Topics

New Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM :: native 64bit version of Raspberry Pi OS (was Raspbian) in Beta

David Ranch

Hey Everyone,

I don't know if it was posted here yet but a new Raspberry Pi 4 has been released with 8GB of RAM.  It's basically the same SBC as the older Rpi4 but now with more RAM:

   https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/issues/94/pdf page 36

   https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-8gb-tested

In addition to this, it sounds like Raspbian has been renamed to "Raspberry Pi OS" and there is a native 64bit version of it already in beta.  While it sounds like this OS will consume more RAM, you WILL see better performance on it.  Check out the Tom's Hardware link for some examples.

stephen shearer

I have also noticed other updates. There are many youtube videos about booting from SSD. I have found (at least) one that gives enough detail for me to understand what "they" are doing...

BOOT Rpi from SSD…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5tJBdUO-s

SEE: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711_bootloader_config.md
and https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md

"your" comments?? Has anyone tried?
I would "guess" if pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin changed...
73, steve WB3LGC

[Code]

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot
sudo apt install rpi-eeprom
sudo nano /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update

replace “critical” with “beta”
<ctrl> x , y, and Enter

sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/beta/pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin
sudo reboot

vcgencmd bootloader_version
vcgencmd bootloader_config

On 5/30/20 7:50 PM, David Ranch wrote:
Hey Everyone,
I don't know if it was posted here yet but a new Raspberry Pi 4 has been released with 8GB of RAM.  It's basically the same SBC as the older Rpi4 but now with more RAM:
https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/issues/94/pdf page 36
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-8gb-tested
In addition to this, it sounds like Raspbian has been renamed to "Raspberry Pi OS" and there is a native 64bit version of it already in beta.  While it sounds like this OS will consume more RAM, you WILL see better performance on it.  Check out the Tom's Hardware link for some examples.

N5XMT

I have 2 of the 8G pi4B's coming.  Been playing with the 64 bit OS as well.  Not really using much more ram than the standard Raspbian doesI have 4 of the 4G pi's running various things around the house (Including 2 3D printers).  One of them is overclocked to 2.1GHz and has been running for 3 months without a single hiccup as a MUD server.

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 4:51 PM David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I don't know if it was posted here yet but a new Raspberry Pi 4 has been released with 8GB of RAM.  It's basically the same SBC as the older Rpi4 but now with more RAM:

   https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/issues/94/pdf page 36

   https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-8gb-tested

In addition to this, it sounds like Raspbian has been renamed to "Raspberry Pi OS" and there is a native 64bit version of it already in beta.  While it sounds like this OS will consume more RAM, you WILL see better performance on it.  Check out the Tom's Hardware link for some examples.

N5XMT

Yep, works great.  No SD card.  Running a 500GB Samsung EVO 860 drive.  hdparm shows approx 300MB/Sec transfer rates, SD was about 40MB

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 5:21 PM stephen shearer <sm.shearer.01@...> wrote:
I have also noticed other updates.  There are many youtube videos about
booting from SSD.  I have found (at least) one that gives enough detail
for me to understand what "they" are doing...

BOOT Rpi from SSD…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O5tJBdUO-s

SEE:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711_bootloader_config.md
and
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md

"your" comments??  Has anyone tried?
I would "guess" if pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin changed...
73, steve WB3LGC

[Code]

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot
sudo apt install rpi-eeprom
sudo nano /etc/default/rpi-eeprom-update

replace “critical” with “beta”
<ctrl> x , y, and Enter

sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f
/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/beta/pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin
sudo reboot

vcgencmd bootloader_version
vcgencmd bootloader_config

On 5/30/20 7:50 PM, David Ranch wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I don't know if it was posted here yet but a new Raspberry Pi 4 has been
> released with 8GB of RAM.  It's basically the same SBC as the older Rpi4
> but now with more RAM:
>
> https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/issues/94/pdf page 36
>
> https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-8gb-tested
>

> In addition to this, it sounds like Raspbian has been renamed to
> "Raspberry Pi OS" and there is a native 64bit version of it already in
> beta.  While it sounds like this OS will consume more RAM, you WILL see
> better performance on it.  Check out the Tom's Hardware link for some
> examples.
>
> --David
> KI6ZHD

Larry Dighera

Given the likely increased heat generated by the RPi4 8GB version,
this case is a good choice:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZQHXZ6/

Jun-Electron for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Case,
Dual Cooling Fan, Enclosure Aluminum Alloy Case with Heatsink
Pillar
Price: $9.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00

Video:
https://youtu.be/TpXBIYvYtBk?t=73
Raspberry Pi 8GB Review - Should you upgrade?

How To Install & Set Up Raspberry Pi OS - Pi4 Pi3 Pi2
May 30, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y45hsd2AOpw

On Sat, 30 May 2020 16:50:56 -0700, "David Ranch"
<rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I don't know if it was posted here yet but a new Raspberry Pi 4 has been
released with 8GB of RAM. It's basically the same SBC as the older Rpi4
but now with more RAM:

https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/issues/94/pdf page 36

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-8gb-tested

In addition to this, it sounds like Raspbian has been renamed to
"Raspberry Pi OS" and there is a native 64bit version of it already in
beta. While it sounds like this OS will consume more RAM, you WILL see
better performance on it. Check out the Tom's Hardware link for some
examples.

John Spoonhower

I have that case on a raspberry pi 4 currently. It's  a good case as the pi 4 runs hot. However,  it's not clear how  this relates to the additional memory and 64 bit addressing space.
NX2I

On Sun, May 31, 2020, 11:50 AM Larry Dighera <LDighera@...> wrote:

Given the likely increased heat generated by the RPi4 8GB version,
this case is a good choice:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZQHXZ6/

    Jun-Electron for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Case,
    Dual Cooling Fan, Enclosure Aluminum Alloy Case with Heatsink
    Pillar
    Price:      $9.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00

Video:
https://youtu.be/TpXBIYvYtBk?t=73
Raspberry Pi 8GB Review - Should you upgrade?

How To Install & Set Up Raspberry Pi OS - Pi4 Pi3 Pi2
May 30, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y45hsd2AOpw

On Sat, 30 May 2020 16:50:56 -0700, "David Ranch"
<rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

>Hey Everyone,
>
>I don't know if it was posted here yet but a new Raspberry Pi 4 has been
>released with 8GB of RAM.  It's basically the same SBC as the older Rpi4
>but now with more RAM:
>
>    https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/issues/94/pdf page 36
>
>    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-8gb-tested
>

>In addition to this, it sounds like Raspbian has been renamed to
>"Raspberry Pi OS" and there is a native 64bit version of it already in
>beta.  While it sounds like this OS will consume more RAM, you WILL see
>better performance on it.  Check out the Tom's Hardware link for some
>examples.
>
>--David
>KI6ZHD

stephen shearer

one additional upgrade to the OS is the ability to overclock (more) and if overclocked, it will get hotter.
Going 4G to 8G will put RAM at a higher density - hotter?
Even my stock 4G, I use a metal case - heatsink... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZX4NTCN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the finned heatsink with fan, too. I have the version without the fan but thinking was to place with a separate fan "kit"...

73, steve WB3LGC

On 5/31/20 3:16 PM, John Spoonhower wrote:
I have that case on a raspberry pi 4 currently. It's  a good case as the pi 4 runs hot. However,  it's not clear how  this relates to the additional memory and 64 bit addressing space.
NX2I

Larry Dighera

John,

My thought is that more RAM is going to require more current. The 4GB
Pi4 already runs hot. More current means more heat. More heat
requires additional hardware to mitigate it. The case with fan to
which I posted a link is the best currently available IMNSHO, and it
doesn't require any GPIO pins or program to operate, unlike the
Pimaroni FanShim which is also a good cooling option.

Best regards,
Larry
WB6BBB

On Sun, 31 May 2020 15:16:04 -0400, "John Spoonhower"
<jpspoonhower@...> wrote:

However, it's not clear how this relates to the additional memory

David Ranch

I've seen this heat sink and it looks pretty nice.  Without the fan, does it get hot?  If possible, can you get your Rpi temp via:

   $ cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

My 4GB Rpi4 with a small fan comes back with "42842" which is 42 degees C which is OK but fans always eventually fail.  Yes, I know the Rpi will throttle back to protect itself but that's not great either.

On 05/31/2020 02:28 PM, stephen shearer wrote:
one additional upgrade to the OS is the ability to overclock (more) and if overclocked, it will get hotter.
Going 4G to 8G will put RAM at a higher density - hotter?
Even my stock 4G, I use a metal case - heatsink... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZX4NTCN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the finned heatsink with fan, too.  I have the version without the fan but thinking was to place with a separate fan "kit"...

73, steve WB3LGC

On 5/31/20 3:16 PM, John Spoonhower wrote:
I have that case on a raspberry pi 4 currently. It's  a good case as the pi 4 runs hot. However,  it's not clear how  this relates to the additional memory and 64 bit addressing space.
NX2I

N5XMT

easier to get the temp with "vcgencmd measure_temp"

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 6:05 PM David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

[...]

Christopher Rose

Larry, can you repost the link to your fan solution? I may have deleted the email.

Thanks,

Chris

<jpspoonhower@...> wrote:

>However, it's not clear how this relates to the additional memory

Larry Dighera

Yes.

Given the likely increased heat generated by the RPi4 8GB version,
this case is a good choice:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZQHXZ6/

Jun-Electron for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Case,
Dual Cooling Fan, Enclosure Aluminum Alloy Case with Heatsink
Pillar
Price: $9.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00

-----------------------------------------From: "Larry Dighera"

<kb8uih88@...> wrote:

>Larry, can you repost the link to your fan solution? I may have
>deleted the email.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris
>
> -----------------------------------------From: "Larry Dighera"

Roger Reeves M0ROJ

The trouble with these fans is that they are immediately both electrically and physically noisy, or soon become so.
I haven’t found any of those I’ve used to be “silent.”
Has anyone found a fanned cooling system hat that isn’t “noisy?”🤫

Roger M0ROJ

Larry Dighera

My experience with the one I use is very good. I can't tell if the
fans are running without visually observing the blades and/or noting
the temperature in the 30s. Perhaps with a higher ambient temperature
RPM/noise will increase. It seems to be significantly quieter than
the little Pimaroni FanShim and about the same price as I recall.

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 00:38:13 -0700, "Roger Reeves M0ROJ"
<@roj> wrote:

The trouble with these fans is that they are immediately both electrically and physically noisy, or soon become so.
I haven’t found any of those I’ve used to be “silent.”
Has anyone found a fanned cooling system hat that isn’t “noisy?”?

Roger M0ROJ

Larry Dighera

There's a good review video on the subject of 8GB ram usage here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpXBIYvYtBk . The reviewer had to
open an _extremely_ large number of processes before even the 4GB mark
was reached. I'm thinking that putting swap on a ramdisk would be
about the only use I'd find for an 8GB Pi over the 4GB model.

On Sat, 30 May 2020 17:21:36 -0700, "N5XMT" <dacooley@...>
wrote:

Been playing with the 64 bit OS as well. Not really using much more ram than the standard Raspbian does

Mark Griffith

You can always run the fan with 3.3 volts. You'll never hear it and the cooling amount does not decease significantly.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 02:38:23 AM CDT, Roger Reeves M0ROJ <m0roj@...> wrote:

The trouble with these fans is that they are immediately both electrically and physically noisy, or soon become so.
I haven’t found any of those I’ve used to be “silent.”
Has anyone found a fanned cooling system hat that isn’t “noisy?”🤫

Roger M0ROJ

Ron Liekens

Larry, be aware of the awful quality of the bearings of the used fans on this Jun-electro case. Here the first locked up after ony 36 hours of use the second died the next day.

73' Ron
ON2RON

N5XMT

Replace them with Noctua.  Quietest fans I have ever seen, moves a lot of air!  A little pricey, but well worth it!

On Jun 2, 2020, at 06:36, Ron Liekens <r.e.liekens@...> wrote:
Larry, be aware of the awful quality of the bearings of the used fans on this Jun-electro case. Here the first locked up after ony 36 hours of use the second died the next day.

73' Ron
ON2RON

David Ranch

Oh.. this is an important detail Ron.  Thank you.  I was curious how anyone could build a large heat sink and two fans for $10!  They must be using very cheap sleeve-type fans.   For me personally, I refuse to buy anything using sleeve bearings anymore.