Topics

Still having a problem, please help

KK4JOW

So, Im brand new at Raspberry Pi. I have been trying to install the W3 DJS on my new Pi. I've flashed a 32gb sd card with the img file and I get no response from the Pi.
Since my Pi has never been initialized, can I install the Raspbian Blaster to see if that starts it up or do I have to start with the W3DJS img.
I guess what I'm asking is that if you install one operating system can you pull that card and put a different sd card in?
Again, I'm brand new at this so please excuse my ignorance.

Yes, you can swap images.

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>

On 1/28/20 10:48 AM, kk4jow@... wrote:
So, Im brand new at Raspberry Pi. I have been trying to install the W3 DJS on my new Pi. I've flashed a 32gb sd card with the img file and I get no response from the Pi.
Since my Pi has never been initialized, can I install the Raspbian Blaster to see if that starts it up or do I have to start with the W3DJS img.
I guess what I'm asking is that if you install one operating system can you pull that card and put a different sd card in?
Again, I'm brand new at this so please excuse my ignorance.

You are excused.
Please detail how you 'flashed' your SD card so that we have a clue that you actually put the 'image' on the card and not just the file.
I do not think that there is a 'initialize' regarding a RPi.
The operating system image is 'installed/flashed/burned,dd'ed but not copied' on the SD card, then SD card is inserted into the RPi, then power is applied to the RPi.
I think you mean Raspbian Buster, not Blaster.
Reference: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
The 'NOOBS' image offers several options, but yes, you can start with any of Raspbian Buster, NOOBS, or the W3DJS images.
I have many SD cards. Many with a distinct mission when booted.
I hope this helps,
Chuck

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>

On 1/28/20 10:48 AM, @KK4JOW wrote:
So, Im brand new at Raspberry Pi. I have been trying to install the W3 DJS on my new Pi. I've flashed a 32gb sd card with the img file and I get no response from the Pi.
Since my Pi has never been initialized, can I install the Raspbian Blaster to see if that starts it up or do I have to start with the W3DJS img.
I guess what I'm asking is that if you install one operating system can you pull that card and put a different sd card in?
Again, I'm brand new at this so please excuse my ignorance.
The SD card gets 'initialized' when 1st booted.
Actually, it can get re-partitioned.

Diane,
   One thing unstated which may be obvious or not…

Typically the SDcard is the ONLY file system device on the Raspberry PI.
The Raspberry PI boots from the SDcard and keeps files on the card.  When the card is unplugged the Raspberry PI would have no device to boot from.  It doesn’t copy data from the SDcard to someplace else.  The SDcard is it.

So… if you put Raspbian OS on the card and boot the PI from it, and then swap to another SDcard which does not have Raspbian, the Raspberry PI will completely forget about Raspbian OS.  The Raspberry PI without the SDcard is only part of a computer.
Consider that the SDcard has the same function as a Hard disk in a desktop PC.

Floppy disk/transport function is provided by putting a USB flash drive into one of the USB ports.
I suspect it is possible to plug in a SDcard reader/writer into USB to give you access to a 2nd card.  I’ve never heard of anybody doing that though.

What I do is boot Raspbian and then contact my desktop computer or laptop over the WiFi or Ethernet interfaces.  It’s easy to use SFTP file transfer to and from the Raspberry PI.  SFTP server is built into Raspbian and other Linux OSs.
Ask about SFTP for more info if you need it.  It’s pretty easy.

  Tadd

Tadd / KA2DEW
tadd@...
Raleigh NC  FM05pv

North Carolina Off-The-Grid Social Network: http://ncpacket.net/north_carolina_packet_network.html
Packet networking over ham radio: http://tarpn.net/t/packet_radio_networking.html
Local Raleigh ham radio info: http://torborg.com/a

On Jan 28, 2020, at 11:21 AM, chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...> wrote:

On 1/28/20 10:48 AM, kk4jow@... wrote:
So, Im brand new at Raspberry Pi. I have been trying to install the W3 DJS on my new Pi. I've flashed a 32gb sd card with the img file and I get no response from the Pi.
Since my Pi has never been initialized, can I install the Raspbian Blaster to see if that starts it up or do I have to start with the W3DJS img.
I guess what I'm asking is that if you install one operating system can you pull that card and put a different sd card in?
Again, I'm brand new at this so please excuse my ignorance.

The SD card gets 'initialized' when 1st booted.
Actually, it can get re-partitioned.

KK4JOW

Ok, I have it running. It seems that the TV I was using for a monitor wasn't connecting so I hooked it to another tv and it's working. I couldn't get my wireless mouse or keyboard to work so I set up a VNC connection and got on with no problem. I am now trying to set up wifi and it tells me it can't connect to wpa supplicant. Its not remembering my Wifi Country setting. Any suggestions?

Mark Griffith

My suggestion is start off with a brand new copy of the Raspbian Buster download.  This is much easier than trying to fix something that is already busted.

Don't do the NOOBS stuff.  Download whatever one of the choices you want.  Or download them all and try the different versions to see what you like.

Copy it to a CLASS 10 SD card of at least 8GB.  Don't scrimp on the card.  A class 10 will give you years of use.  If you want to use a bigger SD card, like a 32 or 64GB, this is the time to do that.  Don't worry that the image is much smaller than the SD card size.

Connect a good HDMI monitor or TV with an HDMI input, and connect a USB keyboard and mouse.  A wireless USB keyboard/mouse combo works good.

Now, not before this, but now, power it on.  Then follow the initial setup screens and you will be all set.

If you want ham apps on there, install them one at a time.  It's easy to do.

Mark
KD0QYN

On 1/28/20 1:28 PM, @KK4JOW wrote:
I am now trying to set up wifi and it tells me it can't connect to wpa supplicant. Its not remembering my Wifi Country setting. Any suggestions?
sudo raspi-config
and set up localization options and WiFi.

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>

On 1/28/20 1:39 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Don't do the NOOBS stuff.
Salt to taste.
I usually do NOOBS as it allows me to put '/' on a HD or SSHD.
Then the SD card is read only (/boot) and should last forever.
;-)

David

Yes use a different card for what you want to do. Just power down and swap cards and power up.
Just make notes on what you do for each card.
David
Ka4kkf

--
David
KA4KKF

KK4JOW

Yay!!!! So, Ive worked it all out and I am up and running.
My first problem was with the hotspot and I followed some posters suggestions but failed at each. Finally I found a post from Dave W3DJS himself and it worked!!! Here is what he said:
 Dave Slotter, W3DJS
11/18/19

To remove the auto Wi-Fi hotspot, do these two steps on the Raspberry Pi console:

sudo systemctl disable autohotspot.service
In the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file remove the line that was added ("sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf"):

nohook wpa_supplicant
That's it as far as removing it. You can now run sudo raspi-config and select 2: Network Options, followed by N2: Wi-Fi and enter in your WiFi SSID and passphrase.

Hope this helps. (Next image I create won't have the auto-hotspot feature enabled -- it's created too much confusion.)

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

It worked perfectly!!
I then had a problem with not being able to get it to run without a monitor, just using VNC Viewer. It kept on telling me that it couldn't display the desktop. Easy fix once i went back into raspi-config and changed the display size.
I just set up my gps and sound card and going to hook my rig up for some FT8.
My biggest lesson was not backing up after each change. If I had from the beginning, i would have saved myself a lot of work.
To all who answered me, thanks so much for your help. I look forward to meeting you on the air.

Diane
KK4JOW