Topics

CAT Control Options

Daniel Norris

Hi Glen,

You know, I thought it was an "official" cable from Yaesu, but it's a Vertex Standard brand CT-62 adapter.  its logo just looks a little like a YS.    I put in an order last week for an XGGCOMMS cat & isolated audio adapter, so I'll be able to report back if that works well for me.

My problem with the pi powering up wasn't what I thought it was. I cut the positive wire in a usb extension cable, verified it was disconnected, and plugged in the adapter and the pi powered right up.  Turns out I accidentally wired the power switch for the 12v-5v adapter that powers the pi into the ground wire, so when the usb adapter was plugged in, it connected the ground from the 5v side of the power adapter and it started pumping out 5v to the pi.  Easy fix!   Still might need the 5v disconnect for the usb, though.  tbd...

@Chuck - that model was difficult to slice -> gcode.  I got it to print, but it was too thin.  I'll have to make another model later & have another try to make an insert.

--Dan
KK6WCG

Chuck M

It is a very thin print.  Has to be to fit and not cause other problems in fitting inside of the USB connectors.
Can email you the gcode I used.  Using Cura 4.4 with an Ender 3 printer.  Be sure to use hairspray or something similar to make sure print sticks to the bed.

Just installed a dual gear extruder, Winsinn, model from Amazon.  Under $20.  Works well.  Very good control of filaments. Did find that regular and flexible filaments need different esteps setting on my machine.  Simple entering of "M92 E123.45", where the 123.45 is the new setting, followed by M500 to save, when switching filament types.

If unsure how to check this, will send video link.

73
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Friday, May 29, 2020, 3:55:14 PM EDT, Daniel Norris <norris.daniel@...> wrote:

[...]

N5XMT

I used a tiny strip of electrical tape and tweezers to lay it on the positive terminal of the ISB connector

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:55 PM Daniel Norris <norris.daniel@...> wrote:
[...]

Marty Hartwell

Hi

I am not sure how they are connected but I think Vertex Standard is Yaesu USA or some such

but it should be an official cable.

Marty kd8bj

On 5/29/20 2:55 PM, Daniel Norris wrote:
[...]

Vertex was the commercial radio side of Yaesu. Motorola bought Yaesu, for that that customer base, but wasn't interested in Amateur so sold that side of the business back to. The family that had previously owned it and that is Yaesu today.

On Sat, May 30, 2020, 08:52 Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi John

Good bit of history there, I have been using Yaesu products for a long time and currently

use an FT2800, Vx5r and a FT8717 original from about 2004. It has only been back to

Yaesu to get the power connector replaced. I also have an old Kenwood  430 I am looking

at to see if it works.

I knew I had seen the Vertex Standard on some of the parts for the Vx5r, so figured it

was part of Yaesu somehow.

Marty kd8bj

On 5/30/20 10:57 AM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the typos, I was responding on my phone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaesu_(brand)

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 8:57 AM John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Bill - N6EF

I bought the Valley Enterprises cable for my 857 from Amazon and it works great. It's a bit more expensive than similar cables, but it had good reviews so I took a chance on it. I can use it for rig control with a Pi3B+ and Pi4B using flrig, fldigi, wsjt-x, and js8call. No problems. It keys the radio just fine with CAT control from the applications. I can also use it with CQRLog logging program and the program reads the frequency and mode. The program won't key the radio. I just had to set the interface to be /dev/ttyUSB0 and all the applications supported it.

I hope that helps.

73,
Bill - N6EF

W6TUX Dave

John, I realize I'm coming into this late, but absolutely have never had a problem with FTDI USB cables - Prolific was always hit or miss.  For many years now have purchased FTDI cables from Mark KJ6ZWL (BlueMax49ers on eBay), have enjoyed excellent response time and not a single failure yet.  https://www.ebay.com/usr/bluemax49ers?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Replaced our old IC-718 with a 7300 a couple years ago, but here is the FTDI USB CAT cable for the 718:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-CI-V-CAT-Programming-Cable-CAT-CI-V-IC-718-IC-725-IC-726-IC-728-CT-17/151268063957?hash=item2338477ad5:g:mskAAOSwG~ZaEIoB

73, dave/W6TUX