Pi 4 Ubuntu 20.20 FLDIGI Alpha build problems

Bill Studley

Edited

I'm trying to build the latest FLDIGI alpha release and I get build errors around the optimizations for the PI 4.  I can build the release without the optimizations but I wonder if I'm compromising performance if I do not include the compile optimizations.
Do I assume that the Gcc compiler included with the release of Ubuntu 20.20 has the optimizations include, or do I need to track down missing libraries and or use a different compiler?
The error that I'm getting is:
g++: error: unrecognized command-line option ‘-mno-3dnow’
g++: error: unrecognized command-line option ‘-mfpmath=sse’
From what I've been able to track down that these are errors that are normally seen by cross compilers. I've trying to build natively on the PI, so now I confused as to my path forward.
Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Correction, the release that I'm using is the 20.10 release of Ubuntu.
--  Bill, AA1OC

Eric

I *THINK* these two options are valid only for x86 and x86 compatible processors....which is definitely not a Pi.

If the above is correct, then it sounds like the build process isn't being told (or "realizing") that the build is happening on the RPi

I did notice some stuff on the sourceforge page about building on a RPi at  https://sourceforge.net/p/fldigi/wiki/debian_howto/
It says debian in the link, but it talks about Ubuntu in there as well.

I'm just making some SWAGS as to what might be happening, so all of this info comes with the "if it breaks, you get to keep it" warranty! :-)

Eric
WB6TIX

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 10:22 AM Bill Studley <aa1oc@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I'm trying to build the latest FLDIGI alpha release and I get build errors around the optimizations for the PI 4.  I can build the release without the optimizations but I wonder if I'm compromising performance if I do not include the compile optimizations.
Do I assume that the Gcc compiler included with the release of Ubuntu 20.20 has the optimizations include, or do I need to track down missing libraries and or use a different compiler?
The error that I'm getting is:
g++: error: unrecognized command-line option ‘-mno-3dnow’
g++: error: unrecognized command-line option ‘-mfpmath=sse’
From what I've been able to track down that these are errors that are normally seen by cross compilers. I've trying to build natively on the PI, so now I confused as to my path forward.
Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Correction, the release that I'm using is the 20.10 release of Ubuntu.
--  Bill, AA1OC

Bill Studley

Hi Eric,  Thanks for your comments and I agree that the optimizations are intended for when the compiling for a PI4 is done on a x86 platform; cross compile. I did read in one of my searches that there was a problem with /proc not identifying the ARM7 properly, but that was the compile running under an Arch distribution.

I've tried a couple of remote desktop solutions, but the performance seems sluggish to me, which is my concern for performance.

The idea that I'm playing with at the moment is, running FLRig at the PI4 using CAT control via a USB to RS232 modem, and setting up Pulse as a remote audio source, to an instance of FLDigi running locally on my laptop. At least that's what rattling around my head at the moment.

Thanks for your interest,
Bill -- AA1OC