Pi 3.  The GPIO may be different if you are using an older version of the Pi

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 12:52 PM Folkert van Heusden <folkert@...> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to connect an RPI to a Condor 16 transceiver. That is an
older 2m radio.
The raspberry pi would be running direwolf.

Now the audio-connection would be simply connecting pin 7+3 to audio-in
on the soundcard and 7+5 to audio-out of the soundcard (soundcard: a
usb sound module from china).
The ptt on the other hand is more interesting. I can use a GPIO pin for
that. I was thiking connecting 7+11 of the condor to a PC817 opto-
coupler and then the other end of the opto via a 220 ohm resistor to an
unused gpio pin.
Do you guys think this wil work? Anyone experience with this?

Folkert van Heusden
PD9FVH

Mark Griffith

If you want to do this the easy way,  use a Signalink USB.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 3:44 PM, Todd Kolmodin
<n7try.or@...> wrote:
[...]

rx@...

This was my plug n play way for £5ukp

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XK6HCQC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_kfegEbNAV8KGE

Regards - Mark G6JVY

Noel Petit

see Oct 2019 QST for this circuit using a 2N2222 transistor. The optoisolator is a good option as well.

WB0VGI