W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Im

Mark Griffith

Having watched this long discussion (I have no choice if I'm in the group), I'd just like to mention a few things.

First, 17GB is just too large an image for successful download. Just one bit needs to be lost and the whole thing is barfed.  Some web browsers won't do it although they will say it was successful.

Second, I'm sure all this software and the OS image won't use a whole 128GB SD card.  If you compressed 128GB down to 17GB that means there is a lot of empty space.

Third, you probably can build all this on a 16 or 32GB card.  Compressed 16GB would be less than 2GB. 32 probably less than 4.  That would be a much easier download.

If the author doesn't want to rebuild this (I'm sure it is a major task,  search the net for procedures on how to reduce the image size.

For those that want to install this on a larger SD card, you just copy the 16GB image to a 128GB card, boot up, and use the Raspbian utility to expand the image to use the full size.

Just my 2 cents after decades of doing this. Your mileage may vary.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 11:26 AM, Dave Slotter, W3DJS
<slotter@...> wrote:
Walter,

Please use BalenaEtcher to burn the image to the SD card or microSD card and let us know if that solves your problem.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

17GB is easy to download with BitTorrent -- and the protocol handles error checking and correction. You're right to worry about a dropped bit ruining a 17GB download. But with BitTorrent you need not worry.

Since yesterday, I've downloaded the 17GB file, and have in turn uploaded 50+ GB. There are currently 20 of us with our clients waiting for the next person to begin a download. It will max out any one person's download speed as long as we keep seeding.

BitTorrent works very well for this sort of thing. Hats off to Dave for using BitTorrent!

Jeff N0̸MII

On Oct 31, 2019, at 11:43 AM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Groups.io allows you to "mute" a topic, so you actually do have a choice ;-)

--
Jeff N0̷MII

Kevin Elliott

TIL! Cool.

On Oct 31, 2019, at 9:50 AM, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:

Having watched this long discussion (I have no choice if I'm in the group)

Groups.io allows you to "mute" a topic, so you actually do have a choice ;-)

--
Jeff N0̷MII

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:43 PM, Mark Griffith wrote:
[...]

Mark, you bring up some interesting points.

First, let me express my gratitude in you showing your interest in improving the quality of the "customer experience" for everyone.

I created this image originally for myself and then realized I could share it with my local Ham Radio Club, Gwinnett Amateur Radio Society, or "GARS". After it was very successfully received by my local ham radio colleagues, and one member, Norm Schklar, WA4XV, graciously donated his Google Drive storage space, and Dave Bruse, W4DTR, graciously donated his space/bandwidth on his hosting provider, I said, "what if" some Raspberry Pi for Ham Radio enthusiasts on Group.io would be interested in it?

I thought there would maybe be 10 people interested -- 20 tops.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected 700 downloads in 36 hours, and seeing bandwidth limits being imposed on both hosting providers.

This is a victim of its own success, and will have some growing pains as a result.

I knew the image was huge, but I figured with 10-20 downloads, that it wouldn't be a big deal. I grossly underestimated the level of interest.

I hadn't originally thought to compress the image because I didn't think that would become a concern. Again, I was so wrong about underestimating the interest.

As it turns out, the estimate you made of a 16GB image being compressed to below 2GB is a bit optimistic. After compressing the v2.0 image with bzip2 (which is generally better than gzip), I reduced the 17.1 GB image down to 5.2 GB image.

I will see about updating the current hosting providers with the bzip image to reduce download times and bandwidth.

Uncompressed, the image I created does require 17.1 GB. It cannot fit on a 16GB or smaller SD or micro SD card. It requires a 32GB card or larger.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

- Dave
  W3DJS

Mark Griffith

Dave,

The main issue, has you are now aware, is the number of people that will have problems and will need your help. Once they start using the software you installed, and they can't get it to work,  your free time will disappear.  😕

Thus is life of a developer.

My PiGate RMS images are made on a 16GB card and then compressed. It is slightly smaller than 2GB, but that depends on how much empty space there is.  I just use 7zip on my PC.

I guess bit torrent works, we never trusted it in the IT field for huge downloads.  We broke up the files and had software to reassemble the parts.

Again just my 2 cents.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:13 PM, Dave Slotter, W3DJS
<slotter@...> wrote:
[...]

David KD4E <dcolburn@...>

Where may this be found, please?

I may be able to re-post it on my kd4e.com Bluehost domain for download.

I doubt I scratch the surface of available resources.

Bluehost also provides a CloudFlare resource to handle large demands.

David KD4E

On 10/31/19 1:13 PM, Dave Slotter, W3DJS wrote:
5.2 GB image

Ian Malcolm

David

This was the torrent file I used. I am also seeding

Ian

On Oct 31, 2019, at 2:10 PM, David KD4E <dcolburn@bulloch.net> wrote:

Where may this be found, please?

I may be able to re-post it on my kd4e.com Bluehost domain for download.

I doubt I scratch the surface of available resources.

Bluehost also provides a CloudFlare resource to handle large demands.

David KD4E

On 10/31/19 1:13 PM, Dave Slotter, W3DJS wrote:
5.2 GB image

Edward Seeliger

Dave W3DJS
I have successfully downloaded your image from both Google drive (today) and Bittorrent (last evening).
Both images are the same size and load onto a 32GB SD and boot without difficulty on a new 4GB RPI4. The ham software I tried all load and work as they should (for whoever asked, WSJTX is v2.1.0).
But the WiFi is disabled and I can't seem to get it to enable. Is WiFi disabled intentionally? If so, how do I get it to start? ETH0 appears to be enabled but I don't use Ethernet in my system.
Thanks for all the work you put into building this extensive Ham Radio software collection and then sharing it with the ham community - that is the true spirit of Ham Radio!
Edd - KD5M

David KD4E <dcolburn@...>

Where did you locate it on google drive, please?

David KD4E

Dave W3DJS
I have successfully downloaded your image from both Google drive (today) and Bittorrent (last evening).
Both images are the same size and load onto a 32GB SD and boot without difficulty on a new 4GB RPI4. The ham software I tried all load and work as they should (for whoever asked, WSJTX is v2.1.0).
But the WiFi is disabled and I can't seem to get it to enable. Is WiFi disabled intentionally? If so, how do I get it to start? ETH0 appears to be enabled but I don't use Ethernet in my system.
Thanks for all the work you put into building this extensive Ham Radio software collection and then sharing it with the ham community - that is the true spirit of Ham Radio!
Edd - KD5M

Edward Seeliger

See message #9439
 http://bit.ly/32Xpi74
Edd - KD5M

Edward Seeliger

I fixed no WiFi by adding the missing wpa_supplicant.conf file as described here :
https://desertbot.io/blog/headless-raspberry-pi-4-ssh-wifi-setup
The RPI4 with the W3DJS image now connects to my WiFI, will download from the internet, and VNC works.
Thanks again for assembling all the Ham Software on one RPI image and sharing with the ham community!
Edd - KD5M

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Hi Edward,

Glad you got the image operational.

I configured auto hot-spot software into the Raspberry Pi. This is useful for when the Raspberry Pi is used in the field -- then you can connect your laptop, tablet or smartphone to the Pi's AP. However, when you configure an access point on the Raspberry Pi, and the Pi sees that AP, it will switch off the auto-hotspot software. The trick is getting to that point. To get there, open up a terminal on the Pi, and type "KillHotspot" (without the quotes). Then you should be able to use the wireless. (This is alluded to in the README.TXT, in paragraph 3 which I will re-iterate here:

One more caveat: This image comes pre-installed to operate as a wireless Hotspot for field operations. If you are using this at home, and don't want to operate as a Hotspot, then open a Terminal on the Pi and type in "KillHotspot" (without the quotes) and hit return. Networking will then operate normally.

Now that I have explained this to you, it would be helpful if you see another user with this same question (there will be), that you would share this information with them. Thanks!

- Dave
  W3DJS

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Ian,

Thank you for seeding the image!

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

David,

The direct download link on Google Drive is: http://bit.ly/32Xpi74

Please prefer BitTorrenf if you can to reduce the load on Google Drive and to allow for faster downloads.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Edward.

The Wi-Fi did not ship broken. You didn't read paragraph 3 of the README.TXT.

[...]

DavidC KD4E

Thanks!

I was looking for the version that was compressed to 5 gigs.

David KD4E

David,

The direct download link on Google Drive is: http://bit.ly/32Xpi74

Please prefer BitTorrenf if you can to reduce the load on Google Drive and to allow for faster downloads.

--
- Dave
  W3DJS

Edward Seeliger

Thanks Dave.
I apologize for not reading the description carefully!
How do I reenable the Hotspot feature?
Edd -KD5M

Mat Murdock

Hope this is OK.  I put a copy on our club server for download.  I compressed the file.  It is now a little over 5 Gb.

Mat
K2MJM

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 12:41 PM Ian Malcolm <kc2bxn@...> wrote:
David

This was the torrent file I used.  I am also seeding

Ian
> On Oct 31, 2019, at 2:10 PM, David KD4E <dcolburn@...> wrote:
>
> Where may this be found, please?
>
> I may be able to re-post it on my kd4e.com Bluehost domain for download.
>
> I doubt I scratch the surface of available resources.
>
> Bluehost also provides a CloudFlare resource to handle large demands.
>
> David KD4E
>
>> On 10/31/19 1:13 PM, Dave Slotter, W3DJS wrote:
>> 5.2 GB image

Vince A

@Mat K2MJM
Thanks loads
73 KD7TWW Vince

On Nov 1 2019, at 12:21 am, Mat Murdock via Groups.Io <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Hope this is OK.  I put a copy on our club server for download.  I compressed the file.  It is now a little over 5 Gb.

Mat
K2MJM

Sent from Mailspring