Streaming audio #flrig

w4oa@arrl.net <w4oa@...>

I am using VNC to operate my IC-7300 with a RPi. VNC does not stream the audio. I would like to stream but a forum search and a web search do not return any solutions. Is anyone on the forum successfully streaming audio along with a desktop from a RPi? I am using a Macbook Pro as my master computer.

Tnx for any assistance!

Mitch W4OA
Opelika, AL

Chuck M

I think a software package called No machine also streams audio.  See QST March 2020 issue.

Chuck
KD9DVB

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 1:00 PM, w4oa@...
<w4oa@...> wrote:
I am using VNC to operate my IC-7300 with a RPi. VNC does not stream the audio. I would like to stream but a forum search and a web search do not return any solutions. Is anyone on the forum successfully streaming audio along with a desktop from a RPi? I am using a Macbook Pro as my master computer.

Tnx for any assistance!

Mitch W4OA
Opelika, AL

Jason A. Powell <jason.powell.us@...>

I believe that VNC can stream audio, but requires a settings change on the remote and.

Jason
KD8FMR

<w4oa@...> wrote:
I am using VNC to operate my IC-7300 with a RPi. VNC does not stream the audio. I would like to stream but a forum search and a web search do not return any solutions. Is anyone on the forum successfully streaming audio along with a desktop from a RPi? I am using a Macbook Pro as my master computer.

Tnx for any assistance!

Mitch W4OA
Opelika, AL

w4oa@arrl.net <w4oa@...>

Thanks for the responses. VNC requires a monthly license fee to include audio. Noname looks promising, but appears very complicated to set up. There is a good discussion by W3YJ on the W1HJK site, http://www.w1hkj.com/W3YJ/ but so far it is over my head. Anyone using Noname with an IC-7300 or mcHF let me know I would be very interested in how you did it.

Thanks
Mitch W4OA

MIKE RICHARDS

A simple and free solution would be to use the Mumble VoIP server on the Pi and Mumble client at the receive end. This provides excellent two way audio and is the system used in RigPi to handle the audio. You can even listen on a smartphone with the Plumble client for Android.

<Mumble Site>

Mike - G4WNC

Ron - KA7RLM (3153542)

I also use NoMachine. Works quite well. Multi-platform too.

Ron
KA7RLM

Ed

It looks like Mumble uses the SPEEX codec.  Does it reproduce the audio at sufficient quality to use with FT8 and other weak signal modes?  The RemoteHams.com software also uses the SPEEX codec, and does not work well with weak signal modes.

Thanks & 73,
Ed N2BHD

w4oa@arrl.net <w4oa@...>

What rig(s) are you using it with?

Mitch W4OA

Ed

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 04:27 AM, w4oa@... wrote:
What rig(s) are you using it with?
If this question was directed to me, the rig we are currently using with the RemoteHams.com software, is an Elecraft K3.  We have also use the RH software with A Kenwood TS-2000, and TS-480.  The SPEEX codec seems to work well on SSB, and with some FLDigi modes.  But there are significant problems with the WSJT-X modes and with JS8Call.
73,
Ed, N2BHD

Mike Burch

I was playing around with that exact software yesterday.   There was a check box to receive audio from the target computer.

--
Mike. K8MB.

Perry Ogletree

Mumble has one limitation... it doesn't "like" CW... The DSP in Mumble tends to treat CW as "noise" and tries to suppress it. For voice it works great.

Glenn VE9GJ

If linux on both ends look at seren. A simple command line app that does a decent job with cw and weak sigs.
73
Glenn VE9GJ

View/Reply Online (#12559): https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/message/12559
Mute #flrig:https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/mutehashtag/flrig