OH100SRAL anniversary call sign - Raspberry Pi 4 B 4GB RAM - Headless - - #resources #cpu #linux #ram #raspberrypi

Alf Blomqvist

Good Morning from Finland!

I'm preparing a Raspberry PI 4B 4GB RAM to use with (latest) version of JTDX to use with OH100SRAL anniversery call sign later this week (Friday to Sunday, possible next week on Monday and Tuesday).

Last week I also used the special call sign with a Raspberry Pi 3B and issues with it's capasity to run JTDX.

My transceiver is Yaesu FT-450D.

The antenna is Fan Dipole.

i have following questions:

1. What Operating System you suggest for the RPi ?
2. What version of JTDX, if not latest issued?
3. Do you suggest me to use JTalert ?
4. What Remote Control Software? ( Raspberry Pi suggest sorted by ease of installation following: Xrdp, SSH and X11 forwarding, VNC, TeamViewer, NoMachine)
-- I have used VNC, but it stopped working last week and I got no help from RealVNC !! - After that I have used TeamViewer.
5. I Intend to use the RPi headless -  what resolution you suggest?
6. My QSO:s are sent to eQSL and I manually import the QSO:s to QRZ, Club Log, HRDLOG.net and HamQTH.
6. Any other suggestion and what to consider?

73 Alf
OH6IH

N5XMT

RaspberryPiOS. 100% it's designed for the pi and just about every debian package available is ported to ARM and available via apt install.  You can also build apps from source as well

On Feb 1, 2021, at 00:27, Alf Blomqvist <oh6ih@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi and tnx fer the answer!

I'll making a SD-card with Raspberry Pi OS then ...

Have you any comments re. headless use and resolution? I had problems (black screen) when I tried with HamPi. Now I think I'll install latest version for RPi.

73 Alf

OH6IH

Den 1 feb. 2021 kl. 11:18, skrev N5XMT:

[...]

Glen - G0SBN

Hello Alf

I'm using a Pi4 4GB remotely (headless) without any problems using VNC. The VNC software allows me to operate (WSJTx in my case) remotely from my pc (Window), laptop (Linux), and my tablet and phone (Android).

Don't forget to enable the interface in PiOS for VNC, it's not on in new installs by default.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a problem with VNC.

Good luck with the event.
73 Glen