From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of km4ack
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 10:56
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Can't upgrade buster

Ran into something unique to me this morning. Downloaded fresh copy of Buster and flashed to card. Booted pi and ran the usual sudo apt-get update. Then ran sudo apt-get upgrade which failed. (See screenshot.) Ran sudo apt-get full-upgrade which seems to have overcome this issue. Anyone else run into this on a fresh install?

73, de KM4ACK

Marty Hartwell

Hi Jason

Yes I ran into it also, the error message was something on the order of the date was wrong or

or something like that. I also got it to upgrade using the full command so I moved on. I am

seeing some other issues too but haven't had a chance to investigate further.

My plan is to try to use the Pi 4 with 4 GB of RAM as my main PC although I may have to
run another SSD as a Home disk like my laptop currently has. I may run into other issues
too, so it is differently a work in progress.

I still have my Pi 2 that I plan to try to use as my Ham PC strictly as digital mode. I have it

running Buster also, I just need to finish installing all of the digital software I am going to

want, and I may want to get some additional hardware so I may investigate some of your

videos to refresh my memory on that issue.

I hope to talk to you soon too.

Marty kd8bj

On 1/10/20 10:55 AM, km4ack wrote:
Ran into something unique to me this morning. Downloaded fresh copy of Buster and flashed to card. Booted pi and ran the usual sudo apt-get update. Then ran sudo apt-get upgrade which failed. (See screenshot.) Ran sudo apt-get full-upgrade which seems to have overcome this issue. Anyone else run into this on a fresh install?

73, de KM4ACK

William Kimber

Nothing wrong at all.  You had just installed VLC and it put on the latest versions.  Then when you did update/upgrade as those were the correct, most up to date it did not need to update them.

You should have done the update/upgrade before doing the VLC install.

Cheers,

Will

On 11/01/20 7:43 am, Andrew Harmon wrote:
I just did a fresh install of vlc on raspbian buster and it installed successfully. Immediately afterwards did an update & upgrade and got
 libvlc-bin libvlc5 vlc vlc-bin vlc-data vlc-plugin-base vlc-plugin-qt vlc-plugin-skins2 vlc-plugin-video-output
Then I did sudo apt-get install libvlc-bin libvlc5 vlc vlc-bin vlc-data vlc-plugin-base vlc-plugin-qt vlc-plugin-skins2 vlc-plugin-video-output
And it worked.
Some weird circular dependencies going on here I think.

Matthew Allinson

I encountered it about 3 days ago on my RPi4B. Wasn’t in a new image install situation, just in the process of adding some new packages and ran those commands prior to starting.

73, Matt, KG8TRS

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:55 km4ack <jason.oleham@...> wrote:
Ran into something unique to me this morning. Downloaded fresh copy of Buster and flashed to card. Booted pi and ran the usual sudo apt-get update. Then ran sudo apt-get upgrade which failed. (See screenshot.) Ran sudo apt-get full-upgrade which seems to have overcome this issue. Anyone else run into this on a fresh install?

73, de KM4ACK

Matt Allinson, KG8TRS

Andrew Harmon

I just did a fresh install of vlc on raspbian buster and it installed successfully. Immediately afterwards did an update & upgrade and got
 libvlc-bin libvlc5 vlc vlc-bin vlc-data vlc-plugin-base vlc-plugin-qt vlc-plugin-skins2 vlc-plugin-video-output
Then I did sudo apt-get install libvlc-bin libvlc5 vlc vlc-bin vlc-data vlc-plugin-base vlc-plugin-qt vlc-plugin-skins2 vlc-plugin-video-output
And it worked.
Some weird circular dependencies going on here I think.

I wasn't trying to be harsh, just a couple things to keep in mind. If the subject was about what you were talking about, you may get some others jumping in. Also, if later on someone tries doing a search, they may not find what you were talking about because of it being under a different subject. Thank you for understanding and good luck with your project.

Related to your subject, I recently rebuilt my IRLP node to the latest with Debian 10. At the beginning of the process was to update/upgrade and it worked okay.

Mick - W7CAT

> > Ran into something unique to me this morning. Downloaded fresh copy of
> > Buster and flashed to card. Booted pi and ran the usual *sudo apt-get
> > update*. Then ran *sudo apt-get upgrade* which failed. (See screenshot.)
> > Ran *sudo apt-get full-upgrade* which seems to have overcome this issue.
> > Anyone else run into this on a fresh install?
> >

> > 73, de KM4ACK

Please change your subject since you hijacked the original post and are now talking about something different.

Mick - W7CAT