TNC-Pi9k6 firmware

KN6FOA

I’ve been trying to compile the TNC-Pi9k6’s firmware now for a few months with no luck.  I am trying to make it so I can attach 3 of them to a single PI.  Would someone be so kind as to compile 3 different versions of the firmware for me so I can flash them and use three TNC-Pi9k6 (Teensy 3.6) and use it with I2C instead?  I really am at wits-end with compiling this and I’m a software engineer.

Mat Murdock

My understanding is I2C is just used for configuring the TNC but not for packet communication.  I think there was a post regarding that a couple of months ago.  If you want to stack multiple TNC-Pi9k6 you will need to grab a raspberry Pi 4 which has 6 UARTS and then connect them to the teensy.  This shouldn't be two hard to do with some jumper wires.

Pi 4 UART Info: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/uart.md

Mat

John G8BPQ

No, the TNC can use i2c for communication, but you have to configure it in the firmware, you can't change it with pitnc_setparams.

To enable i2c remove HOSTPORT from TeensyConfigPacket.h. You can change the i2c address by changing the #define I2CSLAVEADDR

73,
John

On 06/03/2021 18:42, Mat Murdock wrote:
My understanding is I2C is just used for configuring the TNC but not for packet communication.  I think there was a post regarding that a couple of months ago.  If you want to stack multiple TNC-Pi9k6 you will need to grab a raspberry Pi 4 which has 6 UARTS and then connect them to the teensy.  This shouldn't be two hard to do with some jumper wires.

Pi 4 UART Info: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/uart.md

Mat

Mat Murdock

Ok, happy to be wrong.  Looks like an easy enough change.

Mat

N5XMT

I didn't have to remove HOSTPORT on mine.  I just followed the original instructions to use pitncparams utilities from the old TNC-x website.
Manual showing all of it is here: http://tnc-x.com/TNCPi.pdf
work just fine with the TNC-Pi9k6.  just went downstairs to verify.  Also you'll want i2ckiss as well.  it maps a pseudo com port to the i2c address

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 11:16 AM John G8BPQ <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
[...]

have you installed teensyduino into the arduino IDE?

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 6:34 AM KN6FOA <mskurnik@...> wrote:

I’ve been trying to compile the TNC-Pi9k6’s firmware now for a few months with no luck.  I am trying to make it so I can attach 3 of them to a single PI.  Would someone be so kind as to compile 3 different versions of the firmware for me so I can flash them and use three TNC-Pi9k6 (Teensy 3.6) and use it with I2C instead?  I really am at wits-end with compiling this and I’m a software engineer.

Christopher Rose <kb8uih88@...>

Arduino mixed up with a Pi? How does that work?

have you installed teensyduino into the arduino IDE?

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 6:34 AM KN6FOA <mskurnik@...> wrote:

I’ve been trying to compile the TNC-Pi9k6’s firmware now for a few months with no luck.  I am trying to make it so I can attach 3 of them to a single PI.  Would someone be so kind as to compile 3 different versions of the firmware for me so I can flash them and use three TNC-Pi9k6 (Teensy 3.6) and use it with I2C instead?  I really am at wits-end with compiling this and I’m a software engineer.

N5XMT

has nothing to do with the Pi.  It's for compiling code and flashing the Teensy on the TNC-PI9k6

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Christopher Rose <kb8uih88@...> wrote:
Arduino mixed up with a Pi? How does that work?

have you installed teensyduino into the arduino IDE?

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 6:34 AM KN6FOA <mskurnik@...> wrote:

I’ve been trying to compile the TNC-Pi9k6’s firmware now for a few months with no luck.  I am trying to make it so I can attach 3 of them to a single PI.  Would someone be so kind as to compile 3 different versions of the firmware for me so I can flash them and use three TNC-Pi9k6 (Teensy 3.6) and use it with I2C instead?  I really am at wits-end with compiling this and I’m a software engineer.

Christopher Rose <kb8uih88@...>

Still confused. He's running a Pi so why not use it to do what is needed to configure the software?

has nothing to do with the Pi.  It's for compiling code and flashing the Teensy on the TNC-PI9k6

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Christopher Rose <kb8uih88@...> wrote:
Arduino mixed up with a Pi? How does that work?

have you installed teensyduino into the arduino IDE?

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 6:34 AM KN6FOA <mskurnik@...> wrote:

I’ve been trying to compile the TNC-Pi9k6’s firmware now for a few months with no luck.  I am trying to make it so I can attach 3 of them to a single PI.  Would someone be so kind as to compile 3 different versions of the firmware for me so I can flash them and use three TNC-Pi9k6 (Teensy 3.6) and use it with I2C instead?  I really am at wits-end with compiling this and I’m a software engineer.

N5XMT

the code for the Teensy on the TNC-Pi9k6 needs compiled and flashed to the teensy.  the pi will do it, but it needs the arduino IDE installed and TeensyDuino as well to do it.  The I2C address of the TNC-Pi9k6 is hardcoded, so it will have to be changed if you have more than one so they are different.  the address can't be changed any way other than modifying the code, compiling and flashing to the Teensy on each one.

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 8:07 PM Christopher Rose <kb8uih88@...> wrote:
Still confused. He's running a Pi so why not use it to do what is needed to configure the software?

has nothing to do with the Pi.  It's for compiling code and flashing the Teensy on the TNC-PI9k6

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 3:45 PM Christopher Rose <kb8uih88@...> wrote:
Arduino mixed up with a Pi? How does that work?

have you installed teensyduino into the arduino IDE?

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 6:34 AM KN6FOA <mskurnik@...> wrote:

I’ve been trying to compile the TNC-Pi9k6’s firmware now for a few months with no luck.  I am trying to make it so I can attach 3 of them to a single PI.  Would someone be so kind as to compile 3 different versions of the firmware for me so I can flash them and use three TNC-Pi9k6 (Teensy 3.6) and use it with I2C instead?  I really am at wits-end with compiling this and I’m a software engineer.

That’s really inconvenient.
Can the TNC-Pi9k6 be used in a multi-port Raspberry PI packet system by running USB from the Raspberry PI to each TNC?

Tadd - KA2DEW

On Mar 7, 2021, at 12:21 AM, N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through

Chris

[...]

Yes, you can do it that way, but you will have to create udev rules for each of the ports so when the pi reboots it recognizes the Pi-TNC9k6's in the same order every time

From: N5XMT < dacooley@...>
Date: 3/6/21 5:18 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io

have you installed teensyduino into the arduino IDE?

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 6:34 AM KN6FOA < mskurnik@...> wrote:

I’ve been trying to compile the TNC-Pi9k6’s firmware now for a few months with no luck.  I am trying to make it so I can attach 3 of them to a single PI.  Would someone be so kind as to compile 3 different versions of the firmware for me so I can flash them and use three TNC-Pi9k6 (Teensy 3.6) and use it with I2C instead?  I really am at wits-end with compiling this and I’m a software engineer.

Mat Murdock

I can see if I can find some time tomorrow to compile something for you.

Mat

Mat Murdock

KN6FOA

I don't use USBs.  I use the hats because they stack.

KN6FOA

@Mat Murdock, would you be able to compile this for me?  I still cannot get it to work even on a clean install on my raspberry pi.  It complains about "/home/pi/Downloads/arduino-1.8.13/TeensyProjects/libraries/TeensyConfig/Adafruit_SSD1306.cpp:40:26: fatal error: Adafruit_GFX.h: No such file or directory".  So I use the library manager to install the "Adafruit GFX Library" and that is where things just go down hill.