Topics

Can't update and can't remove WSJTx

Thomas Tumino
 

The goal is to upgrade to WSJT 2.1.2.   

I am running the W3DJS image with Buster on my RPI 4, and no matter what I do I am stuck with WSJTx 2.1.0

Attempting to remove wsjtx with the add/remove GUI has no actual effect on the program even though it it becomes "unchecked" 

The latest general release armhf.deb (2.1.2) from the WSJT site appears to install without problems, but has no effect in the end on my setup.  I still have only WSJTx 2.1.0

I have tried all the sudo apt-get remove and purge commands to remove WSJTx 2.1.0 in order to start from scratch, those commands have no effect on my WSJT.  Those commands act as if they are removing 2.1.2 that I attempted to install even though that 2.1.2 never showed up in any menu. 

I have tried downloading compiling and installing 2.1.2 to no effect. Running the WSJT executable that results from compiling 2.1.2 just starts 2.1.0

In the simplest terms possible can someone tell me what is happening here and how do I fix it?   

73,
Tom, N2YTF

Bob
 

Tom, I am a TOTAL novice with RasPi, so I apologize in advance if this reply is silly.... But I had the same problem.  I eventually found a way to completely remove ALL artifacts of the older version of WSJT-X, then install a fresh/upgrade version from the Princeton web site, and it worked.  Took me forever to figure out how to do this and again, I apologize for not being able to accurately describe the steps.  I'm not really sure what I did!  HIHI Hope this helps in a small way.

73 de Bob K4RCG

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 7:08 AM Thomas Tumino <thomastumino@...> wrote:
The goal is to upgrade to WSJT 2.1.2.   

I am running the W3DJS image with Buster on my RPI 4, and no matter what I do I am stuck with WSJTx 2.1.0

Attempting to remove wsjtx with the add/remove GUI has no actual effect on the program even though it it becomes "unchecked" 

The latest general release armhf.deb (2.1.2) from the WSJT site appears to install without problems, but has no effect in the end on my setup.  I still have only WSJTx 2.1.0

I have tried all the sudo apt-get remove and purge commands to remove WSJTx 2.1.0 in order to start from scratch, those commands have no effect on my WSJT.  Those commands act as if they are removing 2.1.2 that I attempted to install even though that 2.1.2 never showed up in any menu. 

I have tried downloading compiling and installing 2.1.2 to no effect. Running the WSJT executable that results from compiling 2.1.2 just starts 2.1.0

In the simplest terms possible can someone tell me what is happening here and how do I fix it?   

73,
Tom, N2YTF

Andy McMullin
 

It sounds to me like your PATH variable isn’t pointing where you think. You could try:

which wsjtx 

To find out which one you’re actually running. Don’t forget that the current directory isn’t always in your execution path so a “cd” to the executable won’t work unless you add a “./“ before the executable’s name. The dot slash says look in the current directory for it. 

I hope this helps. 

Regards
Andy

On 1 Jun 2020, at 13:11, Bob <bobstohlman@...> wrote:


Tom, I am a TOTAL novice with RasPi, so I apologize in advance if this reply is silly.... But I had the same problem.  I eventually found a way to completely remove ALL artifacts of the older version of WSJT-X, then install a fresh/upgrade version from the Princeton web site, and it worked.  Took me forever to figure out how to do this and again, I apologize for not being able to accurately describe the steps.  I'm not really sure what I did!  HIHI Hope this helps in a small way.

73 de Bob K4RCG

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 7:08 AM Thomas Tumino <thomastumino@...> wrote:
The goal is to upgrade to WSJT 2.1.2.   

I am running the W3DJS image with Buster on my RPI 4, and no matter what I do I am stuck with WSJTx 2.1.0

Attempting to remove wsjtx with the add/remove GUI has no actual effect on the program even though it it becomes "unchecked" 

The latest general release armhf.deb (2.1.2) from the WSJT site appears to install without problems, but has no effect in the end on my setup.  I still have only WSJTx 2.1.0

I have tried all the sudo apt-get remove and purge commands to remove WSJTx 2.1.0 in order to start from scratch, those commands have no effect on my WSJT.  Those commands act as if they are removing 2.1.2 that I attempted to install even though that 2.1.2 never showed up in any menu. 

I have tried downloading compiling and installing 2.1.2 to no effect. Running the WSJT executable that results from compiling 2.1.2 just starts 2.1.0

In the simplest terms possible can someone tell me what is happening here and how do I fix it?   

73,
Tom, N2YTF

Thomas Tumino
 

If only it was that easy Bob.

Thanks for the advice but the WSJT-X webpage instructions have no effect on this installation.  They claim to have installed and removed the program, but there is no difference at all in my setup. When I start WSJT I am still at 2.1.0.

73,
Tom, N2YTF

Thomas Tumino
 

Thanks for the advice Andy.

which wsjtx 

returns:

/usr/local/bin/wsjtx

Those files in the directory are completely undisturbed by the sudo apt-get / remove/purge commands.
In addition the directory permissions are such that I can't write to or change the contents of the directory. Neither can I change the directory permissions. This seems to be some sort of property of the image.

Still stuck but thank you for the advice,
Tom, N2YTF

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>
 

On 5/31/20 11:19 PM, Thomas Tumino wrote:
The goal is to upgrade to WSJT 2.1.2.

I am running the W3DJS image with Buster on my RPI 4,
This may not apply to the W3DJS image and
if you are interested in upgrading to 2.2.0,
I upgraded from 2.1.0 to 2.2.0 by downloading the current 'GA'

wget https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx_2.2.0_armhf.deb

Then

sudo dpkg -i wsjtx_2.2.0_armhf.deb

voila!

Chuck

Bob Bennett
 

I had to uninstall the version I had before I could install the new one. I used Synaptic. 


Bib NZ2Z

Thomas Tumino
 

Thanks for the advice Chuck, unfortunately I have tried that before, just tried it again with 2.2.1 and it does not work for me. It appears to work but there is no change, but tonight I did figure out the problem.

For unknown reasons my image had wsjtx installed in the directory /usr/local/bin

Apparently sudo dpkg and all the other common methods of installing wsjtx and removing wsjtx including the GUI add/remove programs go under the assumption the previous installation was in /usr/bin 
Apparently they never actually check the system to see where the program is actually  installed.

If wsjtx is running from any other directory, for example in my case /usr/local/bin , then the add/remove programs GUI, the sudo dpkg, the sudo apt remove or purge---none of them will touch /usr/local/bin and you will be confused and frustrated.

The solution for me was to install the latest wsjtx by any of the "normal" means, then I changed the GUI shortcuts to point to the new wsjtx file in /usr/bin

Still don't know how to actually remove the old wsjtx from the PI.  Its still in there.  I imagine there must be a way to have the remove or purge commands go after things in a different directory then their standard directory...

73 & thanks to all,
Tom, N2YTF

Marty Hartwell
 

Hi Thomas

I think, means not sure, that if you compile, and install on your system, then it is installed in

/usr/local/bin. If you have it installed from the repository then it is installed in /usr/bin. So

I also think there is an option to the install during compile command "sudo make install" to do

the uninstall, like "sudo make uninstall".  That kinda means to me that at sometime early on

you or someone compiled this earlier version of wsjtx. Then later it was put into the repository

and was installed to your system from apt-get or synaptic manager.

Again remember this something that I "think" may have happened.


Marty kd8bj


On 6/6/20 9:46 PM, Thomas Tumino wrote:
Thanks for the advice Chuck, unfortunately I have tried that before, just tried it again with 2.2.1 and it does not work for me. It appears to work but there is no change, but tonight I did figure out the problem.

For unknown reasons my image had wsjtx installed in the directory /usr/local/bin

Apparently sudo dpkg and all the other common methods of installing wsjtx and removing wsjtx including the GUI add/remove programs go under the assumption the previous installation was in /usr/bin 
Apparently they never actually check the system to see where the program is actually  installed.

If wsjtx is running from any other directory, for example in my case /usr/local/bin , then the add/remove programs GUI, the sudo dpkg, the sudo apt remove or purge---none of them will touch /usr/local/bin and you will be confused and frustrated.

The solution for me was to install the latest wsjtx by any of the "normal" means, then I changed the GUI shortcuts to point to the new wsjtx file in /usr/bin

Still don't know how to actually remove the old wsjtx from the PI.  Its still in there.  I imagine there must be a way to have the remove or purge commands go after things in a different directory then their standard directory...

73 & thanks to all,
Tom, N2YTF

km4ack
 

I haven't loaded Dave's build in a while but you should be able to run
sudo apt-get remove wsjtx
to remove the current loaded version. Then reinstall as others have suggested.

73, de KM4ACK