Cannot currently show the desktop

KK4JOW

I have loaded a few sd cards with the KM4ACK pi build and some with the W3DJS image. I set them all up using an ethernet connection and an hdmi connection. All goes well. I VNC into them and I can see the desktop on my computer or tablet. I shut down with no problems. When I disconnect the hdmi as well as the ethernet and try to just connect through VNC, I see the message "cannot currently show the desktop". What would be the display resolution that I need? I have tried a few different resolutions and when hdmi is plugged in my tablet sees the desktop. Without hdmi plugged in, no desktop. I know VNC is connecting to the pi but not able to display the desktop. Is there a different way to set screen resolutions other than from the configuration menu?
Any suggestions, please???

Terry Morris

Did you ssh from the host computer to the Pi before activating VNC?

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH USA EN91hd
Linux User# 412308, Ubuntu User# 34905, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, QRP-ARCI#8855, SKCC#14195

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 12:42 PM Diane Brzeski <KK4JOW@...> wrote:
I have loaded a few sd cards with the KM4ACK pi build and some with the W3DJS image. I set them all up using an ethernet connection and an hdmi connection. All goes well. I VNC into them and I can see the desktop on my computer or tablet. I shut down with no problems. When I disconnect the hdmi as well as the ethernet and try to just connect through VNC, I see the message "cannot currently show the desktop". What would be the display resolution that I need? I have tried a few different resolutions and when hdmi is plugged in my tablet sees the desktop. Without hdmi plugged in, no desktop. I know VNC is connecting to the pi but not able to display the desktop. Is there a different way to set screen resolutions other than from the configuration menu?
Any suggestions, please???

N3RDR

You said disconnect HDMI and Ethernet. VNC needs the Ethernet connected if you are not using WiFi and is in the same network as the place you want to connect from.

Sent from my 📲

On Feb 25, 2020, at 12:42 PM, Diane Brzeski <KK4JOW@...> wrote:

I have loaded a few sd cards with the KM4ACK pi build and some with the W3DJS image. I set them all up using an ethernet connection and an hdmi connection. All goes well. I VNC into them and I can see the desktop on my computer or tablet. I shut down with no problems. When I disconnect the hdmi as well as the ethernet and try to just connect through VNC, I see the message "cannot currently show the desktop". What would be the display resolution that I need? I have tried a few different resolutions and when hdmi is plugged in my tablet sees the desktop. Without hdmi plugged in, no desktop. I know VNC is connecting to the pi but not able to display the desktop. Is there a different way to set screen resolutions other than from the configuration menu?
Any suggestions, please???

KK4JOW

I am using WiFi

On Feb 25, 2020, at 9:49 PM, KC3CCD <kc3ccd@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian

Diane,

edit
/boot/config.txt
and add
framebuffer_width=1900
framebuffer_height=1024

without the hdmi connected you need to set a size suitable for your screen.

Regards,
Ian..

daniel boggiano

I had to change the screw resolution to get it to show.

try that.

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>

On 2/25/20 12:42 PM, Diane Brzeski wrote:
I have loaded a few sd cards with the KM4ACK pi build and some with the W3DJS image. I set them all up using an ethernet connection and an hdmi connection. All goes well. I VNC into them and I can see the desktop on my computer or tablet. I shut down with no problems. When I disconnect the hdmi as well as the ethernet and try to just connect through VNC, I see the message "cannot currently show the desktop". What would be the display resolution that I need? I have tried a few different resolutions and when hdmi is plugged in my tablet sees the desktop. Without hdmi plugged in, no desktop. I know VNC is connecting to the pi but not able to display the desktop. Is there a different way to set screen resolutions other than from the configuration menu?
Any suggestions, please???
 I have the same issue.
I leave a monitor connected and powered.

Art Olson

I had the same problem but found a fix on line

Open a terminal session via ssh
Enter - sudo raspi-config
Select A7 Advance Options
Select A8 GL Driver
Select G1 - legacy
Select ok

Next step
Select A7 Advance Options
Select A5 Resolution
Select any resolution other than default (whatever fits your computer
monitor screen resolution
Select ok
Tab to Finish
Reboot