cgps? xgps?

Bill Cherepy <jcherepy@...>

I'm thinking of playing with a GPS on my Pi and I've seen and read references to cgps and xgps, but I can't find if these are apps or services or what. Can anyone help?

KN6FOA

They come with one of the gps packages (service).  CGPS is a console GPS program and XGPS is an x-interface (UI-based) gps program.

Ray Wells

On 16/11/20 10:51 am, Bill Cherepy wrote:
I'm thinking of playing with a GPS on my Pi and I've seen and read references to cgps and xgps, but I can't find if these are apps or services or what. Can anyone help?

They're in the package gpsd-clients but be warned, the version in Buster is broken. However the version in backports is ok. If you search gpsd-clients buster backports you should find a howto for getting/installing. This will get you pointed in essentially the right direction. https://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/UpdatingGPSD.html

Ray vk2tv

apt install gpsd gpsd-clients

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020, 16:03 Bill Cherepy <jcherepy@...> wrote:
I'm thinking of playing with a GPS on my Pi and I've seen and read references to cgps and xgps, but I can't find if these are apps or services or what. Can anyone help?

Bill Cherepy <jcherepy@...>

Thanks very much for all of the replies, folks.

Bill WB4WTN

--
Sent from Postbox