From: "vince kd7tww"
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 04:23:27 PM
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Burning PiGate images with Win32 Disk img

--

Silverfox

Windows USB is horrible.  Try a different port or do it right after a restart.
Alan

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021, 3:23 PM vince kd7tww <vince@...> wrote:
Hello

My Sd-card burns are taking a LONG time. Like 3/4 hours. Is this unusual?

--
73, de Vince KD7TWW
In what year did the FCC mandate the 1500 Watt PEP limit for amateur radio station
power output? - Motorola Corp was formally named
"Galvin Manufacturing Corporation" (1928–1947)

vince kd7tww

Mick

32GB PNY Sd-card with about a 2.5 gig PiGate RMS image file. TY 73

On 09/27/21 4:51 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA) via groups.io wrote:

What size SD card? The bigger the card, the longer it takes. As well as the larger the file size when you save an image.

Mick - W7CAT

> My Sd-card burns are taking a LONG time. Like 3/4 hours. Is this unusual?
>
> --
> 73, de Vince KD7TWW
> In what year did the FCC mandate the 1500 Watt PEP limit for amateur radio station
> power output? - Motorola Corp was formally named
> "Galvin Manufacturing Corporation" (1928–1947)

73, de Vince KD7TWW
In what year did the FCC mandate the 1500 Watt PEP limit for amateur radio station
power output? - Motorola Corp was formally named
"Galvin Manufacturing Corporation" (1928–1947)

Hello Vince,

I would consider using a 4 gig or 8 gig SD card. It will take less time to image and saving the image will be much smaller.

Mick - W7CAT

> 32GB PNY Sd-card with about a 2.5 gig PiGate RMS image file. TY 73
>
> On 09/27/21 4:51 PM, Teton Amateur Radio Repeater Association (TARRA)
> via groups.io wrote:
> >
> > What size SD card? The bigger the card, the longer it takes. As well
> > as the larger the file size when you save an image.
> >
> > Mick - W7CAT

Mark Griffith

Vince,

The PiGate images are all 16GB, so if you put it on a larger SD, don't forget to use the raspi-config program to fill out the SD card or the size of the available card space will be 16GB.

It can take a long time depending upon the speed of your USB port.  Some are really slow.  Copying a 16GB image on my laptop probably takes about 15 minutes or so.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 05:23:37 PM CDT, vince kd7tww <vince@...> wrote:

Hello

My Sd-card burns are taking a LONG time. Like 3/4 hours. Is this unusual?

--
73, de Vince KD7TWW
In what year did the FCC mandate the 1500 Watt PEP limit for amateur radio station
power output? - Motorola Corp was formally named
"Galvin Manufacturing Corporation" (1928–1947)

vince kd7tww

Hmm. That's funny. I download the Pigate RMS and it's 2.5 Gb compressed and the img file is 521 mb. So is there something wrong?

Doesn't sound right -- how are you decompressing? You may want to try the actual Raspberry Pi imager.  https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 7:27 PM vince kd7tww <vince@...> wrote:

[...]

Kingston, WA
K7VE / WRJT-215

Mark Griffith

Vince,

The ZIPPED image is about 2.5GB, but if you unzip it, there should be an image file of 16GB.  Perhaps your unzip software is not working as expected?

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 09:27:10 PM CDT, vince kd7tww <vince@...> wrote:

[...]

No, it's not 16 GB uncompressed. It's about 8GB uncompressed. Is that why my Pi wont boot?

On 09/27/21 10:41 PM, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Okay

Let's see if Raspb Pi imager will work? Downloaded, in use now.  73 vince

On 09/27/21 8:46 PM, John D Hays - K7VE via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Charles Gallo

Interesting that you didn't run pishrink on the image, so that it can fit on as small a SD card as it can, and it auto expands to fill the card!

I release distros for work all the time, and after I've used dd to make the image, I run pishrink to make it fit, then I zip it to make it easier to deal with:

https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink

On 2021-09-28 06:05, vince kd7tww wrote:

Mark

[...]

No! there is not. Only about 7 - 8 Gb file in the zip. Maybe we are not on the same page? Sorry to bother you?
I'm confused. If you can Google Duo with me for clearance that would be fine too. I can email you my cell #. 73

[...]

Oh yeah, I forgot that I had to go with 16GB cards because the image size was slightly larger than 8GB. So yeah the uncompressed image will be about 8GB.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM, vince kd7tww
<vince@...> wrote:

[...]

Chuck M

tossing in my $2 worth (inflation you know) I prefer the Rufus imager.  Have W8.1 on my 2 laptops.

Do have headaches now and then completely cleaning some SD cards of their previous file structure, partitions, etc..  Developed a list of steps to follow using DISKPART from the command prompt to delete the existing partitions and such.  Then Rufus will do a nice job of creating the new image on the SD card.

Best of luck with whatever method you follow.

Chuck
KD9DVB

<vince@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul M

Consider using Etcher. It's a free download, and burns images to USB cards/sticks on Linux, Macs, Windows,

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

HTH

Paul
5b8ba

Dave R

You need the arm version, not available on the balena website. This should work. 73