PSK-31 on Pi-zero

Vic WA4THR

While I can run WSJT-X with full rig control on a Raspberry Pi zero W, I was not able to get Fldigi to work. It seemed to just demand more resources than were available and locked up, so I have been looking for an alternative. I found LinPSK v1.3.5 that easily loads and decodes signals well, but I have been unable to get the rig control to work. Has anyone used this program or is there another alternative?

=Vic=

Mark Griffith

Why not just get a Pi4 for $35 and save yourself the frustration?

Mark
KD0QYN

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 3:25 AM Vic WA4THR via groups.io <vhklein=ptd.net@groups.io> wrote:
While I can run WSJT-X with full rig control on a Raspberry Pi zero W, I was not able to get Fldigi to work. It seemed to just demand more resources than were available and locked up, so I have been looking for an alternative. I found LinPSK v1.3.5 that easily loads and decodes signals well, but I have been unable to get the rig control to work. Has anyone used this program or is there another alternative?

=Vic=

Harry Latterman

Who is selling a Pi4 for $35??? All the Pi4's I have seen lately are at least twice that
  $35 might be counterfeit

JP Tucson, AZ

Nope, the Pi4 - 2 GB is $35

$55 for the 4GB  & $75 for the 8GB version.

You are probably looking @ kit prices, which include power supplies, heat sinks, cases, fans, etc. Which are more expensive.

73 - John - N7GHZ

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021, 9:51 AM Harry Latterman via groups.io <harrylatterman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Who is selling a Pi4 for $35??? All the Pi4's I have seen lately are at least twice that
  $35 might be counterfeit

Larry Macionski

Harry-
Here are prices for many versions of the Raspberry Pi. The RPI4-2GB is listed for $35USD
https://vilros.com/collections/raspberry-pi?page=1&rb_snize_facet13=boards

They have a "kit" for $46. that includes 4 heat sinks and free shipping. Places like Newark charges a minimum of $8.95 shipping. Adafruit even more.

Harry Latterman

Thank you for the information.  I am presently using a Pi 3B... I noticed that this is a 2GB board.  All the ones I saw were either 4 or 8GB.  That could explain the cost difference.  For my uses at this time a 2GB is probably good enough.  Thank you for your time and help.

73 Harry  K7ZOV

Harry Latterman

Actually all I have found were 4 and 8GB boards and not 2GB.   That explains a lot.. Thank you

73 Harry  K7ZOV

N5XMT

$35 is the bare board.  Most retailers are selling a "starter kit" which is an SD card, power supply, pi and the case.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 8:51 AM Harry Latterman via groups.io <harrylatterman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Who is selling a Pi4 for $35??? All the Pi4's I have seen lately are at least twice that
  $35 might be counterfeit

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Larry Howell

Here's a link to a $35 RPi-4 2GB board.  Micro Center is an official dealer.

I bought two RPi-4 4 GB boards at the Columbus, OH store last month.

Larry AC8YE

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 1:49 PM N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:
$35 is the bare board.  Most retailers are selling a "starter kit" which is an SD card, power supply, pi and the case.
On Feb 24, 2021, at 08:51, "Harry Latterman via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>harrylatterman=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Who is selling a Pi4 for $35??? All the Pi4's I have seen lately are at least twice that
  $35 might be counterfeit

Fred Hillhouse

Running on the desktop where power is abundant, an RPi4 seems logical.

But, for portable use, maybe a less hungry RPi is a better choice.

N7FMH

Why not just get a Pi4 for $35 and save yourself the frustration?

Mark

KD0QYN

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 3:25 AM Vic WA4THR via groups.io <vhklein=ptd.net@groups.io> wrote:

While I can run WSJT-X with full rig control on a Raspberry Pi zero W, I was not able to get Fldigi to work. It seemed to just demand more resources than were available and locked up, so I have been looking for an alternative. I found LinPSK v1.3.5 that easily loads and decodes signals well, but I have been unable to get the rig control to work. Has anyone used this program or is there another alternative?

=Vic=

Avast logo

Harry Latterman

I totally agree Fred,  I will be using my Pi3B, running Ham_pi and connected to my Xiegu G90 TRX. With some luck the XYL will be starting RV trips and this will now be my take it with me setup. I will be running the G90 on a 12 volt external battery pack and the Pi on one of a couple 20,000 maH battery that is normally used to recharge phones. I am hoping for many hours with this type of battery and since they are fairly cheap having 2 or 3 is not a issue.

Pi4 one day and most likely some sort of desktop application.

73 Harry K7ZOV

Harry Latterman

Thank you Larry for the link.  I saved it in my new Pi folder.  Wife and I being retired and on fix income means having to wait for a real need before buying anything... The Pi4 is on that list now.

73 Harry K7ZOV

Harry Latterman

I did not know the owner was a YL ham.. Cool... I have in the past used adafruit when I was working as a consulting engineer.  Been awhile since I checked them out. They did have quality products and I am sure the quality is still there

Harry K7ZOV

Glen - G0SBN

Hello Vic

May be worth giving it another go with a different Pi, here I have no problem running psk via Fldigi v4.1.01 and Flrig 1.3.42 on a Pi3A+ the software was downloaded from PiOS Add/Remove Soflware default repositry list. I have the Pi connected to a Timewave Navigator interface, which also provides a WinKeyer interface in Fldigi, connected to a Kenwood 590s. Appears to be little resource load when running the applications and I connect to the Pi using VNC Viewer from other devices for remote operating.

73 Glen

Larry Macionski

Harry,
I've never worked so hard being retired. Since I bought the ranch, not the farm. Being on Fixed income as well, I think a caveat needs to be repeated far and wide with regards to being frugal as in ham radio operations.
#1. Buy the RPI version according to NEED..ie:
      a. Making an ALLSTAR node? I have 7 "on the air". HAMVIOP requires only a 4Gb SD card and I have 2- 24x7 running
          repeater ALLSTAR NODES and both are Raspberry PI 2's.
      b. Extra Horsepower and memory is not needed in a dedicated application. So why buy a RPI4-4Gb and 32Gb SD card.

The biggest pet peeve of mine is not with RPI's and hams but with coax and hams... So many hams believe the only coax they should use is LMR-400.. Then they run a copper J-pole at 25 feet with 35 feet lead in to the radio. I always reference them to QST October 2017 pages 71-71...
Simply stated I like the way they explain coax losses in 1dB per a footage for a given band- Example 2 meters:
LMR-400    -67 feet
RG-213      -38 feet
RG-8X        -27 feet
RG-58        -18 feet
RG-174      -10 feet
So at 35 feet lead in - LMR-400 is 0.5dB but RG-8X is  1.3dB.. So using less expensive easier to handle RG-8X. the loss is only .8dB more. No one can hear 1 dB loss, only lab equipment can measure it. Yet the cost is 3 times as much. Even RG-58 is only 1.4dB loss totally acceptable.

Larry W8LM

Harry Latterman

Larry,

First of all, I know a lot of retired people. 100% agree that a person who is retired seems to  harder then working full time, less gets done and what does get done takes 10 times longer then when working. Add to that 9 pm is the new midnight and time for bed, and 9 am is the new get out of bed 6 am... and you are still tired..

Limited income = limited choices.  About 20 yrs ago I started just mostly doing straight trades and very little selling buying...However, I did do some. Do to many reason ham radio toys were always on the bottom of a list to buy new. In the end I ended up with a killer retirement setup from the almost 100 trades I did.

But I needed a new antenna for a IC-9700 and one for six meters. I was not using my KX2 much so a rare thing happened. I sold the KX2 and bought a X6000A antenna, LNR OA-6 6 meter loop antenn, two 50 ft rolls of LMR-200 and a pre-owned G90 with the optional fan/base.  The LMR-200 is for VHF/UHF.  For the past 50+ yrs RG-58/U,, RG-8X has severed me well. If you are running 1-500 watts you don't need the high priced stuff unless you are 100 ft or more away from your antenna. Sure you might lose a db or two or so, but in the end your RX (that includes the G90) is hot enough to hear most anything, including most if not all weak
signals.  At 73 with failing hearing I could not hear a very weak signal if my life depended on it.

The G90 is a wonderful radio. I am now working on it making nice to my Rasperry Pi 3B, thanks in large part to Ham-Pi. This group has been very helpful  David has also jumped in and that made my day, week and year. He is one talented programmers and did one hell of a job creating Ham-Pi.  My soon to be RV take it with me set up with the Pi3B+G90+a few different compromise antennas. Retirement is getting to be fun.  However it is tiring and thing sure move slowly.

So in you case, pick a coax you can afford and the best quality you can find. Put up a G5RV, or a tuned dipole or a nice 4 or 6BTV vertical and have fun. Just remember the lower the power, the more compromised the antenna the sweeter the DX contact is. Having a tower with stacked mono banders and running legal limit will get DX with a yawn.  5 to 20 watts CW or SSB with a "compromise" antenna ROCKS. Having a RPi just makes it all the better....

73 Harry K7ZOV

Alan

Larry:

I am in the retired category and what used to take an hour to do takes all day now. I am mainly a QRO DXer and Contester. But I enjoy UHF/VHF weak signal work with the IC-9100 that goes from 160 meters to 1.3 GHz. Been a ham for a long time, so I have collected a lot of equipment over the years. I have 2 stations, one here at the house and another at our farm. I need to do a lot of antenna work but I cannot climb anymore.

73,
Alan Clark, N5PA
Ellisville, MS
Email:  n5pa@...