Topics

Parts Search

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Does anyone have knowledge of Pi Hat that extends the USB-3 and USB-2 to be on top?

I would like to see both the USB-2 plugs linked to the hat using a solid connector and give me a 4 USB-2 ports along with a link on the USB-3 ports for the same.

Thanks, Ed

David Ranch

Are you looking for this USB connectivity via the 40pin header connector?  If so, there are no USB signals on the 40pin header so that's not possible other than maybe some SPI to USB chip on a HAT board which would be very very slow (way slower than even USB 2.0)

On 04/24/2020 05:47 PM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge of Pi Hat that extends the USB-3 and USB-2 to be on top?

I would like to see both the USB-2 plugs linked to the hat using a solid connector and give me a 4 USB-2 ports along with a link on the USB-3 ports for the same.

Thanks, Ed

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

No, I am looking to use the two USB-2 and USB-3 to carry the signal to the hat.

The is a unit for the Pi Zero but that does not meet my requirements.  The link below to Newegg shows the unit.  In the picture, it shows a hard dog bone connector for power.  It is a dog bone like this for USB that I am hoping to find to link the to the hat.

On 4/24/2020 8:48 PM, David Ranch wrote:

Are you looking for this USB connectivity via the 40pin header connector?  If so, there are no USB signals on the 40pin header so that's not possible other than maybe some SPI to USB chip on a HAT board which would be very very slow (way slower than even USB 2.0)

On 04/24/2020 05:47 PM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge of Pi Hat that extends the USB-3 and USB-2 to be on top?

I would like to see both the USB-2 plugs linked to the hat using a solid connector and give me a 4 USB-2 ports along with a link on the USB-3 ports for the same.

Thanks, Ed

David Ranch

Ah.. ok.  I've seen some HATs that loop USB, HDMI, or the power connection up to the HAT but I haven't seen one for USB3.  Doing some careful searching with:

   raspberry pi 4 +"USB3" hub hat

that turned up a one hit:

   USB3 only:   https://geekworm.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-x180-7-port-stackable-usb3-0-hub-hat-expansion-board

Also.. you might want to search for boards on https://www.tindie.com/browse/raspberry-pi/ as they have a TON of stuff but searching things there can be limited.  Same but somewhat less on etsy.com, Ebay, etc.

On 04/25/2020 06:04 AM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
[...]

THANK YOU!!!!    My Google-fu was not strong.

That gives what I want for the most part.

On 4/25/2020 10:52 AM, David Ranch wrote:

[...]

Bill WA4OPQ

Interesting!  I spent yesterday doing the same search. Unsuccessful as well.

I ended up ordering a six inch M-M cable. It makes a nifty carrying handle, too  :)

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

I have started the request to have the board modified to have BOTH USB2 and USB3 on the hat giving 4-7 additional ports for each.

My need is do to using a keyboard and mouse that are attached along with other parts needed to connect to the radio in following the KM4ACK Build A Pi process.

Ed, KD9FRQ

On 4/26/2020 11:16 PM, Bill WA4OPQ wrote:

Interesting!  I spent yesterday doing the same search. Unsuccessful as well.

I ended up ordering a six inch M-M cable. It makes a nifty carrying handle, too  :)

David Ranch

Hello Ed,

If the developer is interested in creating a new board that includes USB 2.0 support, do make sure they continue to include external power support.

On 04/27/2020 03:36 AM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
I have started the request to have the board modified to have BOTH USB2 and USB3 on the hat giving 4-7 additional ports for each.

My need is do to using a keyboard and mouse that are attached along with other parts needed to connect to the radio in following the KM4ACK Build A Pi process.

Ed, KD9FRQ
On 4/26/2020 11:16 PM, Bill WA4OPQ wrote:

Interesting!  I spent yesterday doing the same search. Unsuccessful as well.

I ended up ordering a six inch M-M cable. It makes a nifty carrying handle, too  :)

Why wouldn't an external hub work?

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:15 AM David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

Hello Ed,

If the developer is interested in creating a new board that includes USB 2.0 support, do make sure they continue to include external power support.

On 04/27/2020 03:36 AM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
I have started the request to have the board modified to have BOTH USB2 and USB3 on the hat giving 4-7 additional ports for each.

My need is do to using a keyboard and mouse that are attached along with other parts needed to connect to the radio in following the KM4ACK Build A Pi process.

Ed, KD9FRQ
On 4/26/2020 11:16 PM, Bill WA4OPQ wrote:

Interesting!  I spent yesterday doing the same search. Unsuccessful as well.

I ended up ordering a six inch M-M cable. It makes a nifty carrying handle, too  :)

Kingston, WA
K7VE