HamPi WAS: W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0 Released

Are you using the file here http://hampi.radiowaves.ca/

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:24 PM Román Toledo via groups.io <rtoledo2002=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dave hi I just looked all over for the torrent link to your pi image and it seems to be gone.   Did you pull it ?  all links seems dead. IF I get one torrent link to download it from I can leave it running on my Synology box to serve out to the rest of the ham community.  I have unlimited internet and 500kbps symmetrical speeds.

thank you

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Jeff Palmer

Several of us are still seeding it.

http://hampi.radiowaves.ca/HamPi%20Image%20v1.0.torrent

Add this to your torrent client, and it should eventually connect to a
bunch of seeders.

--
Jeff Palmer
Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.

Stewart Wilkinson

I see a problem !

The instructions refer to a file called HamPi_v1.0.img.xz and opening it in Etcher, but the download is called HamPi_v1.0.tar !

The latest Etcher (V1.5.100) does NOT open .tar files

--
Stewart G0LGS

N5XMT

You have to extract the .tar file with 7zip

On Jun 30, 2020, at 00:00, "Stewart Wilkinson via groups.io" <g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>stewart.g0lgs=g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I see a problem !

The instructions refer to a file called  HamPi_v1.0.img.xz and opening it in Etcher, but the download is called HamPi_v1.0.tar !

The latest Etcher (V1.5.100) does NOT open .tar files

--
Stewart G0LGS

Dave Wade

You should not have to use 7zip. There are several implementations of TAR for Windows.

Dave

G4UGM

You have to extract the .tar file with 7zip

On Jun 30, 2020, at 00:00, "Stewart Wilkinson via groups.io" <g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>stewart.g0lgs=g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I see a problem !

The instructions refer to a file called  HamPi_v1.0.img.xz and opening it in Etcher, but the download is called HamPi_v1.0.tar !

The latest Etcher (V1.5.100) does NOT open .tar files

--
Stewart G0LGS

N5XMT

Why have a dedicated tar program when 7zip does zip, bz2, tar, xz, rar etc?

On Jun 30, 2020, at 07:19, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

You should not have to use 7zip. There are several implementations of TAR for Windows.

Dave

G4UGM

You have to extract the .tar file with 7zip

On Jun 30, 2020, at 00:00, "Stewart Wilkinson via groups.io" <g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>stewart.g0lgs=g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I see a problem !

The instructions refer to a file called  HamPi_v1.0.img.xz and opening it in Etcher, but the download is called HamPi_v1.0.tar !

The latest Etcher (V1.5.100) does NOT open .tar files

--
Stewart G0LGS

Dave Wade

I personally find 7zip un-intuitive and confusing.

For example, why doesn’t File->Open offer me a menu to open an archive file.

It does in every other program I use, but no, 7zip makes me fiddle about all over the place.

The help mentions that there is a command line version but as its not in the path I have not managed to find it.

Most of the TAR files I come across come with instructions on how to extract with TAR. If I have an issue and say I used 7zip I can usually hear the laughter across the Atlantic.

HOWEVER

It does open RAR files, and there if there is one tool I dislike more than 7ZIP its WINRAR

Dave

G4UGM

You have to extract the .tar file with 7zip

On Jun 30, 2020, at 00:00, "Stewart Wilkinson via groups.io" <g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>stewart.g0lgs=g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I see a problem !

The instructions refer to a file called  HamPi_v1.0.img.xz and opening it in Etcher, but the download is called HamPi_v1.0.tar !

The latest Etcher (V1.5.100) does NOT open .tar files

--
Stewart G0LGS

Choose your own tools and move forward.

If you don't like the features of one, pick another, or let the developer know.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:22 AM Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

[...]

Why not just use zip which is everywhere.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 9:22 AM Dave wrote:

I personally find 7zip un-intuitive

Trying for maximum compression.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:47 AM Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
Why not just use zip which is everywhere.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 9:22 AM Dave wrote:

I personally find 7zip un-intuitive

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Chris KA0ZRW

7zip is great by the way. It will both handle the .gz and the .tar to get to the image. And using 7zip, for me, is primarily just right clicking on the file to extract Here, or into it's own folder, or to open. Pretty intuitive to me.

For those not familiar the purpose of tar is to bind several files into one and the purpose of gz is to compress it. This is the Linux way.

HamPi is a Linux operating system, so...tar.gz makes the most sense.

Chris Grant
KA0ZRW
Ravensdale, WA

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:07 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Trying for maximum compression.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:47 AM Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
Why not just use zip which is everywhere.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 9:22 AM Dave wrote:

I personally find 7zip un-intuitive

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Patricia Wilson <wilson.pr.gm@...>

Tar - open source, 7zip ?

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:55 AM N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:
Why have a dedicated tar program when 7zip does zip, bz2, tar, xz, rar etc?

On Jun 30, 2020, at 07:19, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

You should not have to use 7zip. There are several implementations of TAR for Windows.

Dave

G4UGM

You have to extract the .tar file with 7zip

On Jun 30, 2020, at 00:00, "Stewart Wilkinson via groups.io" <g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>stewart.g0lgs=g0lgs.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I see a problem !

The instructions refer to a file called  HamPi_v1.0.img.xz and opening it in Etcher, but the download is called HamPi_v1.0.tar !

The latest Etcher (V1.5.100) does NOT open .tar files

--
Stewart G0LGS

--
μολὼν λαβέ
73 de WB8DXX

N5XMT

open source/freeware

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:59 PM Patricia Wilson <wilson.pr.gm@...> wrote:
[...]

Ray Wells

The obvious answer is CHOICE. Less obvious to newcomers to the 'Nix world is that tar has been around a long time (since 1979) and has a proven record of reliability, performance and scriptability to automate complex needs. tar by itself is only a packaging program originally used to back up data to tape - tar stands for Tape ARchieve - but it can also use various compression programs such as gz, bz2 and xz, those compression formats being introduced in that order to provide increasingly greater compression ratios. I don't know if tar handles rar because it's not a format that appeals to me, but it handles the others natively.

Which program is "best" will create endless discussion. The real question should be "which is best for the individual user, what suits that person's needs, their skill level, or previous experience with a particular method. The simplest program may appeal to some and the most complex will appeal to others. It's all about personal choice, just like the operating system that individuals choose to use.

Trying to apply diplomatic reasoning,

Ray vk2tv

Get BlueMail for Android <http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=15860>
On Jun 30, 2020, at 07:19, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@gmail.com <mailto:dave.g4ugm@gmail.com>> wrote:

You should not have to use 7zip. There are several implementations
of TAR for Windows.

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>

I got: '
Etcher for Linux x64 (64-bit) (AppImage)
Linux
x64

-rwxr-xr-x 1 gelmce gelmce    91645506 Jun 22 09:18  balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage
drwxr-xr-x 2 gelmce gelmce        4096 Jun 23 21:23 'HamPi v1.0 by W3DJS'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gelmce gelmce    91128472 Jun 30 21:05  balena-etcher-electron-1.5.100-linux-x64.zip

 I do not know how to use or install 'balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage'.

I have been using linux since 1993 and have never seen an '.AppImage' file before.

Help!

Chuck

Bob Knight

It's executable as-is.

"./balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage"

Takes a while to come up as it checks for updates and what not.

Thanks,
Bob
KI5EJI

On 6/30/20 7:25 PM, chuck gelm wrote:
I got: '
Etcher for Linux x64 (64-bit) (AppImage)

Linux

x64
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gelmce gelmce    91645506 Jun 22 09:18 balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage
drwxr-xr-x 2 gelmce gelmce        4096 Jun 23 21:23 'HamPi v1.0 by W3DJS'
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gelmce gelmce    91128472 Jun 30 21:05 balena-etcher-electron-1.5.100-linux-x64.zip
 I do not know how to use or install 'balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage'.
I have been using linux since 1993 and have never seen an '.AppImage' file before.
Help!
Chuck

Just use dd on Linux to copy the .img file to the SD card.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 18:30 Bob Knight <bob@...> wrote:
It's executable as-is.

"./balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage"

Takes a while to come up as it checks for updates and what not.

Thanks,
Bob
KI5EJI

On 6/30/20 7:25 PM, chuck gelm wrote:
> I got: '
> Etcher for Linux x64 (64-bit) (AppImage)
>
> Linux
>
> x64
>

> -rwxr-xr-x 1 gelmce gelmce    91645506 Jun 22 09:18
> balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage
> drwxr-xr-x 2 gelmce gelmce        4096 Jun 23 21:23 'HamPi v1.0 by W3DJS'
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 gelmce gelmce    91128472 Jun 30 21:05
> balena-etcher-electron-1.5.100-linux-x64.zip
>
>   I do not know how to use or install 'balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage'.
>
> I have been using linux since 1993 and have never seen an '.AppImage'
> file before.
>
> Help!
>
> Chuck

John Nicholas

So what is the difference between dd on Linux and Balena Etcher?

W3DJS recommends Balena Etcher.   Is this because dd only works on Linux and he is working with people working on Mac or PC?

JN

On Jun 30, 2020, at 8:34 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Just use dd on Linux to copy the .img file to the SD card.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 18:30 Bob Knight <bob@...> wrote:
It's executable as-is.

"./balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage"

Takes a while to come up as it checks for updates and what not.

Thanks,
Bob
KI5EJI

On 6/30/20 7:25 PM, chuck gelm wrote:
> I got: '
> Etcher for Linux x64 (64-bit) (AppImage)
>
> Linux
>
> x64
>

> -rwxr-xr-x 1 gelmce gelmce    91645506 Jun 22 09:18
> balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage
> drwxr-xr-x 2 gelmce gelmce        4096 Jun 23 21:23 'HamPi v1.0 by W3DJS'
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 gelmce gelmce    91128472 Jun 30 21:05
> balena-etcher-electron-1.5.100-linux-x64.zip
>
>   I do not know how to use or install 'balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage'.
>
> I have been using linux since 1993 and have never seen an '.AppImage'
> file before.
>
> Help!
>
> Chuck

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

Ray Wells

dd is a decades old 'Nix command line program for copying data bit for bit - dd stands for disk duplicate - and it is pure command line. I wouldn't recommend it to a Linux newbie, too much chance of choosing the wrong destination drive and overwriting critical data in an unfamiliar environment. Balena Etcher has a GUI with much less chance of making mistakes, and it can auto uncompress some files on the fly. That action is a separate step with dd.

I use both of them, been using Linux since 1994 (and still learning), but Balena is easy when I get lazy.

Ray vk2tv

On Jun 30, 2020, at 8:34 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@hays.org <mailto:john@hays.org>> wrote:

Just use*dd*on Linux to copy the .img file to the SD card.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 18:30 Bob Knight <bob@bobknight.net <mailto:bob@bobknight.net>> wrote:

It's executable as-is.

"./balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage"

Takes a while to come up as it checks for updates and what not.

Thanks,
Bob
KI5EJI

On 6/30/20 7:25 PM, chuck gelm wrote:
> I got: '
> Etcher for Linux x64 (64-bit) (AppImage)
>
> Linux
>
> x64
>

> -rwxr-xr-x 1 gelmce gelmce    91645506 Jun 22 09:18
> balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage
> drwxr-xr-x 2 gelmce gelmce        4096 Jun 23 21:23 'HamPi v1.0
by W3DJS'
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 gelmce gelmce    91128472 Jun 30 21:05
> balena-etcher-electron-1.5.100-linux-x64.zip
>
>   I do not know how to use or install
'balenaEtcher-1.5.100-x64.AppImage'.

> I have been using linux since 1993 and have never seen an
'.AppImage'
> file before.
>
> Help!
>
> Chuck

Stewart Wilkinson

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 02:35 PM, N5XMT wrote:
You have to extract the .tar file
I found that out after copying the .tar file to somewhere I could open it - it would have been better if the instructions made it clear that tihs process was required.

--
Stewart G0LGS