Topics

PiTNC9k6 settings

John Wiseman

My board has a 3 way header for each of the Pi Serial port pins (JP3 and 4). The right hand pair of jumpers connects to the Teensy Serial 1. The left hand pair connects to the ESP Header (which is also connected to the Teensy Serial 3) so it can be a little confusing. With the jumpers on the right hand pins and with this in TeensyConfigPacket

#define HOSTPORT Serial1
#define SERIAL1SIZE 512
#define HOSTSPEED 19200

#define MONPORT Serial

the host connection is on the Pi Header and monitor/debug output is on the USB serial port.

The Teensy will appear as i2c device 30 (Hex 1E), but this is only for configuration, not data transfer.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 15/06/2020 05:34, N5XMT wrote:
My coastal chipworks board is that same one and goes to pins 0 and 1.
The new K2MJM V2 runs the pi serial to ports 7 and 8 thru the jumpers next to the GPIO header.  Those were swapped RX/TX as well.  Just used 2 jumper wires and cross jumped those headers and serial now works with hosstserial set to serial3 in TeensyConfigPacket.h

On Jun 14, 2020, at 21:24, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
My version 1.3 5/21/2016 PCB from Costal Chipworks has pins 0 and 1 going to the PI headers.  pin 7 and 8 are not connected to anything.  Do you have a different version?

Mat

N5XMT

Been Playing, still transmits fine, monitoring, I can see the radio receiving, sounds clear, ADC auto adjusts for rx and it stays between 80 and 130, but nothing sent is being put back thru to the software.  DCD LED comes on when receiving nice and solid, so I assume it is decoding something
axlisten -a shows nothing received, but can see what xastir is sending to the TNC...  Any ideas?

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 9:49 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Glad you got is working!  So something else I found that was nifty was that the Raspberry Pi 4 has 4 serial ports.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244528

In theory you could jumper those pins over to that bank of pins you were messing with and stack a couple of the TNC's.

Mat

N5XMT

That's pretty cool!

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 9:49 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Glad you got is working!  So something else I found that was nifty was that the Raspberry Pi 4 has 4 serial ports.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244528

In theory you could jumper those pins over to that bank of pins you were messing with and stack a couple of the TNC's.

Mat

Mat Murdock

Glad you got is working!  So something else I found that was nifty was that the Raspberry Pi 4 has 4 serial ports.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244528

In theory you could jumper those pins over to that bank of pins you were messing with and stack a couple of the TNC's.

Mat

N5XMT

Yep, just replied.  while troubleshooting I moved the jumpers to the left in the pic... a little more time with the DMM and found that... moved them back, recompiled with serial1 set for hostserial and all is well...

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 9:43 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
You actually can choose which pins from the Teensy you want to have routed Pi.  If you jumper the pins as shown below then pins 0 and 1 from the Teensy are routed to the PI.  I then have the following defined in TeensyConfigPacket.h

  #define HOSTPORT Serial1
  #define MONPORT Serial
  #define HOSTSPEED 19200

Mat

N5XMT

AND, just figured out the jumpers as well...  Moved from the 1st and 2nd pin to the 2nd and 3rd, and they DO connect properly to pins 0 and 1... Got way ahead of myself with troubleshooting at first and was moving the jumpers around... Back to serial 1 in TeencyPacketConfig.h and all is well.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 9:34 PM N5XMT via groups.io <dacooley=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Aha!
TX and RX are also swapped... Going to pull the jumper blocks and use a couple breadboard wires (f-f) to jump them crosswise and see what happens

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 9:03 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
All I changed from John's original design was how some of the traces were routed, (I guess I have a touch of OCD).  I cleaned up how each component was marked to make assembly easier.  I changed all the resistor holes to be the same size, some were 1/4 watt and others 1/8.  And the latest version has all the holes for the mini din 6 so you don't have to clip the sides off.  Other then that I left everything so people can hack away at the board.

Mat

N5XMT

I've got an original bare board here that I may just swap the teensy over to.
Using my DMM to trace the connections, the old is definitely serial on 0 and 1 of the teensy, and the new one is definitely 7 and 8.  Probably why the issues with no serial are from new units.  Not familiar enough with the teensy to know if serial 3 needs set up differently in the libraries to initialize.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 9:03 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
All I changed from John's original design was how some of the traces were routed, (I guess I have a touch of OCD).  I cleaned up how each component was marked to make assembly easier.  I changed all the resistor holes to be the same size, some were 1/4 watt and others 1/8.  And the latest version has all the holes for the mini din 6 so you don't have to clip the sides off.  Other then that I left everything so people can hack away at the board.

Mat

N5XMT

I have one of the original Pi TNC's that I run over serial, so I know the setup on the Pi is good for the port.  The Pi9K6 just doesn't want to run at all over serial.  Johns original 9K6 board routed serial to pins 0 and 1 of the teensy, serial1.  The new boards route it to pins 7&8, Serial3.
I just can't get any comms.  I did get an original Pitnc9k6 board, so I mar just build it and move the teensy over since the schematic for it looks like it should work with serial without issues.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 8:33 PM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have four TNC-Pi9k6 boards, two from Coastal Chipworks (now defunct) and two I made from the original John Wiseman prototype boards. All of them work perfectly through /dev/serial0. It depends upon your Raspberry Pi settings and the TNC-Pi9k6 settings.  I have not tried one from Mat yet but I believe they are a little different.

I would look at the docs on setting up the Pi console serial port. It needs to be enabled but no console running.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 8:11 PM, N5XMT
<dacooley@...> wrote:
So everything works great via I2C.  Radio is hooked up, tones all sound good, other stations can see me.  When receiving, I see the ADC auto adjusts, and drops from 200 to an actual of 127.  Amber rx light comes on, but I get nothing back in to xastir.
I have tried a few Packet terminals I have found, but they all want actual d\serial or ax.25 ports to talk and will not recognize the symlink created using the i2ckiss program.  I have looked at the schematic, and it appears the original pitnc9k6 used RX1 and TX1 on the teensy (Serial 1) at pins 0 and 1.
Tracing from the Pi serial pins (8 & 10 on the 40 pin header) they run thru the 2 jumpers to pins 7&8 on the Teensy (RX3 and TX3).
In TeensyConfigPacket.h, it is configured as serial1.  I changed that to serial3, and still no comm to the teensy via serial.
Has anyone actually been able to use the PiTNC9k6 with serial/AX.25 at all, and if so, how?  I have gone thru my pi settings, even hooked up an FTDI cable and re-configured the serial port as a console port to verify it is working as it should.
And the 2 jumper blocks are on the 2 end pins of each 3 pin header closest to the end of the board (Rpi GPIO Pin 1 end) and both have continuity from the pi to the teensy.
Thanks

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 3:39 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
I am testing version 11 to make sure everything is working before I start loading it on new TNC's.  I have noted that the default values are not being set on the Teensy when I first flash it.  This is what I get on the console.

   TNC Software Version          11
01 TXDelay - Zero means use ADC 255
02 Persistance                  255
03 Slottime (in 10 mS)          255
04 TXTail                       255
05 Full Duplex - Not used       255
06 Our Channel (Hex)             ff
07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   ff
08 Mode Speed                  25500
09 RX Level (Config)            255
10 TX Level                     255
11 RX Level (Actual)              0
13 Centre Freq                 2550
8 b ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 ff fc c0 sum 0

Any thoughts on why this may not be working?  What file is the SetDefaultKISSParams function at?

Mat

Mat Murdock

All I changed from John's original design was how some of the traces were routed, (I guess I have a touch of OCD).  I cleaned up how each component was marked to make assembly easier.  I changed all the resistor holes to be the same size, some were 1/4 watt and others 1/8.  And the latest version has all the holes for the mini din 6 so you don't have to clip the sides off.  Other then that I left everything so people can hack away at the board.

Mat

Mark Griffith

<dacooley@...> wrote:
[...]

Reply to N5XMT regarding defaults.

Review this post for what I use as defaults.

https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/message/11255

Mat

Mat Murdock

I'm not sure why I did this, but in TeensyConfigpkt.h I had changed the pins as show below.  I think 2 and 3 were reversed before. NBD.

#define LED0 24
#define LED1 25
#define LED2 26
#define LED3 31

Mat

N5XMT

This line should be
//Turn on LED2 for to show TNC is on. ~K2MJM
SetLED(LED3, 1);

2 is amber

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 8:03 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Those were modifications I had made to the code.  It looks like John added the led cycle part which is cool.  If you want to add the "power" led

Look for this code in /libraries/TeensyConfig/TeensyCommon.ccp, around line 210 or so.

#ifdef WDTBOARD

  pinMode (SW1, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode (SW2, INPUT_PULLUP);
//  pinMode (SW3, INPUT_PULLUP);
//  pinMode (SW4, INPUT_PULLUP);

#endif

Add this right before it.

//Turn on LED2 for to show TNC is on. ~K2MJM
SetLED(LED2, 1);

Mat

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 7:23 PM N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:
What about the LED's?
with the version 11, on power up or reset, the all come on then turn off one at a time including the green one.  All off.
With version 6, they did the turn off one at a time, but the green stayed on.
Thanks

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 12:11 AM John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
Correct.

You can only change the i2c address via setparams for the original TNC-Pi. With the Teensy code you have to edit TeensyConfigPacket.h to switch between serial and i2c or to change i2c address (but you shouldn't need to to that).

Check your TeensyConfigPacket.h setting to confirm host port and speed.

The Teensy code will respond to i2c config requests even when set to use the serial port to the pi.

73,
John

On 11/06/2020 03:10, N5XMT wrote:
Went back to 6, and changing the i2c address shows as changed in getparams, but the address never changes.  Setting it to 0 for serial does nothing but change the value returned with getparams. Even after a reboot it never responds to serial and only responds to i2c address 0x1e (30)

On Jun 10, 2020, at 10:16, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
Software Version 6 is pretty old. The current is 11 and will initialise all parameters on first run.

The Default values are TXDelay 25 Persist 64 slottime 10 (100 ms) TxTail 1 Our Chan 0 RX Level 0 Center Freq 170

TX level should be set to suit your radio. 25 will give about 300 mV peak to peak output.

The latest software can be downloaded from http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/Beta/TeensyProjects.zip

73,
John G8BPQ

On 10/06/2020 17:10, N5XMT wrote:
Yep, have that.
still a couple not mentioned that I need as well, since all of them are maxxed at 255...
Here is what is set in mine (changed baud from 2550 to 1200 already)  The ones here marked with <<<<< are the ones never mentioned, and also the difference between RX Level (config) and RX Level (Actual).
Does someone possibly have one up and running that can send me what they have their params set to?
Thanks

# ./pitnc_getparams 1 30
pitnc_getparams Version 0.0.0.5

   TNC Software Version           6
01 TXDelay - Zero means use ADC 255
02 Persistance                  255
03 Slottime (in 10 mS)          255
04 TXTail                       255
05 Full Duplex - Not used       255
06 Our Channel (Hex)             ff <<<<<
07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   1e
08 Mode Speed                  1200
09 RX Level (Config)            255
10 TX Level                     255
11 RX Level (Actual)            255
13 Centre Freq                 2550 <<<<<
8 6 ff ff ff ff ff ff 1e c ff ff ff ff 1c c0 sum 0

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 8:31 AM Mat Murdock < mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Here is a link to their manual.  Look at page 11 - 13.

ttp:// www.tnc-x.com/TNCPi9K6.pdf

I will update ours with the bits that are missing from that section.

Mat

Mat Murdock

[...]

Don Poaps

I have my new P4 8GB coming today or tomorrow. The info show on the website says, Stretch. Will I have any issues getting this setup?
 I got the Bluetooth TNC3 down with pointers and info from KM4ACK. So I know there's commands to turn on the TNC like Kissattach etc.

I like to get this running so our radio club can forward Winlink Messages to a Winlink Gateway if we lose the Internet. I know John GB8BPQ BPQ software will work. I still have the bpq.config file I can attempt. It's the TNC-X PI and it's setting is kind of confusing. The LED light is cool.

Once I set the tnc up. Is this created with the unzipping of parameter file>

 /libraries/TeensyConfig/TeensyCommon.ccp,

Matt mention line 210.

#ifdef WDTBOARD

  pinMode (SW1, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode (SW2, INPUT_PULLUP);
//  pinMode (SW3, INPUT_PULLUP);
//  pinMode (SW4, INPUT_PULLUP);

#endif

Add this right before it.

//Turn on LED2 for to show TNC is on. ~K2MJM
SetLED(LED2, 1);

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 8:23 AM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You can still access the TNC-PI9K6 docs at Coastal Chipworks. They will be more complete.

Mark
KD0QYN