Direwolf and ax25 and pat not playing nicely

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

I setup a new pi with a new SD card to run pat . I setup direwolf and staretd it with direwolf -p
Then I started kissattach only to get a permissions error that I can't resolve.
if I go with the idea of using /dev/pts from below then I have to modify the statement every time I run the Pi. It was suggested in an earlier message that you must be in the dialout group. That didn't work either.

Any other suggestions?

pi@pat-winlink:~ $ direwolf -p
Dire Wolf DEVELOPMENT version 1.7 A (Oct 13 2021)
Includes optional support for:  cm108-ptt

Reading config file direwolf.conf
Audio device for both receive and transmit: plughw:1,0  (channel 0)
Channel 0: 1200 baud, AFSK 1200 & 2200 Hz, A+, 44100 sample rate / 3.
Using /dev/hidraw0 GPIO 3 for channel 0 PTT control.
Ready to accept AGW client application 0 on port 8000 ...
Ready to accept KISS TCP client application 0 on port 8001 ...
Virtual KISS TNC is available on /dev/pts/0
Created symlink /tmp/kisstnc -> /dev/pts/0

pi@pat-winlink:~ $ sudo /usr/sbin/kissattach /tmp/kisstnc wl2k
kissattach: /tmp/kisstnc: open: Permission denied

pi@pat-winlink:~ $ groups
pi adm tty dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev lpadmin gpio i2c spi

David Ranch

I'm not sure why you're using that kissattach command as it's incomplete.  Please see page 26 of the Direwolf User Guide:

   https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wb2osz/direwolf/master/doc/User-Guide.pdf
   --
   sudo /usr/sbin/kissattach `ls -l /tmp/kisstnc | awk '{ print $11 }'` radio 44.56.4.118
   --

So.. in your more specific case, you would want something like the following (the 44.128.0.1 is just a placeholder IP and isn't always required.. depends on your specific setup):

   sudo /usr/sbin/kissattach `ls -l /tmp/kisstnc | awk '{ print $11 }'` wl2k 44.128.0.1

On 10/15/2021 06:18 AM, Mike Lussier - AE4ML wrote:
[...]

Trying to get PAT and Dire Wolf, to talk to each other, is a constant source of aggravation.  AX.25 for Linux takes some effort to get working properly.

The author of PAT was working on a way to make PAT talk directly to Dire Wolf.  This would make things MUCH easier.

https://github.com/la5nta/wl2k-go/issues/57#issuecomment-638993557

If more people expressed an interest in this capability, it might get finished sooner.

Mike Lussier - AE4ML

If direwolf would interface better with ax25 and specifically kissattach then it would be a piece of cake. I have for the most part had. I problems with Pat and direwolf more so firework and it’s connection with kissattach. The fix seems to be starting direwolf as root. No I don’t care for that but it works .