Topics

B+ or 3B+ or 4

NKemp

I have a Pi B+ (no WiFi).  Has anyone used a B+ (not a 3B+) with WiFi dongle and if so how well does it run (looking to run FS8Call at a minimum)?  Or is a more rewarding path to simple get a Pi 3 or 4?

I know that is vague but what I'm really wondering if the B+ with a WiFi dongle may simply be underpowered for the application.

Bobby Goins

I've been running JS8CALL on a RPi-2B for the last two days.  Everything seems to be working well, even with the GPS dongle active.

I use either my laptop, or cell phone, to remote into the Pi via a Edimax wifi dongle.

Bobby - KN4I

On 12/13/19 11:25 PM, NKemp wrote:
I have a Pi B+ (no WiFi).  Has anyone used a B+ (not a 3B+) with WiFi dongle and if so how well does it run (looking to run FS8Call at a minimum)?  Or is a more rewarding path to simple get a Pi 3 or 4?

I know that is vague but what I'm really wondering if the B+ with a WiFi dongle may simply be underpowered for the application.

John Schultz

That is great info Bobby.  Want to set up an absolute minimal station, the power requirements of older boards are better.

On 12/13/2019 10:52 PM, Bobby Goins wrote:
I've been running JS8CALL on a RPi-2B for the last two days.  Everything seems to be working well, even with the GPS dongle active.

I use either my laptop, or cell phone, to remote into the Pi via a Edimax wifi dongle.

Bobby - KN4I

On 12/13/19 11:25 PM, NKemp wrote:
I have a Pi B+ (no WiFi).  Has anyone used a B+ (not a 3B+) with WiFi dongle and if so how well does it run (looking to run FS8Call at a minimum)?  Or is a more rewarding path to simple get a Pi 3 or 4?

I know that is vague but what I'm really wondering if the B+ with a WiFi dongle may simply be underpowered for the application.

Bern Ghis

Hi all,
Here have a pi 2b. Microsd 8gb (class 10)
No keyboard no mouse and no screen.
Access via rj45, local net and VNC.
Only dongle soundcard and ttl interface for cat with ft817
Running wsjtx 2.1.0  mode wspr only.
Power supply linear : only  400 mA @5v
73
Mry Chrtmas and hny
Bernard de On7an

Envoyé de mon iPhone XR 👍

Le 14 déc. 2019 à 07:36, John Schultz <sturmgewehr762@...> a écrit :

That is great info Bobby.  Want to set up an absolute minimal station, the power requirements of older boards are better.

On 12/13/2019 10:52 PM, Bobby Goins wrote:
I've been running JS8CALL on a RPi-2B for the last two days.  Everything seems to be working well, even with the GPS dongle active.

I use either my laptop, or cell phone, to remote into the Pi via a Edimax wifi dongle.

Bobby - KN4I

On 12/13/19 11:25 PM, NKemp wrote:
I have a Pi B+ (no WiFi).  Has anyone used a B+ (not a 3B+) with WiFi dongle and if so how well does it run (looking to run FS8Call at a minimum)?  Or is a more rewarding path to simple get a Pi 3 or 4?

I know that is vague but what I'm really wondering if the B+ with a WiFi dongle may simply be underpowered for the application.

Marty Hartwell

Hi

Well I am assuming you have a 2 B+, what my other Pi is, and it does run on some Wifi dongles. I have

an old TP-Link slow, and a newer one also is faster. What I have found is that included with the Raspian

Stretch and now Buster does not have the driver for the wifi. I must hook up the eth0 wired and

do the update/upgrade to bring in the needed drivers and what all. Then it works well on wifi.

I haven't yet tried FS8Call or those digital modes yet, but plan on trying them. I do compile and

run most of the Fldigital suite of softwares on it and they work fine, but I expect it might get be

able to be overloaded. I may keep mine for later conversion to a dedicated ham service later.

I have the new Pi 4 with 4GB ram, and plan to try to use it to replace my old laptop. I also will

I think at this price get another for ham use for use in the field. My home is just not suitable

for ham work here. Well I do some VHF operation from the mobile in the drive way now and then.

Good luck

Marty kd8bj