Topics

Advice for my "remote" mobile rig control? #flrig

Randon Loeb

We get a lot of thunderstorms here in South Florida, so my idea/plan is to remotely operate my mobile HF (in the car in my driveway) from a room in the house whenever the forecast is in doubt. Basically no lightning-in-the-shack risk this way. Rechargeable battery, car not running.

I'm thinking I can put a rpi in the car and control either my ft-891 or preferably ic-7100 with flrig by vnc/rdp'ing into the pi over wifi. 

The depth of my familiarity with flrig is just using it from my windows laptop to control the ft-891 but still doing phone & cw tx/rx the "old fashioned way" directly with the mic or keyer.

Anybody done anything like this? Are there features of flrig I can leverage for phone or cw modes with the setup above I've described? Or should I look at flrig as a way to control the radio itself, but handle phone and cw input/output some other way? 

I know there are commercial "remote rig" solutions, but I'd rather homebrew something on the cheap and unsophisticated given what I need it for, i.e. just to be able to not lose out on weekend radio fun due to thunderstorms, etc.

Thanks & 73
Randy KN4YRM

Max

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 04:57:29 PM CDT, Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:

We get a lot of thunderstorms here in South Florida, so my idea/plan is to remotely operate my mobile HF (in the car in my driveway) from a room in the house whenever the forecast is in doubt. Basically no lightning-in-the-shack risk this way. Rechargeable battery, car not running.

I'm thinking I can put a rpi in the car and control either my ft-891 or preferably ic-7100 with flrig by vnc/rdp'ing into the pi over wifi. 

The depth of my familiarity with flrig is just using it from my windows laptop to control the ft-891 but still doing phone & cw tx/rx the "old fashioned way" directly with the mic or keyer.

Anybody done anything like this? Are there features of flrig I can leverage for phone or cw modes with the setup above I've described? Or should I look at flrig as a way to control the radio itself, but handle phone and cw input/output some other way? 

I know there are commercial "remote rig" solutions, but I'd rather homebrew something on the cheap and unsophisticated given what I need it for, i.e. just to be able to not lose out on weekend radio fun due to thunderstorms, etc.

Thanks & 73
Randy KN4YRM

Chuck M

Also look at March 2020 QST issue on using pi with no machine software.  Worked with psk31 and other Digi modes.  Haven't got sound working yet for phone contacts.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 8:41 PM, Max via groups.io
<kg4pid@...> wrote:
On Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 04:57:29 PM CDT, Randon Loeb <randonloeb18@...> wrote:

Thanks & 73
Randy KN4YRM