Topics

Rpi 4 WiFi issues

Dan Dicke

Ok I have two raspberry pi 4b’s. I get WiFi at times and then if I want to change the WiFi I’m using sometimes it does and sometimes it won’t change or says WIFI STOPPED!

Sometimes when I reboot it will start working. Right neither one wants to see any of my many WiFi’s right now it says No wireless interfaces found and if I stay hovered on the WiFi icon it will then say eth0 is down which it is disconnected
And wlan0: STOPPED

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

David Ranch

On 01/18/2020 03:56 PM, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:
Ok I have two raspberry pi 4b’s. I get WiFi at times and then if I want to change the WiFi I’m using sometimes it does and sometimes it won’t change or says WIFI STOPPED!

Sometimes when I reboot it will start working. Right neither one wants to see any of my many WiFi’s right now it says No wireless interfaces found and if I stay hovered on the WiFi icon it will then say eth0 is down which it is disconnected
And wlan0: STOPPED

Strange.  Are your Rpi's fully up to date (up to date Raspbian,firmware, etc)?  Next, what do the following commands show on your system when things are broke:

   sudo systemctl status sys-subsystem-net-devices-wlan0.device

I see:
  --
  ● sys-subsystem-net-devices-wlan0.device - /sys/subsystem/net/devices/wlan0
   Loaded: loaded

Maybe there are some useful details in the journal.  Try the command:

   sudo journalctl -u sys-subsystem-net-devices-wlan0.device

bobolink

Is your rPi in a metal case?

Dan Dicke

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 19, 2020, at 08:59, Daniel Dicke <ke6nyt@...> wrote:

One is in the rot case with fan and the other is mounted on the back of the 7” pi touch screen with two tnc pi’s.

They were working fine now I’m having some issues. But then today it all May work ok

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 19, 2020, at 05:30, bobolink <rwhinric@...> wrote:

Is your rPi in a metal case?

Dan Dicke

Rpi case not rot case. One of them on startup today connected immediately to my mesh node WiFi no problem

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 19, 2020, at 09:17, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 19, 2020, at 08:59, Daniel Dicke <ke6nyt@...> wrote:

One is in the rot case with fan and the other is mounted on the back of the 7” pi touch screen with two tnc pi’s.

They were working fine now I’m having some issues. But then today it all May work ok

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 19, 2020, at 05:30, bobolink <rwhinric@...> wrote:

Is your rPi in a metal case?

Dan Dicke

Got the same response as you on the system to command. Of course that’s the one that connected this am

The other one that isn’t seeing WiFi this morning it has a STOPPED state gives the same return

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 18, 2020, at 18:47, David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

[...]

Logs gives me no entries

[...]

Ok. The one that wasn’t finding WiFi is the first one I got a few months ago. It was mounted inside the 7” touch screen pi monitor with two tnc pi’s on top. So I disassembled that and have the pi bare and plugged into the monitor and power when the pi is and I still have wlan0 STOPPED.

Both pi’s have the exact same software, ran as card copy and used that card in the one that works. So the sad cards are exactly the same.

And I found out today that John Hanson is no longer selling tnc pi kits!  I am so bummed I wanted two more for my second pi. The first two are working great!  😩

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 19, 2020, at 09:48, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:

[...]

Tried upgrading pi still WiFi STOPPED

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 19, 2020, at 16:10, Dan Dicke Electric <res0xgcr@...> wrote:

[...]

 I am running two raspberry pi 4Bs (RPI) one has two tnc-pi mounted on it.  both rpis are running the exact same software setup.  both have linbpq running.

What the system does now:
I can connect two radios, one on each tnc pi and i can connect from external packet station through 145.050 into one tnc and then through bbq go out on the other tnc pi on 223.580.  That all works
When wifi or LAN is connected, i can connect and receive/send emails through Winlink
when wifi is connected to my ham mesh node i can also send/receive emails to Winlink
I had it working where if the CMS/WIFI/LAN and i connected from an outside packet station, bbq would let you know that CMS was not available and connect you to the BBS and store the message.  Now it sends me an error and disconnects and I don’t know what I changed
It actually forwarded the messages once the CMS/WIFI?LAN came back up but I don’t know what i changed

What I want it to do:
Connect from outside packet station and go through port 2 Telnet and connect to the second rpi via the mesh nodes and then go back out to another packet station
I need to get the Forwarding working again
I also need to get it to connect to the BBS when CMS is down.  For some reason it stopped working and I don’t know what i changed.

I will never run a bbs service.  Im not using this to do a bbs.  I am doing this to be able to use the rpi as a gateway from normal packet station through the mesh net as a backbone and back out to normal packet.

So for some reason right now, one of my rpi computers is not seeing wifi  it is stating that is is STOPPED.  Once I figure out what I did wrong and get that working, then I can continue getting the forwarding to work and the mesh net tested.

Dan

On Jan 19, 2020, at 8:59 AM, Daniel Dicke <ke6nyt@...> wrote:

One is in the rot case with fan and the other is mounted on the back of the 7” pi touch screen with two tnc pi’s.

They were working fine now I’m having some issues. But then today it all May work ok

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Jan 19, 2020, at 05:30, bobolink <rwhinric@...> wrote:

Is your rPi in a metal case?

Dan Dicke

fixed my wifi issue. for some reason my wpa_supplicant.config had disabled flag set to 1

On Jan 19, 2020, at 5:07 PM, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok I’ve got the WiFi working and the bbs when CMS is down. Now to get forwarding to work when CMS is available!

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone