Topics

12V Power for the Pi (was Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Getting back to the RPi)

Daniel Holmes

For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.

Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.

Dan

--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

Here’s another idea for running a PI for 12v.

This is a schematic and suggested parts for a trivial home-brew battery backup solution.  It was designed for base-station use.
It doesn’t have automation for shutting down the PI, and it could be a bit large, but it will keep power glitches from killing the Raspberry PI and it will keep the Raspberry PI up while transporting it for a couple of hours.  It costs about $25US as pictured.

Tadd / KA2DEW
tadd@...
Raleigh NC  FM05pv

“Packet networking over ham radio": http://tarpn.net/t/packet_radio_networking.html
North Carolina Packet Radio Network: http://ncpacket.net/north_carolina_packet_network.html
Local Raleigh ham radio info: http://torborg.com/a

On Dec 24, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.

Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.

Dan

--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

Daniel Holmes

That was the device that led me to find the MoPi. The only thing that stopped me from building that one was the requirement the mains supply is 14.2V. The MoPi combines their PWRMAN project too.

My GoBox project will have external power and charger inputs--the MoPi will run off internal batteries or external supply, then charge them automatically without trouble. I haven’t quite worked out the power distribution or requirements yet, but getting there. Another upside of the MoPi, is the charger circuitry is pass through—meaning it’ll still charge LiFePo4 batteries with the appropriate charger. $35 or so IIRC.

Dan
--

On Dec 24, 2019, at 8:24 AM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael WA7SKG

Dan,

THANK YOU! What a device! While you say expensive, it's only a few dollars more than the USBuddy and does so much more. The on/off switch is a big plus, as well as the HAT configuration. The only thing I'm not sure of is powering the monitor as well. As I am using the Smarti-Pi Touch Case, the RPi is not mounted directly to the monitor, so it is not powered through the IO pins, but from a separate USB connection. However, I do not think this is insurmountable.

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:

For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.
Dan

Daniel Holmes

Good question on a monitor—I think the specs said it’ll only do about 2.5-3 amps, but there’s a way to switch in a 5V relay to power up the monitor. I personally run my Pi headless, and use VNC on my iPad to connect in (although I have a small wireless keyboard I use because typing on a virtual keyboard stinks.)

Dan
--

On Dec 24, 2019, at 9:35 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

[...]

David Ranch

The thought about checking your power connection (Y cables, etc) from N9VPV was a very important one.  Even with a good power supply, if your power cables are too thin, too long, or both.. you're going to have power issues when the Rpi needs to draw more current as the voltage drop will upset it.  Maybe the PowerWerx USB-buddy can supply your needed current and do so RF quietly but it could be the power cables before and after that unit are letting you down.  Try beefing up the gauge of the wire and shorten the cables and maybe your Rpi "lightening" bolt issues will go way.

As to the Rpi powering ideas, google "raspberry pi USB hatt".  There are a LOT of them out there but the question is if they are RF quiet.  The impressive TARPN project from KA2DEW  has a lot of Raspberry Pi units running for a long time so if he gives it the nod of acceptance, I bet it's a safe bet but just be careful on the cooling.  There are other similar products out there as well such as this one:

   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Step-down-LM2596-Power-Converter-Module-DC-4-0-40-to-1-3-37V-LED-Voltmeter/222514124788

I have one of these but I haven't put it under enough stress to give it any recommendations just yet.

Btw.. if you want to monitor the status of the voltage issues on your Raspberry Pi when HEADLESS, this script can get you that detail and a lot more.  It's a bit complicated to decipher the bitmask but that's how the Broadcom chip presents all of it.  Once you get used to it, it's not bad.  You can also just look at the content of the script to give you ideas of how to do things your way.

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/usr/local/bin/review-rpi-cpu.sh
--
review-rpi-cpu.sh : Read the script comments for lots of helpful details and URL on specific areas

CPU / GPU Memory split
arm=896M
gpu=128M

View count of any previous power under-voltage or over-temp events:

   Example: for a 0x50005 result, the different bit values translate to:
        0: currently under-voltage          : occurs when input voltage drops below 4.63V
        1: currently arm frequency capped   : occurs with temp > 80'C
                                            : over-temperature occurs with temp > 85'C
        2: currently throttled (any reason from above)
       16: under-voltage has occurred in the past
       17: arm frequency capped has occurred in the past
       18: throttling has occurred in the past

Read value:
throttled=0x0

Translation
bit
-------------------
0

Current CPU speed govrenor: (valid is 'powersave', 'ondemand'): ondemand

Current CPU frequency: 600000

Max allowed frequency: 1200000

SOC Temp (in Celsius) - DD.ddd -- throttling begins at 80C: 41856
Temp in C: 41.85
Temp in F: 107.33

GPU temp: temp=41.9'C

Rpi Serial number, model firmware and Waranty bit (MSB):
Serial          : 00000000585fxxxx
Revision        : a22082
   Example:
      revision value of 9000c1 is Pi 0 Model W   - 512MB
      revision value of   000f is Pi 1 Model B   - 512MB
      revision value of a21041 is Pi 2 Model B   -   1GB - made at Embest, China
      revision value of a22082 is Pi 3 Model B   -   1GB - made at Embest, China
      revision value of a020d3 is Pi 3 Model B+   -  1GB

Broadcom firmware version:
Aug 15 2019 12:08:48
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 0e6daa5106dd4164474616408e0dc24f997ffcf3 (clean) (release) (start_x)

Max CPU clock confirmation: system will clock up to max CPU speed (turbo mode) by loading the CPUs and then report new CPU frequency
1200000

Done
--

On 12/24/2019 08:35 AM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
Dan,

THANK YOU! What a device! While you say expensive, it's only a few dollars more than the USBuddy and does so much more. The on/off switch is a big plus, as well as the HAT configuration. The only thing I'm not sure of is powering the monitor as well. As I am using the Smarti-Pi Touch Case, the RPi is not mounted directly to the monitor, so it is not powered through the IO pins, but from a separate USB connection. However, I do not think this is insurmountable.

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Using the MOPI-2 In this scenario

A> mains are working.
B> Start Raspberry PI
C> runs steady for a long time (weeks)
D> Mains go to 0v but are still hooked up.
E> battery eventually gets low
F> MOFI does LInux shutdown and turns off Raspberry PI
G> mains come back eventually
H>  battery charges
J> raspberry is provided power again

Is there a way to have the Raspberry PI come back on-line in H or J ?

Thanks!
  Tadd - KA2DEW
  Raleigh NC USA

On December 24, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

[...]

If power is applied to the Pi while it is off it will turn on at G.

Dan
--

On Dec 24, 2019, at 11:33 AM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

Using the MOPI-2 In this scenario

A> mains are working.
B> Start Raspberry PI
C> runs steady for a long time (weeks)
D> Mains go to 0v but are still hooked up.
E> battery eventually gets low
F> MOFI does LInux shutdown and turns off Raspberry PI
G> mains come back eventually
H>  battery charges
J> raspberry is provided power again

Is there a way to have the Raspberry PI come back on-line in H or J ?

Thanks!
  Tadd - KA2DEW
  Raleigh NC USA

On December 24, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

Good question on a monitor—I think the specs said it’ll only do about 2.5-3 amps, but there’s a way to switch in a 5V relay to power up the monitor. I personally run my Pi headless, and use VNC on my iPad to connect in (although I have a small wireless keyboard I use because typing on a virtual keyboard stinks.)

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Dec 24, 2019, at 9:35 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

Dan,

THANK YOU! What a device! While you say expensive, it's only a few dollars more than the USBuddy and does so much more. The on/off switch is a big plus, as well as the HAT configuration. The only thing I'm not sure of is powering the monitor as well. As I am using the Smarti-Pi Touch Case, the RPi is not mounted directly to the monitor, so it is not powered through the IO pins, but from a separate USB connection. However, I do not think this is insurmountable.

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:
For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.
Dan

interesting.  ok.  so same scenario but in B> the Raspberry PI is left OFF.  Does it turn on when G or H?

On December 24, 2019 at 1:36 PM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

If power is applied to the Pi while it is off it will turn on at G.

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Dec 24, 2019, at 11:33 AM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

Using the MOPI-2 In this scenario

A> mains are working.
B> Start Raspberry PI
C> runs steady for a long time (weeks)
D> Mains go to 0v but are still hooked up.
E> battery eventually gets low
F> MOFI does LInux shutdown and turns off Raspberry PI
G> mains come back eventually
H>  battery charges
J> raspberry is provided power again

Is there a way to have the Raspberry PI come back on-line in H or J ?

Thanks!
  Tadd - KA2DEW
  Raleigh NC USA

On December 24, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

Good question on a monitor—I think the specs said it’ll only do about 2.5-3 amps, but there’s a way to switch in a 5V relay to power up the monitor. I personally run my Pi headless, and use VNC on my iPad to connect in (although I have a small wireless keyboard I use because typing on a virtual keyboard stinks.)

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Dec 24, 2019, at 9:35 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

Dan,

THANK YOU! What a device! While you say expensive, it's only a few dollars more than the USBuddy and does so much more. The on/off switch is a big plus, as well as the HAT configuration. The only thing I'm not sure of is powering the monitor as well. As I am using the Smarti-Pi Touch Case, the RPi is not mounted directly to the monitor, so it is not powered through the IO pins, but from a separate USB connection. However, I do not think this is insurmountable.

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:
For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.
Dan

Daniel Holmes

I don’t have it handy to check, but I’d assume so—anytime you remove power from a Pi and then reapply power it starts up.

Dan

--
. Please pardon any mispelings or errors.

On Dec 24, 2019, at 11:41 AM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

interesting.  ok.  so same scenario but in B> the Raspberry PI is left OFF.  Does it turn on when G or H?

On December 24, 2019 at 1:36 PM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

If power is applied to the Pi while it is off it will turn on at G.

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Dec 24, 2019, at 11:33 AM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

Using the MOPI-2 In this scenario

A> mains are working.
B> Start Raspberry PI
C> runs steady for a long time (weeks)
D> Mains go to 0v but are still hooked up.
E> battery eventually gets low
F> MOFI does LInux shutdown and turns off Raspberry PI
G> mains come back eventually
H>  battery charges
J> raspberry is provided power again

Is there a way to have the Raspberry PI come back on-line in H or J ?

Thanks!
  Tadd - KA2DEW
  Raleigh NC USA

On December 24, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

Good question on a monitor—I think the specs said it’ll only do about 2.5-3 amps, but there’s a way to switch in a 5V relay to power up the monitor. I personally run my Pi headless, and use VNC on my iPad to connect in (although I have a small wireless keyboard I use because typing on a virtual keyboard stinks.)

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Dec 24, 2019, at 9:35 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

Dan,

THANK YOU! What a device! While you say expensive, it's only a few dollars more than the USBuddy and does so much more. The on/off switch is a big plus, as well as the HAT configuration. The only thing I'm not sure of is powering the monitor as well. As I am using the Smarti-Pi Touch Case, the RPi is not mounted directly to the monitor, so it is not powered through the IO pins, but from a separate USB connection. However, I do not think this is insurmountable.

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:
For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.
Dan

David Lane

By default, yes, once there is enough power, the boot cycle starts.

Question - how would you retard the boot cycle, until the battery fully charges? Or are you assuming that once the mains are back up, you are ‘good to go,’ and not worried about a secondary outage without enough battery? If the MOPI is managing the battery, does it have the ability to retard that restart?  (I am thinking about the much larger logic circuits that are in smart ups and larger power systems that keep the main CPUs from coming back if the battery charge is still insufficient for full operations and shutdown again - then you get into a is there enough capacity in the capacitor for the battery to know if the capacitor is charged enough to tell the battery to start charging again). Or does it not really matter? (Worse case scenario is a required FSCK on the drive preventing a boot and needing a manual intervention).

David

On Dec 24, 2019, at 2:34 PM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:
For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.

A basic solution would be to just let the mains be online for some period of time before you let the Raspberry PI start.  That period of time could be configured based on charger and battery chemistry I guess.

I'm also interested in it NOT bringing the Raspberry PI up if the last time the operator played with it they left it shutdown.  That would require the charger controller CPU keeping track in RAM or in NVmemory of some kind.

I made a charge/backup management device with these features but it didn't have provision for an external charger, it only had a trickle for SLA batteries, and it didn't put out enough volts for the Raspberry PI 4.  It used a fixed 5V USB regulator, and worse, it had a USB A socket for a cable to go over to the Raspberry PI.  For a modern Raspberry PI we want 5.1 or so and that voltage AT the Raspberry PI.
I think PWRMAN has been abandoned because of the low voltage output.  One of the TARPN people was working on a new PCB which was a hat for the Raspberry PI but other things came up.
 Tadd KA2DEW

On December 24, 2019 at 2:50 PM, David Lane <kg4giy@...> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:
For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.

I wonder if G8BPQ node + TNC-PI can share the i2C bus with the MOPI.

On December 24, 2019 at 1:40 PM, "Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io" <tadd@...> wrote:

interesting.  ok.  so same scenario but in B> the Raspberry PI is left OFF.  Does it turn on when G or H?

On December 24, 2019 at 1:36 PM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

If power is applied to the Pi while it is off it will turn on at G.

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Dec 24, 2019, at 11:33 AM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

Using the MOPI-2 In this scenario

A> mains are working.
B> Start Raspberry PI
C> runs steady for a long time (weeks)
D> Mains go to 0v but are still hooked up.
E> battery eventually gets low
F> MOFI does LInux shutdown and turns off Raspberry PI
G> mains come back eventually
H>  battery charges
J> raspberry is provided power again

Is there a way to have the Raspberry PI come back on-line in H or J ?

Thanks!
  Tadd - KA2DEW
  Raleigh NC USA

On December 24, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

Good question on a monitor—I think the specs said it’ll only do about 2.5-3 amps, but there’s a way to switch in a 5V relay to power up the monitor. I personally run my Pi headless, and use VNC on my iPad to connect in (although I have a small wireless keyboard I use because typing on a virtual keyboard stinks.)

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Dec 24, 2019, at 9:35 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

Dan,

THANK YOU! What a device! While you say expensive, it's only a few dollars more than the USBuddy and does so much more. The on/off switch is a big plus, as well as the HAT configuration. The only thing I'm not sure of is powering the monitor as well. As I am using the Smarti-Pi Touch Case, the RPi is not mounted directly to the monitor, so it is not powered through the IO pins, but from a separate USB connection. However, I do not think this is insurmountable.

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:
For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.
Dan

Daniel Holmes

That’s my plan—and from what I’ve read they are designed to use the bus correctly.

Dan

--

On Dec 24, 2019, at 2:51 PM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:
For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.

Daniel, I look forward to the results of your experiment.   Tadd

Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Dec 24, 2019, at 5:45 PM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks again.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Daniel Holmes wrote on 12/24/19 6:57 AM:
For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.
Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.

bbillp

The WittyPI III from UUGEAR will take input to 15V to power the Pi, the WittyPi also contains an accurate RTC and lots of automatic power up and power down programming options. I use 4 of these to control my sky cameras.

Any number of 7805 regulators and micro sized DC to DC regulators are available for 5 volts output. I also use OLD USB cables to connect power to the Pi as the wire conductors are large and can carry the current. Bill k6acj.

For Amateur Radio use, be sure to look at the DRAWS™ board: 9-15 VDC input supply, sound card, dual radio interfaces, GPIO pin extensions, GPS (w/battery backed clock) -- all integrated into a Raspberry Pi HAT.
Kingston, WA
K7VE

Michael WA7SKG

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not going to spend another $150+ for more hardware that is less capable than what I already have to do the work of a $7 buck-boost module.

Michael WA7SKG

John D Hays - K7VE wrote on 12/30/19 8:48 AM:

For Amateur Radio use, be sure to look at the DRAWS™ <http://www.nwdigitalradio.com/draws> board: 9-15 VDC input supply, sound card, dual radio interfaces, GPIO pin extensions, GPS (w/battery backed clock) -- all integrated into a Raspberry Pi HAT.
http://nwdigitalradio.com/shop/
Kingston, WA
K7VE

Daniel Holmes

Eh, considering all that it does and the convenience factor I don’t think $150 is all that outrageous. I already have a Pi-TNC, Signalink, GPS puck, and the Mo-Pi, so it’s superfluous for me. The Mo-Pi handled my power requirements (namely multiple inputs and charging circuitry) better than the DRAWS HAT. Although it would be very convenient to have everything in one package.

Dan
--

chuck gelm <rpi4ham@...>

On 12/30/19 12:22 PM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not going to spend another $150+ for more hardware that is less capable than what I already have to do the work of a $7 buck-boost module.

Michael WA7SKG

+1

Not, yet, interested in 1200 baud, especially at $150.

...what I already have to do the work of a $50 single band, modem, transceiver, antenna, POE powered, outdoor rated, up to 144.4 Mbps, automatic-adaptive networking,

:-|

But, I love the Raspberry Pi. :-)

Chuck