Topics

APRSDroid over Bluetooth to RaspberryPiZeroW as a TNC #pi #tnc #direwolf #bluetooth

greencane372@...

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W loaded with Direwolf as a TNC for an HT UV-5R.  I would like to use this Pi/Direwolf as a TNC which is much improved over an APRS cable due to the availability of the PTT GPIO and not needing to use VOX.  I can successfully get the setup working using KISS on Direwolf and connecting over Wifi when my phone and Pi are on the same wifi network.  I would like to do the same over Bluetooth if possible but when configuring Bluetooth SPP on the phone, it is not connecting correctly to the Pi.

David Ranch

When you try to do a BT pairing from your smartphon? to your Raspberry Pi, what command is erroring out and with what error?

On 11/11/2020 03:53 PM, greencane372@... wrote:
I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W loaded with Direwolf as a TNC for an HT UV-5R.  I would like to use this Pi/Direwolf as a TNC which is much improved over an APRS cable due to the availability of the PTT GPIO and not needing to use VOX.  I can successfully get the setup working using KISS on Direwolf and connecting over Wifi when my phone and Pi are on the same wifi network.  I would like to do the same over Bluetooth if possible but when configuring Bluetooth SPP on the phone, it is not connecting correctly to the Pi.

greencane372@...

On APRSDroid I get this error message:
    Could not connect to PiZero!  Please turn on the device and close other Bluetooth connections.

It seems my issue it getting the phone paired with the Pi.  Here are some other settings details.

APRSDroid settings
    Connection Type = Bluetooth SPP
    TNC Bluetooth Deivce = select PiZero which was piared from phone side
    Bluetooth Channel = leave blank

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S9

PiZeroW
Bluetooth set to discoverable
using bluetoothctl
    scan on -> I can see my device MAC address with only label of RSSI:
    typing connect [MAC addr] -> Device [MAC addr] not available
I also tried modifying these 2 lines in dbus-org.bluez.service
    ExecStart=/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd -C
    ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/sdptool add SP