Topics

lost audio out in wsjt-x

Jay Lijoi

Good day,

Here is what happens:

  • Using version wsjt-x 2.2.2 I lost audio out to my ic-7300
  • switched to 2.2.3 and all worked
  • 2.2.3 taken down by developer
  • reinstalled fresh 2.2.2 and no audio out
Equipment:
IC-7300
Raspberry PI 4 computer

I don't understand the difference between the two versions, but something is definitely different. As of now I can't operate wsjt-x.

Jay
WB2QQJ

#wsjt-x
#audio

N5XMT

Best bet would be to open an issue on the wsjt-x github. It's obviously an issue with the sw and not a pi issue

On Jan 19, 2021, at 14:50, Jay Lijoi <lijoi@...> wrote:
Good day,

Here is what happens:

  • Using version wsjt-x 2.2.2 I lost audio out to my ic-7300
  • switched to 2.2.3 and all worked
  • 2.2.3 taken down by developer
  • reinstalled fresh 2.2.2 and no audio out
Equipment:
IC-7300
Raspberry PI 4 computer

I don't understand the difference between the two versions, but something is definitely different. As of now I can't operate wsjt-x.

Jay
WB2QQJ

#wsjt-x
#audio

Jay Lijoi

Good day,

I bit the bullet and started with a new image on my Raspberry PI and loaded all new software (a lot of time). Still don't know why or where the problem was, but I'm up and running.

Thank you for your help,
Jay wb211j

bbillp

Once your Pi is working never ever do an UPDATE, it makes no sense unless there is an absolute requirement by the developer of the application software. Create a backup image of your SD card once you are satisfied with operation.

N5XMT

Updates fix security issues that are discovered.  Bad advice to never do updates

On Jan 22, 2021, at 20:57, bbillp <b.bill.p@...> wrote:
Once your Pi is working never ever do an UPDATE, it makes no sense unless there is an absolute requirement by the developer of the application software.   Create a backup image of your SD card once you are satisfied with operation.

bbillp

Then Name the security updates.

Dave R

I'm pretty sure the list will tell you. 73

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021, 09:16 bbillp <b.bill.p@...> wrote:
Then Name the security updates.

N5XMT

Really?  As the linux developers find flaws in their code they put out newer versions.
There are thousands of files and hundreds of packages and just a correction to one of the files in a package and it downloads the whole package.
No need to be a smart ass.

On Jan 23, 2021, at 09:16, bbillp <b.bill.p@...> wrote:
Then Name the security updates.

David Ranch

It's TERRIBLE advice to other users to "never ever" patch your computers.  If they are connected to a network that can reach the Internet, you're putting your system at risk as there are just too many ways that computers can be compromised these days (web browsing, looking at PDF files, etc).  The primary way to keep your risks low is to keep them patched and reboot when required.  A pain?  Absolutely.  Necessary evil?  Absolutely!

The back up of SD cards is a good idea.  This is also very important as SD cards just aren't intended for any heavy duty write operations.  If they are used this way, it's only a matter of time before your SD card fails.  Current image backups will make moving to a new SD card very simple and painless.