W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Distribution v2.0 Released

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>

'W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image Distribution v2.0 Released'

In other words, it is a distribution, not an image.
The 'distro' contains a proprietary compressed file.

Using a torrent client on 'http://hampi.radiowaves.ca/HamPi%20Image%20v1.0.torrent',
I obtained a folder ('HamPi v1.0 by W3DJS'), containing:
total 3.7G
4.0K CONTRIBUTE.TXT
3.7G HamPi_v1.0.img.xz
4.0K HamPi_v1.0.img.xz.sha256sum
4.0K HOW_TO_FLASH_IMAGE.TXT
4.0K LICENSE.TXT
456K README.docx
 12K README.TXT
4.0K UPGRADE_FROM_W3DJS_IMAGE.TXT

 Because 'HamPi_v1.0.img.xz' is a proprietary compressed format,
balena-etcher is required to un-compress (and to place the disk image on SD media).

In this scenario, 'dd' will not work as it is expecting an image (.img), not a
'compressed disk image' (.xz).

Carlos:  You are correct in part:
"

On 7/1/20 8:48 AM, N3RDR wrote:
I would be careful with assuming dd will work in macOS.  I have not tried on this particular image but have tried on others.  Even though there are different *nix flavors, the filesystem needs to be supported. I previous tried on a Pi project I had I could not use dd because the image I needed to write was not on a format the Mac supported. I use Balena Etcher on my Mac.  It provides a nice interface that makes creating bootable SD cards a breeze.

Carlos
N3RDR
"
'dd' will work in Mac-OS, but not using this proprietary compressed file (HamPi_v1.0.img.xz).
It seems to me that 'balena-etcher' uncompresses and transfers the .xz file, 'on the fly'.

 I have no difficulty transferring a disk image (.img) to filesystem media using 'dd'.

 It seems, in this distribution, balena-etcher is required for installation.

Chuck

John Nicholas

On Jul 1, 2020, at 8:45 AM, chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...> wrote:

'W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image Distribution v2.0 Released'

In other words, it is a distribution, not an image.
The 'distro' contains a proprietary compressed file.

Chuck,

I referred to using the DD or Balena to make an image on the SD based on Dave’s ReadMe Text that I downloaded.

No matter if you are a Windows, Mac os Linux user, go to https://www.balena.io/etcher/ and
download and install Balena Etcher. This is the easiest program I can suggest to use.

1. Start Balena Etcher.

2. Click on Select Image and select the downloaded HamPi_v1.0.img.xz file.
   (If you got HamPi in a tar file, you'll need to extract the files from the tar archive first.)

3. Click on Select Drive and select your 16GB or larger (micro)SD card.

4. Click on Flash!

After several minutes, the flashing process will finish, and you can eject the (micro)SD card
and insert it into your Raspberry Pi and power it up.

By image he is certainly referring to his logo image of the ham

He may be referring to more because he discussed the image on the 16 gig SD card filling the space or using a 32 gig card and the process automatically expanding to fill the larger card.  He did a interview with Dave Casler on YouTube the day before he released HamPi 1.0

73

de KEoZUW  John

John Tetreault (WA1OKB)

Yeah, generally a bad idea to use a proprietary compression.... Just put the .img file up, or make it a .tar.gz compressed file.... Not everyone runs Windows with Etcher as their primary PC.   If distributed in a non-proprietary format, those of us who run Linux exclusively can easily use dd to burn it to an SD card.

On 7/1/20 8:48 AM, N3RDR wrote:
[...]

N5XMT

.xz is not proprietary.  It was used because it has better compression than gzip.  Unless you want to download an 8g file instead of 3.7g

On 7/1/20 8:48 AM, N3RDR wrote:
[...]

Basil Gunn

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 06:45 AM, chuck gelm wrote:

The 'distro' contains a proprietary compressed file. No it doesn't.

Source repository for XZ utils: https://github.com/xz-mirror/xz

License Public domain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XZ_Utils

Ray Wells

All,

I feel some misinformation is starting to emerge re dd, img files and xz compression that needs clarification, especially since many individuals on this list are "feeling" their way and don't need the wrong information.

Big snips to remove ballast and, no names, no pack drill!

1.    "Because 'HamPi_v1.0.img.xz' is a proprietary compressed format,"

xz is not proprietary, all source code is released into the public domain, with xz Utils being subject to various version of GPL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XZ_Utils
Also, binaries are available for FreeBSD, Linux systems, Microsoft Windows (since v 5.0), and FreeDOS. A complete list of supported OSs (including Mac OSX), and all licensing information can be found here https://tukaani.org/xz/

2.    "In this scenario, 'dd' will not work as it is expecting an image (.img), not a 'compressed disk image' (.xz). "

3.    "I would be careful with assuming dd will work in macOS."

Evidence suggests that dd does work with the Mac OS, and being that it uses a variant of BSD (another 'Nix OS) that's not surprising, but I'm not a Mac OS user.
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-create-disk-image-on-mac-os-x-with-dd-command/  Here's the man page for dd on Mac OS https://ss64.com/osx/dd.html

HTH somebody.

Ray vk2tv

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>

On 7/1/20 10:49 AM, N5XMT wrote:
.xz is not proprietary.  It was used because it has better compression than gzip.  Unless you want to download an 8g file instead of 3.7g
Got it. Thanks.

 I was in error stating that .xz is proprietary. Sorry.

'tar' supports '.xz' with the '-J' or '--xz' argument.
'unxz' is 'bullt-in' my current o/s.

On my home server, 'balena-etcher' worked (put image on media)...the torrent did not.
On one of my workstations, torrent worked...'balena-etcher' stalled writing to media.

 Next I will check the 'size-of' free space after booting.
I am wondering if the disk image was of a 16GB filesystem or smaller?

3s, Chuck

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Downloaded Hampi 1.0 via torrent stream on Ubuntu. Two attempt with dad failed on freshly bought 32 Gb SD cards. After partitioning with flatted and true formatting under Win10 I succeeded burning image with Balena Etcher !
After booting partition was not expanded to whole SD. I did it with raspi-config.
Running RaspBerry Pi 4.
Frim time to time system is freezing.

i must shut down 5V to reboot.

DRAW hat is not recognized despite performing /boot/config.txt settings. With previous image from NorthWeStdigital DRAWS is functioning well.
Bernard, F6BVP /  AI7BG

N5XMT

What power supply are you using?  Just the bare Pi4 the Raspberry Pi foundation recommends a 3.5A supply... With the hat and any other accessories, I'd suggest at least a 5.1v 4.0A supply

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 7:34 AM Bernard f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:

Downloaded Hampi 1.0 via torrent stream on Ubuntu. Two attempt with dad failed on freshly bought 32 Gb SD cards. After partitioning with flatted and true formatting under Win10 I succeeded burning image with Balena Etcher !
After booting partition was not expanded to whole SD. I did it with raspi-config.
Running RaspBerry Pi 4.
Frim time to time system is freezing.

i must shut down 5V to reboot.

DRAW hat is not recognized despite performing /boot/config.txt settings. With previous image from NorthWeStdigital DRAWS is functioning well.
Bernard, F6BVP /  AI7BG

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Sorry for typos due to smartphone auto correcting my talk.

dad= dd ! Partionning done with gparted ! Bernard F6BVP / AI7BG

You don't need to partition when copying a .img file, it clones the image onto the SD card bit for bit.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 9:54 AM Bernard f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:
Sorry for typos due to smartphone auto correcting my talk.

dad= dd ! Partionning done with gparted ! Bernard F6BVP / AI7BG

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Thanks for the question.
I am using a 5.1V 2.5A power supply sold with RaspBerry 3b.
When connecting instead a Power supply directly on DRAWS board connector it shows 0.4A when setting voltage to 10V.
Thus I think that first power supply should deliver enough power i.e. 12.75W while 4W are needed.

Bernard

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

John,
You are absolutely right, partitionning is not needed.
However, after three failures using dd for writing on brand new 32 Gb SD cards I suspected a hardware issue.
This is why I tried very though strategy (partitionning followed by a complete format).
After that Balena Etcher finished the job ! And I am glad I don't have to throw away my new cards !
73 de Bernard

Ron McCall

Where can I find the new Raspberry Pi file as a .tar?  I do not do torrents,  What is contained in the updated file to make it worth me going after it?

Go to: http://hampi.radiowaves.ca  -- there are readme and install files as well as the tar file.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 1:15 PM Ron McCall <rnrtaf@...> wrote:
Where can I find the new Raspberry Pi file as a .tar?  I do not do torrents,  What is contained in the updated file to make it worth me going after it?

Kingston, WA
K7VE

John Nicholas

In his original announcement there was a like to the torrent and several other links. He has it located on some of his Beta Testers Google Drives. A, K, N, W

I used the K prefix.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FAevI-DL0AJ4vdR-8gHkH-GKOSkwxnYr

I started the download last night about 9 and went to bed. All done this am.

John

On Jul 2, 2020, at 3:14 PM, Ron McCall <rnrtaf@gmail.com> wrote:

Where can I find the new Raspberry Pi file as a .tar? I do not do torrents, What is contained in the updated file to make it worth me going after it?
_._,_._,_

Dave Wade

I believe that by insisting we run the research software he is violation oi
the GNU licences that cover LINUX and BOINC.

The GNU licence says :-

"The licenses for most software and other practical works are designed to
take away your freedom to share and change the works. By contrast, the GNU
General Public License is intended to guarantee your freedom to share and
change all versions of a program--to make sure it remains free software for
all its users. We, the Free Software Foundation, use the GNU General Public
License for most of our software; it applies also to any other work released
this way by its authors. You can apply it to your programs, too."

So you cannot distribute GNU licenced software and stop people changing it.

Dave
G4UGM