Topics

Now that coastal Chipworks is gone

David Ranch
 


I thought the PIC source code and resulting HEX binaries were freely available on Coastal Chipworks's website.  No?

--David
KI6ZHD


On 04/21/2020 08:38 AM, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:


Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

John
 

No problem, Mark.  I think it was good to have this clarified.  I probably should have been clearer about this from the beginning.

John W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My mistake.  Thanks for the correction.  I'm wrong once in awhile.  :)

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 10:54:59 AM CDT, John <coastalchip@...> wrote:


It is not accurate that MFJ bought the code.  The code belongs to John Wiseman, who, as far as I know, has been willing to provide it to folks who asked.  MFJ also makes the TNC-X, but when I wrote that code I actually had a file with it that said the code was being released under the free BSD license.  To this day the code can be found here:


The code is not only publicly available, but it is thoroughly commented to make it more understandable.  John Wiseman started with that code when creating the TNC-Pi code.  The reason to bring MFJ into this was to make sure that it would continue to be made available after I stopped producing TNC-Pi's.

John Hansen W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:


Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

Mark Griffith
 

My mistake.  Thanks for the correction.  I'm wrong once in awhile.  :)

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 10:54:59 AM CDT, John <coastalchip@...> wrote:


It is not accurate that MFJ bought the code.  The code belongs to John Wiseman, who, as far as I know, has been willing to provide it to folks who asked.  MFJ also makes the TNC-X, but when I wrote that code I actually had a file with it that said the code was being released under the free BSD license.  To this day the code can be found here:


The code is not only publicly available, but it is thoroughly commented to make it more understandable.  John Wiseman started with that code when creating the TNC-Pi code.  The reason to bring MFJ into this was to make sure that it would continue to be made available after I stopped producing TNC-Pi's.

John Hansen W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:


Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

N3RDR
 

What is the latest version available for the 9600 version and the original 1200 only (I venture to say mine is a TNC2 since the board says 2.3)? I reprogrammed to ARDOP when it was still a beta and I’m sure I need an update, particularly after reading the PiGate 2.0 documentation.

Carlos
N3RDR

On Apr 21, 2020, at 12:47 PM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

The TNC-Pi code is open source. I wroteit, based on John's open source TNC-X code.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 21/04/2020 16:38, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:


Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!


Willem Schreuder
 

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020, John Wiseman wrote:

The TNC-Pi code is open source. I wroteit, based on John's open source TNC-X code.
Thank you for doing it that way.

================================================================
Dr. Willem A. Schreuder, President, Principia Mathematica
Address: 445 Union Blvd, Suite 230, Lakewood, CO 80228, USA
Tel: (303) 716-3573 Fax: (303) 716-3575
WWW: www.prinmath.com Email: Willem.Schreuder@...

John Wiseman
 

The TNC-Pi code is open source. I wroteit, based on John's open source TNC-X code.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 21/04/2020 16:38, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:


Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

John
 

It is not accurate that MFJ bought the code.  The code belongs to John Wiseman, who, as far as I know, has been willing to provide it to folks who asked.  MFJ also makes the TNC-X, but when I wrote that code I actually had a file with it that said the code was being released under the free BSD license.  To this day the code can be found here:


The code is not only publicly available, but it is thoroughly commented to make it more understandable.  John Wiseman started with that code when creating the TNC-Pi code.  The reason to bring MFJ into this was to make sure that it would continue to be made available after I stopped producing TNC-Pi's.

John Hansen W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:


Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

Mark Griffith
 

Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:


Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

Dean Smith
 

Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

Dan Dicke
 

John, So maybe mid-June we may see a product available for us out here in the real world? hehe

Dan


On Feb 3, 2020, at 6:19 AM, John <coastalchip@...> wrote:

Hi,

Let me clarify a few things... The new TNc-pi will have the same footprint as the old one and will have the same 40 pin header.  It is essentially the same product.  The main difference is that it will be mostly surface mount parts to facilitate manufacturing.  

I am currently in Cozumel but before I left I completed the PC board design and sent it off to China to get prototypes.  I thought I did that soon enough to beat Chinese New year, but I guess everyone else was doing the same thing.  They should arrive by the time I return to NY in mid February.  At that point I will build a couple of units and test them to make sure the board design is solid.   Then they can be released to manufacturing.

John W2FS

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020, 5:17 AM Mark Griffith via Groups.Io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John, you are, of course, correct.  My mistake.

Mark

On Monday, February 3, 2020, 3:01:43 AM CST, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:


Actually it is the modem chip, not the PIC, that is the problem. I can provide Gerber files for my version of the board and the software for the PIC but without the modem chip there isn't much point.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 03/02/2020 01:42, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
All the TNC-Pi2 kits and completed boards are gone for good.  Unless you can find someone who is willing to sell you two of theirs, they are no longer available.  One of the nail in the coffin issues was the PIC chip that was programmed with the KISS software is no longer available, so this prevents anyone else from taking up where John left off.

However, work is being done to have MFJ start building and selling them, but in a slightly different format.  One of the last things John Hansen did was redesign the board to use newer chips and make them all surface mounted.  This was to make is easier to automate manufacture.

This means, no more kits.  *IF* MFJ decides to go with this, they will all be assembled and tested.  I say *IF* because John has submitted his design to MFJ but they have not yet said if they will take up building the boards.

I'm hopeful that they will start soon.  Until then, all we can do is wait.

I have experimented with Direwolf, and while it is easy to get configured, and it does work pretty well, I have found it to be unreliable and needs to be restarted or the Raspberry Pi rebooted frequently or Direwolf will just hang.  Perhaps there is more testing I can do to figure this out, but for now I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the new TNC-Pi.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 7:04:52 PM CST, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:


Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded?  I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone






Paul k9mv
 

I believe the modem chip is available as SMD (SOIC) from DigiKey (MX614DW for $10.54).  It should work with a DIP-SMD adapter from Proto Supplies.  Not an elegant solution, but it might work.
73,
Paul  K9MV

JJ
 

yup, most of our nodes and aprs in the maritimes are using the mfj-1274/mfj-1270 TNC's...I know our MARCAN infrastructure has been around and working for even longer than that..

With the one kpc3 plus that I had, I also had to run it in tnc mode, not kiss, and that very much limited the programs I wanted to integrate with it..

Tried the CTS mod, and thought it was fine, however, it misbehaved a few hours later..never put it back into kiss mode again...

On 2020-02-03 11:50 a.m., Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:
JJ, nobody in Ventura County uses KISS mode and that is why we have had ours system set up since late 90’s with KPC3 

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 3, 2020, at 01:44, JJ <ve1jot@...> wrote:



The hardware TNC route is a valid, but outdated route..nice point is that a TNC can just do packet "standalone" with no computer needed to run it once set up, and the kpc3 only draws a bit of current...in fact, it will run quite a while from a 9v battery after shutting the LEDs off...

BUT the KPC3 and KPC3+ have a serious firmware bug...if the internal buffer fills, it gets out-of-sequence packets in Kiss mode, this is especially bad on APRS, causing your position to jump around...

"if you happen to have a Kantronics KPC-3+ TNC, please do not use it for your APRS igate. It appears to have a software bug which causes delays of over 10 minutes when receiving packets from the radio and then forwarding them to the computer, which then forwards them to the Internet (or possibly retransmits the old packets back to the radio channel, if digipeating).

This is a very bad thing to do, as the greatly delayed packets cause network overload and make moving vehicles jump back and forth between their current positions and the past positions. Looks very funny when aprs.fi tries to draw a track line between the received positions.

For years there have been anecdotal stories and suggestions about a possible problem. Yesterday Alan (radionerd1) has uploaded three videos to Youtube demonstrating the problem. This serves as a nice technical proof that the problem is real, and demonstrably a problem of the KPC-3+. There have been hints that the bug could be in UI-View32 (when using it with the KPC-3+), but Alan demonstrated the problem without involving UI-View."

origin: https://packet-radio.net/kantronics-kpc3-kiss-considered-harmful/

On 2/3/20 2:48 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
 I already have $160 KPC3 tnc. I stay with the tnc pi at $40
You don't get GPS, real time, and two 9600 baud ports with the 20+
year old KPC.  Not to mention the ease of running the latest and
greatest software.   How's the FEC FX-25 working these days on the
KPC?

Our real problem is still finding a radio good for 9600 or even 19,200
for a reasonable price.

Bill



David Ranch
 


Hello Bill,

Your packet-radio.net link refers to http://blog.aprs.fi/2011/03/kantronics-kpc3-considered-harmful.html which I've read before.  If you read the comments in that post, there is mention of a simple RS232 flow-control work around.  Have you or anyone else on the list implemented that to confirm it addresses the issue?

--David
KI6ZHD


On 02/03/2020 01:44 AM, JJ wrote:

The hardware TNC route is a valid, but outdated route..nice point is that a TNC can just do packet "standalone" with no computer needed to run it once set up, and the kpc3 only draws a bit of current...in fact, it will run quite a while from a 9v battery after shutting the LEDs off...

BUT the KPC3 and KPC3+ have a serious firmware bug...if the internal buffer fills, it gets out-of-sequence packets in Kiss mode, this is especially bad on APRS, causing your position to jump around...

"if you happen to have a Kantronics KPC-3+ TNC, please do not use it for your APRS igate. It appears to have a software bug which causes delays of over 10 minutes when receiving packets from the radio and then forwarding them to the computer, which then forwards them to the Internet (or possibly retransmits the old packets back to the radio channel, if digipeating).

This is a very bad thing to do, as the greatly delayed packets cause network overload and make moving vehicles jump back and forth between their current positions and the past positions. Looks very funny when aprs.fi tries to draw a track line between the received positions.

For years there have been anecdotal stories and suggestions about a possible problem. Yesterday Alan (radionerd1) has uploaded three videos to Youtube demonstrating the problem. This serves as a nice technical proof that the problem is real, and demonstrably a problem of the KPC-3+. There have been hints that the bug could be in UI-View32 (when using it with the KPC-3+), but Alan demonstrated the problem without involving UI-View."

origin: https://packet-radio.net/kantronics-kpc3-kiss-considered-harmful/



Dan Dicke
 

JJ, nobody in Ventura County uses KISS mode and that is why we have had ours system set up since late 90’s with KPC3 

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 3, 2020, at 01:44, JJ <ve1jot@...> wrote:



The hardware TNC route is a valid, but outdated route..nice point is that a TNC can just do packet "standalone" with no computer needed to run it once set up, and the kpc3 only draws a bit of current...in fact, it will run quite a while from a 9v battery after shutting the LEDs off...

BUT the KPC3 and KPC3+ have a serious firmware bug...if the internal buffer fills, it gets out-of-sequence packets in Kiss mode, this is especially bad on APRS, causing your position to jump around...

"if you happen to have a Kantronics KPC-3+ TNC, please do not use it for your APRS igate. It appears to have a software bug which causes delays of over 10 minutes when receiving packets from the radio and then forwarding them to the computer, which then forwards them to the Internet (or possibly retransmits the old packets back to the radio channel, if digipeating).

This is a very bad thing to do, as the greatly delayed packets cause network overload and make moving vehicles jump back and forth between their current positions and the past positions. Looks very funny when aprs.fi tries to draw a track line between the received positions.

For years there have been anecdotal stories and suggestions about a possible problem. Yesterday Alan (radionerd1) has uploaded three videos to Youtube demonstrating the problem. This serves as a nice technical proof that the problem is real, and demonstrably a problem of the KPC-3+. There have been hints that the bug could be in UI-View32 (when using it with the KPC-3+), but Alan demonstrated the problem without involving UI-View."

origin: https://packet-radio.net/kantronics-kpc3-kiss-considered-harmful/

On 2/3/20 2:48 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
 I already have $160 KPC3 tnc. I stay with the tnc pi at $40
You don't get GPS, real time, and two 9600 baud ports with the 20+
year old KPC.  Not to mention the ease of running the latest and
greatest software.   How's the FEC FX-25 working these days on the
KPC?

Our real problem is still finding a radio good for 9600 or even 19,200
for a reasonable price.

Bill



Dan Dicke
 

Bill, the problem is no radio out there for 9600 so it doesn’t matter! Not replacing 40+ KPC3 tnc’s! And not replacing 40+ radios with a 9600 useable radio!

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 2, 2020, at 22:48, Bill Vodall <@wa7nwp> wrote:



I already have $160 KPC3 tnc. I stay with the tnc pi at $40
You don't get GPS, real time, and two 9600 baud ports with the 20+
year old KPC. Not to mention the ease of running the latest and
greatest software. How's the FEC FX-25 working these days on the
KPC?

Our real problem is still finding a radio good for 9600 or even 19,200
for a reasonable price.

Bill


Mat Murdock
 

That is true, I will update the description.  We have been using the 3.2 as there has been no interested in ARDOP in the area, however the boards of course do support having a 3.6 teensy mounted to them.

Mat


On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 3:25 AM Mark Griffith via Groups.Io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I should also point out that the Teensy 3.2 that is shipped with the WVARC boards works fine with 9600 baud packet, but is unable to run ARDOP mode.  This requires a Teensy 3.6.  There is also a new Teensy 4.0 board which has much more capability, so it would be interesting to see what else could be done with this configuration.  It's only limited by the software that could be uploaded.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Monday, February 3, 2020, 4:14:58 AM CST, Mark Griffith <mdgriffith2003@...> wrote:


I would rather see more interest in this board than the DRAWS HAT, or the TARPN board.  Not that these are not any good, just that they are not plugin compatible with the TNC-Pi2 and some of the more used software, like APRS, PiGate, Pat, and so on.

Anyone can build your own TNC-Pi9k6.  All files are downloadable from John Wiseman's web site, but you will get more information on the sites Mat links to below.  These are drop in replacements for the TNC-Pi2, but you also get 9600 baud and ARDOP capability.  Software to use the ARDOP mode is not yet available for Linux or Raspbian.  That is being worked on.  Any software that works with the TNC-Pi will work with these without any modification.

When John Hansen sold these, they were preconfigured for 9600 baud.  There is a little bit more to setting them up as you need to load an Arduino software loader onto your Windows PC, and use that to load the appropriate software file to the Teensy on the TNC board (TNC mode or ARDOP mode).

Software updates are easy as they are loaded in the same manner.  If anyone other than John Wiseman wants to look at the C code for the software to make any improvements, that would be useful.  I'd do it myself since I learned C years ago, but I spend enough of my time on the PiGate software and I have other projects that need attention.  The software is a C version of the old soundmodem software so the hardware is only there to support the Teensy and provide some circuitry to interface with the radio TX and RX audio and PTT.

The PiGate 2.0 software can automatically switch the TNC-Pi9k6 from 1200 baud to 9600 baud mode, although the radio itself must be manually switched to the different packet speed.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 10:07:21 PM CST, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:


Our Club has been selling the original design of the TNC-Pi9k6 to club members for a couple of a couple of years now.  With Coastal ChipWorks (sad) closing up shop and to help with logistics we have setup an online shop for the group.  We use the profits to fund the club instead of dues.

Anyway, here is the shop.


Resources

Mat Murdock
K2MJM 

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 8:19 PM Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
The TARPN group would like to make an I2C TNC.  If we do it will not be a hat or compatible with TNC-PI i2c.  But it will have multiple baud rates, forward error correction, switch-controlled i2c address, and LEDs to make it obvious what is happening.
TARPN’s point is to use packet-radio to make a fun off-the-grid social-media
experience attractive to young hams, makers, and preppers.

Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

> On Feb 2, 2020, at 10:12 PM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format, especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.
>
> Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be fairly doable.
>
> Michael WA7SKG
>
>
> Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:
>> Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
>> https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
>> Our packet group decided to make our own. http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
>> we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.
>> Tadd --- Sent from Planet X
>>>> On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> 
>>> I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.
>>>
>>> Doug VE1ZG

John
 

Hi,

Let me clarify a few things... The new TNc-pi will have the same footprint as the old one and will have the same 40 pin header.  It is essentially the same product.  The main difference is that it will be mostly surface mount parts to facilitate manufacturing.  

I am currently in Cozumel but before I left I completed the PC board design and sent it off to China to get prototypes.  I thought I did that soon enough to beat Chinese New year, but I guess everyone else was doing the same thing.  They should arrive by the time I return to NY in mid February.  At that point I will build a couple of units and test them to make sure the board design is solid.   Then they can be released to manufacturing.

John W2FS

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020, 5:17 AM Mark Griffith via Groups.Io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John, you are, of course, correct.  My mistake.

Mark

On Monday, February 3, 2020, 3:01:43 AM CST, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:


Actually it is the modem chip, not the PIC, that is the problem. I can provide Gerber files for my version of the board and the software for the PIC but without the modem chip there isn't much point.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 03/02/2020 01:42, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
All the TNC-Pi2 kits and completed boards are gone for good.  Unless you can find someone who is willing to sell you two of theirs, they are no longer available.  One of the nail in the coffin issues was the PIC chip that was programmed with the KISS software is no longer available, so this prevents anyone else from taking up where John left off.

However, work is being done to have MFJ start building and selling them, but in a slightly different format.  One of the last things John Hansen did was redesign the board to use newer chips and make them all surface mounted.  This was to make is easier to automate manufacture.

This means, no more kits.  *IF* MFJ decides to go with this, they will all be assembled and tested.  I say *IF* because John has submitted his design to MFJ but they have not yet said if they will take up building the boards.

I'm hopeful that they will start soon.  Until then, all we can do is wait.

I have experimented with Direwolf, and while it is easy to get configured, and it does work pretty well, I have found it to be unreliable and needs to be restarted or the Raspberry Pi rebooted frequently or Direwolf will just hang.  Perhaps there is more testing I can do to figure this out, but for now I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the new TNC-Pi.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 7:04:52 PM CST, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:


Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded?  I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone



Mike Lussier
 

Dan,
I have three TNC Pi sitting here not doing anything. If you are interested $20 each $60 plus postal priority shipping 7.65.


Mike AE4ML

John Wiseman
 

The problem with the Teensy 4 is that it doesn't have an onboard DAC, so you also need to add an i2s audio interface, then it is getting a bit complicated and you might just as well add the audio interface to the Pi and ron soundcard modes.

BTW, I'm working on a port of UZ7HO's Soundmodem to Linux

73,
John

On 03/02/2020 10:25, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
I should also point out that the Teensy 3.2 that is shipped with the WVARC boards works fine with 9600 baud packet, but is unable to run ARDOP mode.  This requires a Teensy 3.6.  There is also a new Teensy 4.0 board which has much more capability, so it would be interesting to see what else could be done with this configuration.  It's only limited by the software that could be uploaded.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Monday, February 3, 2020, 4:14:58 AM CST, Mark Griffith <mdgriffith2003@...> wrote:


I would rather see more interest in this board than the DRAWS HAT, or the TARPN board.  Not that these are not any good, just that they are not plugin compatible with the TNC-Pi2 and some of the more used software, like APRS, PiGate, Pat, and so on.

Anyone can build your own TNC-Pi9k6.  All files are downloadable from John Wiseman's web site, but you will get more information on the sites Mat links to below.  These are drop in replacements for the TNC-Pi2, but you also get 9600 baud and ARDOP capability.  Software to use the ARDOP mode is not yet available for Linux or Raspbian.  That is being worked on.  Any software that works with the TNC-Pi will work with these without any modification.

When John Hansen sold these, they were preconfigured for 9600 baud.  There is a little bit more to setting them up as you need to load an Arduino software loader onto your Windows PC, and use that to load the appropriate software file to the Teensy on the TNC board (TNC mode or ARDOP mode).

Software updates are easy as they are loaded in the same manner.  If anyone other than John Wiseman wants to look at the C code for the software to make any improvements, that would be useful.  I'd do it myself since I learned C years ago, but I spend enough of my time on the PiGate software and I have other projects that need attention.  The software is a C version of the old soundmodem software so the hardware is only there to support the Teensy and provide some circuitry to interface with the radio TX and RX audio and PTT.

The PiGate 2.0 software can automatically switch the TNC-Pi9k6 from 1200 baud to 9600 baud mode, although the radio itself must be manually switched to the different packet speed.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 10:07:21 PM CST, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:


Our Club has been selling the original design of the TNC-Pi9k6 to club members for a couple of a couple of years now.  With Coastal ChipWorks (sad) closing up shop and to help with logistics we have setup an online shop for the group.  We use the profits to fund the club instead of dues.

Anyway, here is the shop.


Resources

Mat Murdock
K2MJM 

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 8:19 PM Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
The TARPN group would like to make an I2C TNC.  If we do it will not be a hat or compatible with TNC-PI i2c.  But it will have multiple baud rates, forward error correction, switch-controlled i2c address, and LEDs to make it obvious what is happening.
TARPN’s point is to use packet-radio to make a fun off-the-grid social-media
experience attractive to young hams, makers, and preppers.

Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

> On Feb 2, 2020, at 10:12 PM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format, especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.
>
> Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be fairly doable.
>
> Michael WA7SKG
>
>
> Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:
>> Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
>> https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
>> Our packet group decided to make our own. http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
>> we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.
>> Tadd --- Sent from Planet X
>>>> On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> 
>>> I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.
>>>
>>> Doug VE1ZG

Mark Griffith
 

I should also point out that the Teensy 3.2 that is shipped with the WVARC boards works fine with 9600 baud packet, but is unable to run ARDOP mode.  This requires a Teensy 3.6.  There is also a new Teensy 4.0 board which has much more capability, so it would be interesting to see what else could be done with this configuration.  It's only limited by the software that could be uploaded.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Monday, February 3, 2020, 4:14:58 AM CST, Mark Griffith <mdgriffith2003@...> wrote:


I would rather see more interest in this board than the DRAWS HAT, or the TARPN board.  Not that these are not any good, just that they are not plugin compatible with the TNC-Pi2 and some of the more used software, like APRS, PiGate, Pat, and so on.

Anyone can build your own TNC-Pi9k6.  All files are downloadable from John Wiseman's web site, but you will get more information on the sites Mat links to below.  These are drop in replacements for the TNC-Pi2, but you also get 9600 baud and ARDOP capability.  Software to use the ARDOP mode is not yet available for Linux or Raspbian.  That is being worked on.  Any software that works with the TNC-Pi will work with these without any modification.

When John Hansen sold these, they were preconfigured for 9600 baud.  There is a little bit more to setting them up as you need to load an Arduino software loader onto your Windows PC, and use that to load the appropriate software file to the Teensy on the TNC board (TNC mode or ARDOP mode).

Software updates are easy as they are loaded in the same manner.  If anyone other than John Wiseman wants to look at the C code for the software to make any improvements, that would be useful.  I'd do it myself since I learned C years ago, but I spend enough of my time on the PiGate software and I have other projects that need attention.  The software is a C version of the old soundmodem software so the hardware is only there to support the Teensy and provide some circuitry to interface with the radio TX and RX audio and PTT.

The PiGate 2.0 software can automatically switch the TNC-Pi9k6 from 1200 baud to 9600 baud mode, although the radio itself must be manually switched to the different packet speed.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 10:07:21 PM CST, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:


Our Club has been selling the original design of the TNC-Pi9k6 to club members for a couple of a couple of years now.  With Coastal ChipWorks (sad) closing up shop and to help with logistics we have setup an online shop for the group.  We use the profits to fund the club instead of dues.

Anyway, here is the shop.


Resources

Mat Murdock
K2MJM 

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 8:19 PM Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
The TARPN group would like to make an I2C TNC.  If we do it will not be a hat or compatible with TNC-PI i2c.  But it will have multiple baud rates, forward error correction, switch-controlled i2c address, and LEDs to make it obvious what is happening.
TARPN’s point is to use packet-radio to make a fun off-the-grid social-media
experience attractive to young hams, makers, and preppers.

Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

> On Feb 2, 2020, at 10:12 PM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format, especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.
>
> Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be fairly doable.
>
> Michael WA7SKG
>
>
> Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:
>> Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
>> https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
>> Our packet group decided to make our own. http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
>> we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.
>> Tadd --- Sent from Planet X
>>>> On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> 
>>> I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.
>>>
>>> Doug VE1ZG