Cell phone connection to admin PiGate

vince kd7tww

Mark

When I try to use my phone to access the admin login page at http://10.10.10.10/admin.php, my phone or your software adds https://. Is there a fix for this? I was only able to connect with the cell phone once. Thanks

--
73, de Vince KD7TWW
In what year did the FCC mandate the 1500 Watt PEP limit for amateur radio station

Mark Griffith

Vince,

Are you using an image that you have not made any changes to?  You mentioned in a previous message about trying to connect the PiGate to your local WiFi, which is is not designed to do.  The software only uses the WiFi hardware on the Pi for the local hot spot.  If you plug your PiGate into your local network using an Ethernet cable, then it will appear on your network with a local IP address and you can access it that way.  Changing the WiFi interface to connect to your local network would require you to modify several OS network config files and put you in the unsupported category.

First, make a new SD card using a stock image. Make sure it boots correctly and wait for the "PiGate" WiFi hot spot to appear on your phone.  If it does not appear then it has not booted correctly.  It may take a minute or two before it appears.

When it appears, connect to the "PiGate" WiFi hit spot using the standard method on your phone.  Some of the newer phones will make a connection and then test it to see if the Internet is available.  This is the phone manufacturer trying to connect to their Internet sites to track your usage and whatever other metrics they are gathering.  Some of the newer phones will drop the connection with a message that the Internet connection is not reliable or suitable, or some message like that.  This is a function of the phone and I can't do anything about it.  The PiGate WiFi hot spot is of course not connected to the Internet.

My up-to-date Samsung J7 phone works just fine.  If you are unable to make a WiFi connection, you might want to try an older phone, or a tablet.

Once you make a sustained WiFi connection, then go to the URL 10.10.10.10/admin.php and you will connect to the admin page login.

You might also want to watch the several videos I placed on the PiGate web site that cover all the new features of the 2.0 interface.

The error message about your grid square is bogus and can be ignored.  It will be fixed in the next version.

Logging in via VNC will not get you anything other than a standard Raspbian GUI.  If you want to use it as a desktop, that is something else, but you can't get more control over the PiGate functons than what you get through the admin interface.  If you want to use VNC over a Ethernet cable connection, you must use VNC Viewer, and connect to "yourpigateip:5900"

Please let me know if I can help further.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Thursday, September 30, 2021, 08:17:05 AM CDT, vince kd7tww <vince@...> wrote:

Mark

When I try to use my phone to access the admin login page at
http://10.10.10.10/admin.php, my phone or your software adds https://.
Is there a fix for this? I was only able to connect with the cell phone
once. Thanks

--
73, de Vince KD7TWW
In what year did the FCC mandate the 1500 Watt PEP limit for amateur radio station
power output? - Motorola Corp was formally named
"Galvin Manufacturing Corporation" (1928–1947)

vince kd7tww

Hi Mark

Gosh you would think I cant read your instructions! You see, my issue Mark is I don't comprehend very well. I have several books, mags in my library and their good as new! I don't read very and my grammar is terrible! I had a very difficult childhood (broken home). And Ham junk peaks my interest as a hobby. HIHI  Thanks. I appreciate your help Mark...

1. I have a MFJ TNC with a Raspb Pi B 3+ What is the port settings, Mark? I2C and so on? Serial??

A stock image from your site, no changes... I did nothing to update the Rasbian software. You see... I can follow along... LOL

" Trying to connect the PiGate to your local WiFi, which is is not designed to do.  The software only uses the WiFi hardware on the Pi for the local hot spot"

I did not know this"  I do now..." I was thinking out loud and trying to remote control the PiGate headless till is was configured and setup. I know about Headless Pi's"

Okay, I'l try connecting a Ethernet cable next, I tried Chrome and the https was not added. So I'll use Chrome on my phone from now on...  My phone is fine, it's the Firefox app doing things.  I was able to connect with Chrome.  Grid square, okay not a problem....  Looks like Pigate setup is okay? I followed your Microsoft Word instructions and needed to stop and ask questions. I'll get there. One step at a time HIHI.  Software first then the cables and Radio.

2. Question: I tried looking for a Winlink phone app. Now? How do you send Winlink email? ?.  Maybe I need to read more...  Thanks loads!!

3. So other users will connect to my Pi to send out Email? ?

On 09/30/21 8:56 AM, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Watch the videos I put up on the PiGate site.  http://www.pigate.net/videos.html

Let me know if you have more questions.

Mark
KD0QYN