Topics

APRS-IS passes weather, RF does not

Bill WA4OPQ

When I put my new RasPi/TNC-Pi9K6 digipeater on APRS-IS it sends the beacons with the weather. 

If I shut off the internet port it still sends the first half with location, (over RF), but the weather portion disappears.

I'm still in the troubleshooting process, but I thought I'd put this here in case someone has experienced it and can save me grief.

I'm using YAAC and have fully reinstalled it. IFR says my dev is 3.5KHz   Radio is a new Leixen VV-898S  Next step is to swap TNCs

Thanks!

Mat Murdock

Where does the information for the weather come from?

Mat

Bill WA4OPQ

From WeeWx via wxnow.txt

Brian Webster

Do you need to configure a separate beacon for the WX data? It might also be possible that the software has a limitation on how often you can send a WX beacon compared to a regular beacon. I know the recommendation over RF for weather data is nor more than every 15 minutes. Logic being weather data does not change that much to justify congesting the channel with large wx data packets. On the IS it’s not a problem. So it makes me wonder if that is not coded into the software. Try creating a separate WX beacon and making it go out at a slower rate? It might also be good to restrict the path of that particular beacon if the goal is to just show it local and/or get it to the internet.

Brian N2KGC

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io [mailto:RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill WA4OPQ
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 10:04 PM
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] APRS-IS passes weather, RF does not

From WeeWx via wxnow.txt

Bill WA4OPQ

I haven't found a way to do that in YAAC, so far. It has a standard beacon setup and a checkbox adds the weather.

I have two stations in my shack, One on outside antenna and the new one on dummy load. The older station has an identical setup (except has Pi-TNC) and it works perfectly on it.

Brian Webster

I was looking at YAAC when I suggested that. On the beacon configuration page in expert mode, you can use the dropdown menu and there is an add new dialog below the default one.

If you have another station identical to it then I would check more on the way you have the weather set up in your new setup. Double check to make sure your weather port is working properly. Maybe alter the timing the file is polled just to make sure you don’t have a timing conflict polling that file with your other station. Make sure your new station actually has connectivity to the computer with the WxNow text file as well. It could be something simple like the new station is not connected to the network properly and cannot browse to get the file.

Brian N2KGC

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io [mailto:RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill WA4OPQ
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:55 PM

I haven't found a way to do that in YAAC, so far. It has a standard beacon setup and a checkbox adds the weather.

I have two stations in my shack, One on outside antenna and the new one on dummy load. The older station has an identical setup (except has Pi-TNC) and it works perfectly on it.

Bill WA4OPQ

Hi Brian, thanks for the tips.

I configured a second beacon and it acted the same way. I reactivated APRS-IS and the weather went out OK, that shows that it is successfully finding wxnow.txt.

I spent some time shuffling equipment parts and found that the problem follows the TNC

I'm going to try to find an older copy of the teensy firmware and give that a try.

Brian Webster

Please keep the list informed of what you find. Nice troubleshooting skills to get to this stage of identifying the problem.

Brian N2KGC

Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 1:18 AM

Hi Brian, thanks for the tips.

I configured a second beacon and it acted the same way. I reactivated APRS-IS and the weather went out OK, that shows that it is successfully finding wxnow.txt.

I spent some time shuffling equipment parts and found that the problem follows the TNC

I'm going to try to find an older copy of the teensy firmware and give that a try.

Bill WA4OPQ

Another couple of days of troubleshooting shows the following:

1) It might be the TNC or it might be the APRS client (YAAC). I need to find another client that uses wxnow.txt to determine.

2) It only affects the transmit, so if I put the 9k6 TNC on the iGate and the Pi-TNC on the remote digipeater the data makes it to APRS-IS.

3) However, this workaround is not reliable. The weather data makes it through about 60% of the time. That's a whole new can of worms.

Max

A small logic analyzer would be almost perfect connected to the serial signal from the pi going to the tnc. You still have to do some manual decoding but the payload of a kiss frame is in plain text. The analyzer I used was the smallest one made by Saleae . Using this allowed me to determine at least where the problem was. If this is on a Pi4 then configure one of the extra serial ports (I think it has five or six but only four a usable at a time due to other conflicts) and connect the output of the serial port connected to the tnc to the input of the extra serial port, then run one of the serial decoders to show the hex and ascii values of your data. Even if you don't know what you're looking at, you should notice a big difference in a good / bad frame. I currently have one of the small bluetooth to serial converters connected much the same way to my pi/tncPi. I connect to it using a table and run AprsDroid. By moving one wire I can see the output of the tnc or the Pi but not both.

Maybe I at least gave you some ideas.

Max KG4PID 

On Monday, March 30, 2020, 11:19:43 AM CDT, Bill WA4OPQ <wa4opq@...> wrote:

1) It might be the TNC or it might be the APRS client (YAAC). I need to find another client that uses wxnow.txt to determine.

2) It only affects the transmit, so if I put the 9k6 TNC on the iGate and the Pi-TNC on the remote digipeater the data makes it to APRS-IS.

3) However, this workaround is not reliable. The weather data makes it through about 60% of the time. That's a whole new can of worms.

Bill WA4OPQ

Max,

Thanks for the idea. I think that's the way to really know what's going on.

I used to have easy access to logic analyzers and quite an assortment of test equipment. Then I retired and moved away. <sigh>

John Tetreault (WA1OKB)

Direwolf uses wxnow.txt

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, 12:19 PM Bill WA4OPQ <wa4opq@...> wrote:

Bill WA4OPQ

I have aprx sending weather via RF.

So it appears that it is not the tnc, rather it's the software.

I will let the author of YAAC know.

Bill WA4OPQ

Edited

I thought I'd wrap this up in case some poor soul has the same problem in the future.

I contacted YAAC's author, he made some timing changes but it still wouldn't send the weather.

YAAC sends a wx packet immediately after the position packet so it looks like it's a buffer issue that is unique to the YAAC/TNC-Pi9k6 combo.

I tried the same software with a new Nino TNC and it passed traffic just fine.

So my solution is switching to the Nino TNC,  Problem solved.