Topics

8Gb RPI4 info...

Lawrence Macionski

Dave ---and others eavesdropping.

I did a linux thing (BSD,RED HAT, DEBIAN, others I can't remember) once with UBUNTU and a HP compaq dual core surplus workstation you can buy stateside for under $100 delivered to your door. and no matter what, the HP integrated video and UBUNTU didn't jive with each other. Nothing but problems.

Now since then, 2 years later, I basically loaded Linux MINT on the same machine. for no other reason than to read Raspberry PI SD cards, and play with some astronomy programs. I can handle command line linux just fine.  I really found MINT linux the easiest linux distro I've used.. I may even consider using it to replace my Windows Home Server 2011 which Microsoft quit supporting when they found at $50 for the machine builders copy, it really was essentially a 10-12 client Windows Server 2008R2 and could handle a small law office /doctors office/ insurance office or small business  at much less than real Microsoft Server licensing costs.

So given all the flavors of Linux and Windoze... I'm happiest with MINT and W7Ultimate...or 2000progessional.. I do have a later build fo W10 on a machine and it's much better than when W10 first came out.. I have concluded the EVIL Empire  can offer no shining light -- it's a lost cause and your soul will burn in hell forever. It will be forever taunted by the good guys, the rebel forces, who will continue to drive X fighters up it's bong hole. on a regular basis. Joe and Sally six pack every few years will go out and buy a new computer because Darth vapor says you have to or else.. I need mo- money!!

Question has anyone with Windows 7 receive a "Microsoft Update" that looks like it's coming for Microsoft.  We were told there are no longer updates.. Tt's even in UPDATE -CONTROL PANEL- it blows away the boot block... Turn off auto updates..I believe it's:
"2020-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4534310)"
Download size: 314.4 MB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
More information:
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4534310
Help and Support:
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4534310

Regards,

Larry W8LM

N5XMT

I wish I still had my Commodore 64

On Jun 9, 2020, at 10:39, Allen <alhiggins@...> wrote:
Lawrence,
  Motorola 6502, now you are dating your self. I remember the Commadore that blew away the performance of the IBM because IBM had sloppy programming and multi platforming chips.  LOL...

--
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio

David KD4E <dcolburn@...>

Use MX Linux. No dependency problems, it's all tested before added to repository. Great Forum support.

1st microprocessor I learned assembler on.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 10:39 AM Allen <alhiggins@...> wrote:
Lawrence,
  Motorola 6502, now you are dating your self. I remember the Commadore that blew away the performance of the IBM because IBM had sloppy programming and multi platforming chips.  LOL...

--
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Allen

Lawrence,
  Motorola 6502, now you are dating your self. I remember the Commadore that blew away the performance of the IBM because IBM had sloppy programming and multi platforming chips.  LOL...

--
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO

Dave Wade

Lawrence,

Excuse the rant that follows….

The remark was merely to disarm the “well Linux is faster” brigade, who insist its mana from heaven, yet every time I try it and then attempt to install some (simple) software I fall down some hell hole of library clashes.

The latest battle was with “cmake” which is also supposed to be the “42” of makes, yet trying to get a recent version of it onto my lubuntu box makes the 12 labors of Hercules seem like a gentle Sunday stroll, and the conjugation of Spanish verbs straight forward.

I ended up manually copying the binaries into /usr/local/bin. Folks tell me this may make future updating “hard” but seeing as there are only 4 or 5 I am sure I can easily delete them later when I need to this and allowed me to install openwebrx and get my SDR going. Just to get closer to the topics, I was trying the lubuntu box (HP Miniserver) just to see how much interference my PI generates on 2mtrs. The answer seems to be “a lot” so next task is linear PSU for the PI…

As for “others” well not that’s current. RISC is hardware, not software. Solaris might work, but the Intel port is picky about hardware. NT4 or Windows/2000 would probably be OK but so long out of support not worth trying.

Really its just poor hardware. The Intel Atom CPU is optimized for low power consumption. The battery lasts for three or four hours. However whilst the designers fulfilled this part of the design, it seems, they forgot that to be useful it needs to execute more than one instruction a fortnight….

… as for operating systems getting in the way, well in normal times I demonstrate the replica Baby at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester

https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/meet-baby

… and having only seven instructions and 32 words of storage it makes event a PIC chip look like a Super Computer, never mind an Arduino

Dave

G4UGM

(and yes its me on the picture. Only because they wanted a lady as well and Christine was there….)