locked More thoughts on Open Source software

Kevin Zembower <kzembower@...>

It looks like the admins did disable the original thread, so I'll just start my own...

I agree with those opposed to the mandatory use of BOINC in the HamPi distribution. I believe that the distributor's license, while unenforceable, is also contrary to the spirit and letter of Open Source software, in demanding that I use my computing resources for something I may or may not support.

I have erased the HamPi distrubution and will not use it. Furthermore, as one of the BitTorrent feeds, I will no longer participate in distributing HamPi.

-Kevin
KC3KZ

Jeff Palmer

Cool man,

Stop using HamPi, if thats what you feel is the right move. It's a
freedom you enjoy to make that decision for yourself. No real need to
announce it.
Stop seeding the BT, if you feel that is the right move. It's a
freedom you enjoy to make that decision for yourself. No real need to
announce it.

I, for one, will continue seeding along with the other 40+ seeders,
because I feel it's the right move. It's a freedom *I* enjoy to make
that decision for myself.

However, the admins have made it very clear that this group is not
the appropriate place to debate Licensing intricacies, so much so,
that they locked the original thread (as you are aware by
acknowledging it in your post.) Maybe we should respect their wishes?

Admins - Can we go ahead and kill this thread too? Before it becomes "a thing"

--
Jeff Palmer
Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.

Dave Wade

Folks,

I too think this has run its course and will be happy to see it muted,
I will add that when there is a topic that’s flooding your mailbox you are not interested in it, then there is a "mute thread" button at the bottom of each e-mail.
If you have forgotten or not set a password, then when you use the "mute" link groups.io will offer to e-mail you a link to log-in without a password so that couldn't be simpler.
You can use this feature any time you need to access the Network.

Dave
G4UGM

Stop using HamPi, if thats what you feel is the right move. It's a
freedom you enjoy to make that decision for yourself. No real need to
announce it.
Stop seeding the BT, if you feel that is the right move. It's a freedom you
[...]

Sterling Mann

When I first read the license, I thought the BOINC thing was cool (while odd) but concerns of it running too hot, using "precious" SD card writes, and the fact my little pi puts out a fraction of the effort as my gaming/video editing PC on idle (which is currently going towards folding@home considering the needs of the world right now) led me astray. In the interests of not getting sued for not letting it compute for BOINC, I chose to abandon this project in favor of KM4ACK's (licenseless) pi-build - https://github.com/km4ack/pi-build (video series at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1SEgPFQk4M&list=PL1QTYT4Qo9cYb8-YkItrM_cQL6EdwRqWj).

-Sterling N0SSC

--
Jeff Palmer
Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.

John Nicholas

Dave,

Thank you for the reminder that threads can be muted.  Unfortunately it doesn’t work when a list member feels they are above the rest of us by posting;

It looks like the admins did disable the original thread, so I'll just start my own…

73

de ZEoZUW John