Topics

AEA Packratt TNC use with a Raspberry pi.

Mike Burch

Hello everyone,

I would like to use my AEA Packratt 232 with a Raspberry pi as the pc portion for packet radio.   Reason: Just to use it and see it work again.  Do you think this could work with just a serial port hat on the Pi?    Would the available software support this project?  The tnc is in perfect condition and even has the timewave dsp daughter boards.   Than you in advance.   Mike K8MB.

N5XMT

you won't need a serial port hat.  A simple usb to serial cable works just fine

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 9:06 AM Mike Burch <mburch372@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I would like to use my AEA Packratt 232 with a Raspberry pi as the pc portion for packet radio.   Reason: Just to use it and see it work again.  Do you think this could work with just a serial port hat on the Pi?    Would the available software support this project?  The tnc is in perfect condition and even has the timewave dsp daughter boards.   Than you in advance.   Mike K8MB.

Mark Griffith

It works fine, but you'll need a terminal program for the Raspberry Pi.  There are not many available and all are very rudimentary.  Minicom is one that you can add using apt-get as well as putty which is probably better.

I used a USB to serial dongle which worked pretty well but a HAT will work.  The dongle is much easier to install, just plug it in.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Saturday, October 10, 2020, 11:03:08 AM CDT, Mike Burch <mburch372@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would like to use my AEA Packratt 232 with a Raspberry pi as the pc portion for packet radio.   Reason: Just to use it and see it work again.  Do you think this could work with just a serial port hat on the Pi?    Would the available software support this project?  The tnc is in perfect condition and even has the timewave dsp daughter boards.   Than you in advance.   Mike K8MB.

David Ranch

Hello Mike,

Yes, your PK232 will absolutely work with your Raspberry Pi.  You have a few approaches to consider:

  Hardware interfacing:
     - Easier: Buy a USB to serial adapter to connect to the PK232
     - Harder: wire the PK232 to a +3.3v to +5.0v level shifter to the Raspberry Pi's built in serial port, some minor Raspberry Pi OS configuration changes are required

  Software interfacing - your TNC can operate either in COMMAND mode or KISS mode
     - COMMAND mode with your TNC only requires a serial terminal program to communicate to the PK232.  Some program ideas are listed here (scroll down to the "Serial Terminal Programs" section:
         http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#50.serialtroubler

     - KISS mode is where you offload the TNC's AX25 stack into Linux's stack.  This is the most powerful approach but also the more complex to setup option (this is still what I personally recommend).  There is lots of documentation out there and I can give help here as well.

On 10/10/2020 09:22 AM, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Jason A. Powell <jason.powell.us@...>

Try something like this—you'll just need so supply some inexpensive jumper wires.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 12:06 PM Mike Burch <mburch372@...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I would like to use my AEA Packratt 232 with a Raspberry pi as the pc portion for packet radio.   Reason: Just to use it and see it work again.  Do you think this could work with just a serial port hat on the Pi?    Would the available software support this project?  The tnc is in perfect condition and even has the timewave dsp daughter boards.   Than you in advance.   Mike K8MB.

Jason A. Powell <jason.powell.us@...>

For those that want to do multiple TNCs off the same Raspberry Pi, this might be the way to go (varieties available from two to seven serial ports):

Jason
KD8FMR