Topics

HamPi 1.0 Release Imminent

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Greetings RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio Fans!

This weekend I released beta version 0.9 of HamPi, the successor to the "W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0" to a small group of volunteers.

So long as there are not any major snags, I expect to publicly release HamPi v1.0 next weekend -- one week before Field Day 2020.

Below are a list of changes:

Big Picture:
    Renamed project to HamPi and added branding (wallpaper, hostname, etc.)
    Converted manually-created (handmade) image creation to Ansible-created (automated) image creation
    Set up ~95% of software projects to automagically download latest version from Internet during build
    Add installation of x86 apps (versus ARM apps) in some cases for use with Raspbian x86
    Automatic upgrade of Raspbian packages and cleaning apt cache

Added:
    Add support for Northwest Digital Radio DRAWS™ Pi HAT
    Initial Chromium Bookmarks for Ham Radio
    Pybombs for GNU Radio https://github.com/gnuradio/pybombs
    AirSpy Driver https://github.com/airspy/airspyone_host
    AirSpy HF Driver https://github.com/airspy/airspyhf
    SoapySDR Driver for AirSpy https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyAirspy
    SoapySDR Driver for FUNcube dongle pro+ https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyFCDPP
    SoapySDR Driver for PlutoSDR https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyPlutoSDR
    SoapySDR Driver for OsmoSDR https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyOsmo
    SoapySDR Driver for Red Pitaya https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyRedPitaya
    SoapySDR Driver for UHD (Ettus Research) https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyUHD
    SoapySDR Driver for VOLK-based type converters https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyVOLKConverters
    AMBEServer https://github.com/marrold/AMBEServer.git
    PatMenu 2.0 https://github.com/km4ack/patmenu2
    wwl - (dpkg) Calculates distance and azimuth between two Maidenhead locators
    wspr https://github.com/DanAnkers/WsprryPi
    QSLware nag dialog
    Configuration of image to use 64-bit kernel

Replaced:

    APRS Message App for JS8Call with JS8CallUtilities_V2
    D-Rats 0.3.3 with D-Rats 0.3.9 (or later) https://github.com/maurizioandreotti/D-Rats
    Removed WiFi Auto Hotspot which caused so many issues previously
    Disabled automatic gpsd connection to USB which caused issues

Updates:
    Includes WSJT-X 2.2.1 (latest build as of June 2020)
    Updates HamLib from 3.3 to 4.0
    Updates FLDigi Suite
    Installs and compiles ax.25 from source
    Installs and compiles linpac from source
    Updates Pat Menu from 1.0 to 2.0
    Adds support to Ansible for slimmer versions of Raspberry Pi OS (formerly known as Raspbian)
    Resize (micro)SD card automatically
    Changes compression format of image from BZip2 to XZ for sizable savings and faster downloads
    Adds HamPi README and LICENSE to Desktop
    Add DRAWS™ HAT documentation to Desktop
    Fixes miscellaneous small bugs

Keep your eyes open next weekend here for the release announcement.

- Dave
  W3DJS

Terry Morris

HamPi Logo not readable.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH USA EN91hd
Linux User# 412308, Ubuntu User# 34905, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, QRP-ARCI#8855, SKCC#14195

How's this?
--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Terry Morris

Much better. Thanks.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH USA EN91hd
Linux User# 412308, Ubuntu User# 34905, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, QRP-ARCI#8855, SKCC#14195

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 7:19 AM Dave Slotter, W3DJS <slotter@...> wrote:
How's this?
--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Keith

I'm an absolute newbie to raspberry pi stuff, and this sounds most interesting.
A question, is this a full instal of raspbian with these apps , or do I have to instal raspbian first then this ?
Sorry but I may have had my licence for 40 years but all this is new to me, been a mac man for ages.
Cheers
Keith   VK6KB / VK6EME

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Hi Keith,

Good question! This is a complete image ready to flash to a (micro)SD card. It includes Raspbian OS and over 80 ham radio applications.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Don Eklund

Where do I find this image to download?

Don

On Jun 16, 2020, at 9:32 AM, Dave Slotter, W3DJS <slotter@...> wrote:

Hi Keith,

Good question! This is a complete image ready to flash to a (micro)SD card. It includes Raspbian OS and over 80 ham radio applications.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Don,

God willing, I will post the link on this group on Friday after the image is available.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Keith

Thanks Dave,
I will be in the que to download it :)
Cheers
Keith

Jeff Palmer

@Dave Slotter

Are you planning on pre-seeding it to a handful of people over
torrent, so we don't have the same issue as last time where we had to
keep changing hosts to download it from due to bandwidth limitations?

I'd bet a handful of volunteers from your early beta group would be
willing to host the torrent so that when you release it on friday, you
have a dozen or more people helping distribute (and then by the nature
of torrents.. more would soon continue hosting when they have the
pieces.)

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:42 PM Dave Slotter, W3DJS <@slotter> wrote:

Don,

God willing, I will post the link on this group on Friday after the image is available.

--
- Dave
W3DJS
--
Jeff Palmer
Palmer IT Consulting, LLC.
https://PalmerIT.net

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Hi Jeff,

I plan to seed the very first BitTorrent on my Gigabit Fiber, so that should ease things considerably.

Unlike the 17GB monstrosity I had the first time around, the image is now 1/6 the size thanks to XZ compression and clean-up after package installation that my Ansible scripts perform. The new image weighs in at just over 3GB.

In addition, I expect to have 2.5X the number of direct download sites I had last time:

2 Google Drive accounts (mine and a fellow ham's)
2 Hosting provider links (two fellow hams)
1 Posted image to GitHub under the project -- if GitHub will accept a 3GB image file.

If anyone else wants to volunteer to host, please get in touch with me offline, and we'll get you set up.

Still not perfect, but things should be a fair-bit easier this time around for folks.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Bob

Tnx! I’m at the end of the Line with a tiny pipe! Download speeds are akin to a 300baud audio telephone cradle modem kit from a 1974 Radio Shack catalog!! The 3gb image may be doable here.

73 de Bob
K4RCG

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 17:20 Dave Slotter, W3DJS <slotter@...> wrote:
[...]

N5XMT

I'll host a copy if you want as well.  My google drive has 8.5G free still

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 2:20 PM Dave Slotter, W3DJS <slotter@...> wrote:
[...]

David Ranch

Hey Dave,

One thing that you should ask to your user base is to have them use Bittorrent to download the image.  In addition to that, ask your users that once downloaded, DON'T exit their BitTorrent client.  Instead, ask the user to leave their bittorrent client running for day two weeks as a form of appreciation for all the work you've done on your image.  If that happens, downloads for other users should remain very fast .

On 06/17/2020 02:20 PM, Dave Slotter, W3DJS wrote:
[...]

@Dave Slotter That is excellent news!

Might I suggest though, that you ask a couple of your volunteers to go
ahead and download your bittorent, and let them help seed also?

The reason I suggest this: Based on the popularity last time, I'm
guessing your fiber gigabit will be overwhelmed pretty quickly. And
then everyone is "stuck" downloading insanely slowly until your client
eventually hands out all of the parts.

If you have (for example) 10 or 20 seeders at the start who have the
full torrent downloaded and seeding before you make the torrent
public, the initial wave of people downloading will go
(theoretically) 20x faster. And then based on how torrent works,
each *new* person who has a copy, also becomes a seeder, so over time
the "strain" on the initial seeders is reduced as the available pool
of people sharing it gets larger.

This is exactly the process that large communities like linux distros
and BSD distros use.. they seed the initial torrent to a bunch of
trusted seed hosts, then they make the announcement so that the
initial wave is shared, and no 1 connection is sharing the brunt of
the attack.

With that said, I don't actually have a use for the image currently
(I'm without HF capabilities at the moment) But I'd be happy to be one
of the initial seeders if you would like. I can setup the torrent on
a couple of well-connected hosts.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 5:20 PM Dave Slotter, W3DJS <@slotter> wrote:

[...]

N5XMT,

Please send me an email offline and we'll get you set up to hose another direct download.

Thanks and 73,

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

David, KI6ZHD,

I plan to do that.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

hi freiend .i have space on google drive, on onedrive 1TB. if you need help I am available, PW8PM.

Em qua., 17 de jun. de 2020 às 17:20, Dave Slotter, W3DJS <slotter@...> escreveu:

[...]

JOSE VALDIR DE LIMA
CURSO SUPERIOR EM ANÁLISE E DESENVOLVIMENTO DE SISTEMAS
INSTITUTO FEDERAL DE RONDÔNIA
POLICIAL MILITAR/RO
RADIOAMADOR - PW8PM
MEMBRO PRESIDENTE  ARSATC.ORG
SÓCIO LABRE-SP
FILIADO A RENER(REDE NACIONAL DE EMERGÊNCIA DE RADIOAMADORES)

John Records

Dave, I'm confused. Is HamPi still in beta and not generally available? I've searched for the download link and haven't found it. 73 de KE0DDV.

Tomorrow.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 8:51 AM John Records <john.records@...> wrote:
Dave, I'm confused. Is HamPi still in beta and not generally available? I've searched for the download link and haven't found it. 73 de KE0DDV.

Kingston, WA
K7VE