Topics

8Gb RPI4 info...

Lawrence Macionski

Dave ---and others eavesdropping.

I did a linux thing (BSD,RED HAT, DEBIAN, others I can't remember) once with UBUNTU and a HP compaq dual core surplus workstation you can buy stateside for under $100 delivered to your door. and no matter what, the HP integrated video and UBUNTU didn't jive with each other. Nothing but problems. 

Now since then, 2 years later, I basically loaded Linux MINT on the same machine. for no other reason than to read Raspberry PI SD cards, and play with some astronomy programs. I can handle command line linux just fine.  I really found MINT linux the easiest linux distro I've used.. I may even consider using it to replace my Windows Home Server 2011 which Microsoft quit supporting when they found at $50 for the machine builders copy, it really was essentially a 10-12 client Windows Server 2008R2 and could handle a small law office /doctors office/ insurance office or small business  at much less than real Microsoft Server licensing costs. 

So given all the flavors of Linux and Windoze... I'm happiest with MINT and W7Ultimate...or 2000progessional.. I do have a later build fo W10 on a machine and it's much better than when W10 first came out.. I have concluded the EVIL Empire  can offer no shining light -- it's a lost cause and your soul will burn in hell forever. It will be forever taunted by the good guys, the rebel forces, who will continue to drive X fighters up it's bong hole. on a regular basis. Joe and Sally six pack every few years will go out and buy a new computer because Darth vapor says you have to or else.. I need mo- money!!

Question has anyone with Windows 7 receive a "Microsoft Update" that looks like it's coming for Microsoft.  We were told there are no longer updates.. Tt's even in UPDATE -CONTROL PANEL- it blows away the boot block... Turn off auto updates..I believe it's:
"2020-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4534310)"
Download size: 314.4 MB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
More information:
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4534310
Help and Support:
https://support.microsoft.com/help/4534310

Regards,

Larry W8LM

N5XMT

I wish I still had my Commodore 64

On Jun 9, 2020, at 10:39, Allen <alhiggins@...> wrote:
Lawrence,
  Motorola 6502, now you are dating your self. I remember the Commadore that blew away the performance of the IBM because IBM had sloppy programming and multi platforming chips.  LOL...

--
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO

David KD4E <dcolburn@...>

Use MX Linux. No dependency problems, it's all tested before added to repository. Great Forum support.

1st microprocessor I learned assembler on.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 10:39 AM Allen <alhiggins@...> wrote:
Lawrence,
  Motorola 6502, now you are dating your self. I remember the Commadore that blew away the performance of the IBM because IBM had sloppy programming and multi platforming chips.  LOL...

--
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO

--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

Allen

Lawrence,

--
Allen Higgins
Brunswick, Ohio
KE8KZO

Dave Wade

Lawrence,

Excuse the rant that follows….

The remark was merely to disarm the “well Linux is faster” brigade, who insist its mana from heaven, yet every time I try it and then attempt to install some (simple) software I fall down some hell hole of library clashes.

The latest battle was with “cmake” which is also supposed to be the “42” of makes, yet trying to get a recent version of it onto my lubuntu box makes the 12 labors of Hercules seem like a gentle Sunday stroll, and the conjugation of Spanish verbs straight forward.

I ended up manually copying the binaries into /usr/local/bin. Folks tell me this may make future updating “hard” but seeing as there are only 4 or 5 I am sure I can easily delete them later when I need to this and allowed me to install openwebrx and get my SDR going. Just to get closer to the topics, I was trying the lubuntu box (HP Miniserver) just to see how much interference my PI generates on 2mtrs. The answer seems to be “a lot” so next task is linear PSU for the PI…

As for “others” well not that’s current. RISC is hardware, not software. Solaris might work, but the Intel port is picky about hardware. NT4 or Windows/2000 would probably be OK but so long out of support not worth trying.

Really its just poor hardware. The Intel Atom CPU is optimized for low power consumption. The battery lasts for three or four hours. However whilst the designers fulfilled this part of the design, it seems, they forgot that to be useful it needs to execute more than one instruction a fortnight….

… as for operating systems getting in the way, well in normal times I demonstrate the replica Baby at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester

https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/whats-on/meet-baby

… and having only seven instructions and 32 words of storage it makes event a PIC chip look like a Super Computer, never mind an Arduino

Dave

G4UGM

(and yes its me on the picture. Only because they wanted a lady as well and Christine was there….)

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lawrence Macionski via groups.io
Sent: 09 June 2020 15:19
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] 8Gb RPI4 info...

Dave-
your comment "it doesn’t matter which OS, Windows/XP, 7 or 10, or a host of light weight Linux systems. All are equally slow)" Is there better? some RISC or perhaps obscure "Solaris"?   Don't get me wrong, to me the O/S is like going to a restaurant. You get to choose, tables, dine in or carry out. eat on the patio, Punch the chef in the nose. To get to the meat and potatoes--- the program.. and the speed you get it. depends on if it's been compiled and how good that is, or natively written in machine code, and just how many people do that these days. Not I since the 6502 days...

So given any O/S once you select the program... it runs at some speed dependent on if it's using an interperator, or how good the complier is, or if someone actually wrote it in machine language. even then how many "calls" are being made to the O/S or drivers, and so on. Then on top of all of that, what overhead is going on.....An O/S does not necessarly determine speed of a "job" or the program. Speed is determined on many factors such as the number of processes running, cache, DMA's,  interrupts, swap space,  and who the programmer was and how he attacked and solved the programming task.

That's why the lowly ARDUINO works as well as it does, there is no O/S only machine language code running. Now it still can be tweaked by the quality of the compiler, and the programmers ability. to write the coding structure for efficient execution.

Back in the day of my 1st programming class at Henry Ford College maybe 1968, the instructor gave us a programming problem an engineering drawing of a block with various holes drilled in it. We were given a 2x4x4 piece of wood and loaded it into a NC drill press and ran our paper tape. You passed if you drilled the holes, right number in the right place, at the right depth...The instructor had a go-no go gauge that verified location and depth of holes. That was Pass-FAIL. Go-no GO. If Go,Your grade was determined by the instructor pinning the paper tape to the wall and who had the shortest paper tape..got the highest grade..  One gal had a paper tape twice as long as everyone else but by the GO-NO go  guage she passed. She had no idea as to how to be productive.  

So to me the O/s is an evil necessity in order to load, execute, move, copy, delete or save a program. Some early O/S's like CP/M and DOS batch, that's about all you could do.. old guys well know the program pip...

Marty Hartwell

Hi

Thanks that is good idea, of just adding adding a user and keeping the Pi user id too. I haven't

used a windows PC for years on a regular basis, and also haven't been a system admin on Unix

for over 20 years now and there have been a lot of changes in that amount of time. I do

remember quite a lot though. I was just hoping there might be some write up on some pitfalls

to watch out for.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/8/20 5:09 PM, N5XMT wrote:
You would add a user.  Trying to change the name of a user will possibly cause issues down the road with permissions.  If you are wanting to use it to replace a windows PC, I would suggest finding an introductory Linux book to read to familiarize yourself a bit first. 

On Jun 8, 2020, at 13:17, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Ok, good to know, I guess I should of known that but didn't even consider it.

The subject line I guess made me question.

Thanks, I am thinking of replacing a laptop with one of the 8 GB ones for the

home PC.

Does anyone know of a link to a description on how to change the user id from pi

to something else. I don't want to make it multi  user, just the user so it looks more

like my laptop currently does.

Marty

On 6/8/20 3:11 PM, N5XMT wrote:
They are all 64 bit ones.  Even the 3B and 3B+ are 64 bit architecture

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Marty Hartwell < mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Joe

Is it one of the 64bit ones?

Marty kd8bj

On 6/8/20 1:15 PM, Joe, KO8V wrote:
Just had one delivered today from CanaKit.

--
Joe, KO8V

Lawrence Macionski

Edited

Dave-
your comment "it doesn’t matter which OS, Windows/XP, 7 or 10, or a host of light weight Linux systems. All are equally slow)" Is there better? some RISC or perhaps obscure "Solaris"?   Don't get me wrong, to me the O/S is like going to a restaurant. You get to choose, tables, dine in or carry out. eat on the patio, Punch the chef in the nose. you can do plenty before you even sit or order..To get to the meat and potatoes--- the program.. and the speed you get it. depends on if it's been compiled and how good that is, or natively written in machine code, and just how many people do that these days. Not I since the 6502 days...

So given any O/S once you select the program... it runs at some speed dependent on if it's using an interperator, or how good the complier is, or if someone actually wrote it in machine language. even then how many "calls" are being made to the O/S or drivers, and so on. Then on top of all of that, what overhead is going on.....An O/S does not necessarly determine speed of a "job" or the program. Speed is determined on many factors such as the number of processes running, cache, DMA's,  interrupts, swap space,  and who the programmer was and how he attacked and solved the programming task.

That's why the lowly ARDUINO works as well as it does, there is no O/S only machine language code running. Now it still can be tweaked by the quality of the compiler, and the programmers ability. to write the coding structure for efficient execution.

Back in the day of my 1st programming class at Henry Ford College maybe 1968, the instructor gave us a programming problem an engineering drawing of a block with various holes drilled in it. We were given a 2x4x4 piece of wood and loaded it into a NC drill press and ran our paper tape. You passed if you drilled the holes, right number in the right place, at the right depth...The instructor had a go-no go gauge that verified location and depth of holes. That was Pass-FAIL. Go-no GO. If Go,Your grade was determined by the instructor pinning the paper tape to the wall and who had the shortest paper tape..got the highest grade..  One gal had a paper tape twice as long as everyone else but by the GO-NO go  guage she passed. She had no idea as to how to be productive.  

So to me the O/s is an evil necessity in order to load, execute, move, copy, delete or save a program. Some early O/S's like CP/M and DOS batch, that's about all you could do.. old guys well know the program pip...

Dave Wade

Ron,

It would struggle to be any more useless that the horrid Intel Atom Netbook I bought a year or too ago. Even the later dual-core netbooks are abdominal creatures.

I still keep it for “Emergencies” but really it is, as my dad would have said, neither use nor ornament, and I am sure a PI 4 would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Dave

G4UGM

(and before any one says it, it doesn’t matter which OS, Windows/XP, 7 or 10, or a host of light weight Linux systems. All are equally slow)

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Liekens
Sent: 09 June 2020 10:29
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] 8Gb RPI4 info...

I do not see the gain of producing a 8 Gb Pi4. The Pi is not going to replace a good working laptop even if it has 8 Gb. Its simply to perform very poorly in everyday use even compared to a present day Celeron cpu or even beter a new generation AMD cpu. There are other SBC's that are more suitable for this. This said I love the PI4b every day as a low cost SBC for what it does with radio's. Just my 2 cents.

Ron, ON2RON

Ron Liekens

I do not see the gain of producing a 8 Gb Pi4. The Pi is not going to replace a good working laptop even if it has 8 Gb. Its simply to perform very poorly in everyday use even compared to a present day Celeron cpu or even beter a new generation AMD cpu. There are other SBC's that are more suitable for this. This said I love the PI4b every day as a low cost SBC for what it does with radio's. Just my 2 cents.

Ron, ON2RON

N5XMT

You would add a user.  Trying to change the name of a user will possibly cause issues down the road with permissions.  If you are wanting to use it to replace a windows PC, I would suggest finding an introductory Linux book to read to familiarize yourself a bit first. 

On Jun 8, 2020, at 13:17, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

home PC.

Does anyone know of a link to a description on how to change the user id from pi

to something else. I don't want to make it multi  user, just the user so it looks more

Marty

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Marty Hartwell < mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Joe

Marty kd8bj

--
Joe, KO8V

Chaplain Dave Sparks

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:15 PM Joe, KO8V <jgdevince@...> wrote:

--
Joe, KO8V

I just ordered mine this morning from the same vendor. Mine is apparently coming from the second batch, and they quoted a ship date of 7/15/2020.

eBay has various vendors "scalping" them for $100+. I've waited this long to purchase a 4B to keep by 3B and 3B+ company, so another month or so is no big deal. I'm glad I procrastinated and now the 8GB model is available.

--
73 de Chaplain Dave Sparks - Callsign: AF6AS

Marty Hartwell

home PC.

Marty

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Joe

Marty kd8bj

--
Joe, KO8V

N5XMT

The beta 64 bit version if the Raspberry Pi OS (used to be Raspbian, but they renamed it) really runs pretty good.  I have quite a few items running on mine, with the Pi 4B 8G overclocked to 1.75GHz.  So far, no glitches, hiccups or errors, and it boots directly to a SSD after the first flash of the beta boot loader firmware is installed.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:31 PM Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi John

I see my mistake, on a previous email from someone the Subject lead me to believe the

Raspberry PI 64 bit was in beta testing, however in Parens it said Raspian was in beta testing.

I can go ahead and order the 8GB one and then wait for the next issue of the OS.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/8/20 2:20 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
I think they all are 64 bit hardware, it is the OS that determines if it runs in 32 or 64 bit mode.

Hi Joe

Marty kd8bj

--
Joe, KO8V

--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

N5XMT

Hi Joe

Marty kd8bj

--
Joe, KO8V

N5XMT

Got mine Friday from Vilros

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:15 PM Joe, KO8V <jgdevince@...> wrote:

--
Joe, KO8V

Marty Hartwell

Hi John

I see my mistake, on a previous email from someone the Subject lead me to believe the

Raspberry PI 64 bit was in beta testing, however in Parens it said Raspian was in beta testing.

I can go ahead and order the 8GB one and then wait for the next issue of the OS.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/8/20 2:20 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
I think they all are 64 bit hardware, it is the OS that determines if it runs in 32 or 64 bit mode.

Hi Joe

Marty kd8bj

--
Joe, KO8V

--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

Hi Joe

Marty kd8bj

--
Joe, KO8V

--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

Marty Hartwell

Hi Joe

Marty kd8bj

--
Joe, KO8V

Joe, KO8V

--
Joe, KO8V