Topics

Direwolf

JJ

Mine also is fine, I'm running direwolf here (latest dev version) on my old pi server..in fact, I don't ever recall it hanging once for the years I've been running it..only time I ever have to reboot the pi is for other changes unrelated to DW...I run DW on three other computers also with no issues (X64)...

My best run was 6 months on the pi, it sits headless over by the HF/VHF rigs..but the new FX25 mode came along, and of COURSE I had to try it! BTW, FX25 works REALLY well, especially on my HF ports...seems to be more resistant to phase errors and multipath...on HF, best thruput was achieved for me on HF with -X 16, and paclen 100....YMMV...

John

ve1jot

I have experimented with Direwolf, and while it is easy to get configured, and it does work pretty well, I have found it to be unreliable and needs to be restarted or the Raspberry Pi rebooted frequently or Direwolf will just hang.  Perhaps there is more testing I can do to figure this out, but for now I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the new TNC-Pi.

Direwolf is extremely impressive on it's decode rates and I've personally found it VERY reliable.  My APRS IGate has been running for 112 days and has decoded 1.74M APRS packets so far!  Even on the rare situation of a hang, Direwolf can be made to auto-restart as well as have the entire Raspberry Pi restart if needed.  The overall solution can be made to be rock solid.

I have also found direwolf to be very reliable running on the Raspberry Pi.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 1:30 AM JJ <ve1jot@...> wrote:

[...]

Kingston, WA
K7VE

steve rasbach

I have found and heard that a lot of weird issues that come up with Pi based setups tends to come down to issues with the power supply that's feeding them.  I actually had a Pi-hole start acting weird and swapping the power supply has resulted in a rock solid and reliable Pi.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 4:30 AM JJ <ve1jot@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Griffith

I agree that weirdness on a Raspberry Pi can be caused by the power supply.  I hope that most hams here know that if the red power light is blinking, that is a bad sign.

On the latest Raspbian, Buster, you can scan the log file /var/log/syslog and see how many under voltage warnings have occurred in the current day.  This may also work on Stretch or Jessie, but I don't have any instances right now of those OS versions to test.

sudo grep -a Under-voltage /var/log/syslog | wc -l

I have developed some simple scripts for the new version of the PiGate RMS that will send the ham admin an email once a day with some system stats and the number of under voltage alerts is one of them.  It's good info to know.

If the power supply starts to have problems, the number of alerts will increase drastically to the point where there will be hundreds each day.  I've seen 500 or more and the Pi is still working OK.  That is the time to look at replacing the power supply.  This is a good way to check on the power and replace it before it wipes out the SD card, however you may be able to go for months and not see a problem.  I have read that the under voltage alerts are very sensitive and may not represent the true power supply voltage and current.  That may be, but I know if I monitor it, I feel better when I don't see them at all.

I have been using these converters for some time and they work really well:

I get mine from eBay and normally get modules that have two USB outlets so I can power two Pi's off one converter.  There are others like this out there.

This whole power process is hard to figure out.  Some of the power supplies I have work well, and some don't.  I've checked the output voltages and that doesn't seem to make much difference.

For example, one of the CPT power converters will output 4.98 volts, which is supposed to be too low for the Pi, but the Pi it powers never has any under voltage alerts.  But I use short good quality cables.  Some other power supplies will output 5.15 or 5.2 volts and they produce a lot of under voltage alerts, even though I thought the cables were OK.  The only way to really know is to try one and monitor the log file.

Yes, I know about the lightning icon on the screen.  I use all my Pi's headless so I don't see that.  Besides, my Pi's are processing stuff when I'm not there watching.

A low number of under voltage alerts is not significant, I don't worry if it is 10 or less.

Mark
KD0QYN