Topics

TNC-Pi9k6 - Teensy Socket or No Socket Preference

Mat Murdock

My name is Mat and I am the one who is running the WVCARC Etsy shop.  For those who have purchased a TNC-Pi9k6 from Costal Chipworks or from us, do you you have a preference as to if the Teensy is in a socket or not?  The Teensy in the Costal Chipworks version was not in a socket, which saves time assembling the kit.  If people don't care I may go that route.  Just looking for community feedback.

Mat
K2MJM

Bill AA6BD

I prefer in a socket.
--
Bill AA6BD

steve.stroh@...

Prefer it socketed.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 20:56 Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
My name is Mat and I am the one who is running the WVCARC Etsy shop.  For those who have purchased a TNC-Pi9k6 from Costal Chipworks or from us, do you you have a preference as to if the Teensy is in a socket or not?  The Teensy in the Costal Chipworks version was not in a socket, which saves time assembling the kit.  If people don't care I may go that route.  Just looking for community feedback.

Mat
K2MJM

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Mark Griffith

Mat,

A socket would be nice, but I think you'll gonna need to decide on the Teensy 3.2 or 3.6.  One socket won't fit both these boards.  The 3.6 would be better since it will support ARDOP once it is available for Linux.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Thursday, April 16, 2020, 10:56:54 PM CDT, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:

My name is Mat and I am the one who is running the WVCARC Etsy shop.  For those who have purchased a TNC-Pi9k6 from Costal Chipworks or from us, do you you have a preference as to if the Teensy is in a socket or not?  The Teensy in the Costal Chipworks version was not in a socket, which saves time assembling the kit.  If people don't care I may go that route.  Just looking for community feedback.

Mat
K2MJM

Bradley Andrews

In the immortal words of Richard M. Nixon (among others) on Laugh-In, "Socket to me! Socket to me! Socket to me!"

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

On Thursday, April 16, 2020, 10:56:53 PM CDT, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:

My name is Mat and I am the one who is running the WVCARC Etsy shop.  For those who have purchased a TNC-Pi9k6 from Costal Chipworks or from us, do you you have a preference as to if the Teensy is in a socket or not?  The Teensy in the Costal Chipworks version was not in a socket, which saves time assembling the kit.  If people don't care I may go that route.  Just looking for community feedback.

Mat
K2MJM

John Wiseman

I prefer sockets and I use the low profile (round pin type). It is then easy enough to make a board that will take either the 3.2 or 3.6 Teensy boards

73,
John G8BPQ

On 17/04/2020 19:43, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I thought about that, but I didn't know they were still available.  :)

Mark
KD0QYN

On Friday, April 17, 2020, 3:10:24 PM CDT, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

[...]

That is what I have been doing.  I just didn't know if people cared.  If they didn't I wasn't going to go to all the trouble of doing it that way.  Sounds like most folks line the socketed approach, so I will stick with that.

Mat

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020, 2:10 PM John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
[...]

Brad Thompson

Bradley Andrews via groups.io wrote on 4/17/2020 2:53 PM:

In the immortal words of Richard M. Nixon (among others) on Laugh-In, "Socket to me! Socket to me! Socket to me!"

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)
<snip>

Hello--

Neither could I:

It may be a tunnel diode to you, but it's an Esaki to me. <g>

73--

Brad  AA1IP

John Wiseman

Mat,

Which version of the board are you basing your design on?

73,
John G8BPQ