Topics

Install WSJT-x and fldigi on a Raspberry Pi4

Dave Capstick

Hi All,
i'm relatively new to Raspberry Pi, and i'm aware that this kind of question has possibly cropped up before.  I have recently purchased a RPi4 and would like to use this for digimodes.  I know that if you install fldigi using the add/remove software options, you will get quite an old version of fldigi, i think this is the same for wsjt-x.  Having looked online, there are quite a few sites that describe the installation process from source, but so far i've only found instructions for installation on a RPi3.  Is the install for these packages any different when using a RPi4?  I'm reluctant to start installing anything that could mess things up if there is an issue with different versions of the RPi OS, as the RPi4 now has Buster.  If there is a different process, would someone be able to point me in the right direction as to instructions as i've not found anything yet.

Thanks for your help

Dave
M0IKT

Steve Spence

the instructions for rpi3 would be the same for rpi4, as they are both linux.

Steve Spence, KK4HFJ

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 1:56 PM Dave Capstick via Groups.Io <cappers1001=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

km4ack

Dave,

Take a look at my channel that focuses on pi/ham radio. I have install videos for many things radio related. You will find very few differences in the Pi3 vs Pi4. Just be sure to backup after each successful install. That way if something goes wrong, you only have to redo one step instead of starting over. Easy Pi Backup. There is even a video on Where to Start

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Well.. there might be one difference.  In recent times, the compiling of Fldigi needed more than the 1GB of RAM or the build would fail.  The solution here was to create a little swap space to get it over the hump and that works well.  Now with the Rpi4 offering 2GB and 4GB versions, those two versions probably won't require you to create that swap space anymore.

On 09/09/2019 04:08 AM, Steve Spence wrote:
[...]

Great, thanks all for the help.  I'll give that a go.  I've just checked out your youtube channel KM4ACK, looks really useful, much appreciated

73
Dave
M0IKT

Vince A

@KM4ACK

Get sound card info arecord -l (note:that is a lower case L)
  arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****

no /dev no listing, blank. I don't have a Siglink box nor a USB device. does this require one? or can I use the onboard rasp pi 3b sound card? OR would this audio board help? - https://fe-pi.com/products/fe-pi-audio-z-v2

---
-During World War 2, Hams could not do what in the USA?
- In the movie Contact, what was Ellie's callsign?
- "Bandwidth" A Ham's waist size!
73 Vince: ":>) KD7TWW Formerly KJ7EUG
Thank you for your reply...

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 6:01 AM km4ack <jason.oleham@...> wrote:
Dave,

Take a look at my channel that focuses on pi/ham radio. I have install videos for many things radio related. You will find very few differences in the Pi3 vs Pi4. Just be sure to backup after each successful install. That way if something goes wrong, you only have to redo one step instead of starting over. Easy Pi Backup. There is even a video on Where to Start

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

Bob Bennett

Download it from the author at https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html  it is the Raspian version. You will need 2 connections to your radio: a CAT cable that matches your rig, and a sound dongle (I use a $6 dongle that goes to the USB port).

Just get the software then go to the settings menu you to identify your rig and soundcard/dongle connections.

I was able to get WAS on 40 and 80 meters QRP with that set up and 44 states on 160 meters as well.

Good luck

Bob nz2z

Yaniv Eliash

No need for PTT control?
Or the CAT provide the PTT?

Thanks,
Yaniv 4X5DL

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 08:50, Bob Bennett via Groups.Io <bobsmacbox=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Download it from the author at https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html  it is the Raspian version. You will need 2 connections to your radio: a CAT cable that matches your rig, and a sound dongle (I use a $6 dongle that goes to the USB port).

Just get the software then go to the settings menu you to identify your rig and soundcard/dongle connections.

I was able to get WAS on 40 and 80 meters QRP with that set up and 44 states on 160 meters as well.

Good luck

Bob nz2z

Jonathan Magee

Hi Yaniv
For PTT control it will depend on your radio. If your radio supports PTT via CAT then use that, otherwise you will need an additional interface to control PTT.  I don't have the details handy but in the past I have used a USB-Serial dongle and used one of the control line to turn PTT on and off (with some other components to isolate the PTT circuit from the serial port).

73 de Jonathan GI7KMC

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 at 07:36, Yaniv Eliash <yaniv@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, you will need some sort of sound card for this project. There are many options available. Signalink, Wolphilink, DRAWS hat, & others.

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

Vince A

@KM4ACK this audio board okay?https://fe-pi.com/products/fe-pi-audio-z-v2

and then what's next after installing this board? Cables??

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 6:45 AM km4ack <jason.oleham@...> wrote:

[...]

I have no experience with that board so I'll leave it to someone else who may have experience. I primarily use one of the 3 boards mentioned above.

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

Yaniv Eliash

I've Fe-Pi
Works flawless.

Just take in mind that you need a special case for your RPi if you choose so (especially for portable ops)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 14:30, km4ack <jason.oleham@...> wrote:
@KM4ACK this audio board okay?https://fe-pi.com/products/fe-pi-audio-z-v2

and then what's next after installing this board? Cables??

-During World War 2, Hams could not do what in the USA?
73 Vince: ":>) KD7TWW Formerly KJ7EUG
Thank you for your reply...

I have no experience with that board so I'll leave it to someone else who may have experience. I primarily use one of the 3 boards mentioned above.

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

Vince A

@KM4ACK
@Yaniv
Thank you
---

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:03 AM Yaniv Eliash <yaniv@...> wrote:
I've Fe-Pi
Works flawless.

Just take in mind that you need a special case for your RPi if you choose so (especially for portable ops)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 14:30, km4ack <jason.oleham@...> wrote:
@KM4ACK this audio board okay?https://fe-pi.com/products/fe-pi-audio-z-v2

and then what's next after installing this board? Cables??

-During World War 2, Hams could not do what in the USA?
73 Vince: ":>) KD7TWW Formerly KJ7EUG
Thank you for your reply...

I have no experience with that board so I'll leave it to someone else who may have experience. I primarily use one of the 3 boards mentioned above.

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

David Ranch <dranch@...>

I've had good success with the FePi using the I2S bus vs. the somewhat quirky Rpi USB bus with Direwolf.  I can't see why WSJT or Fldigi wouldn't work equally well.

On 09/11/2019 04:30 AM, km4ack wrote:
@KM4ACK this audio board okay?https://fe-pi.com/products/fe-pi-audio-z-v2

and then what's next after installing this board? Cables??

-During World War 2, Hams could not do what in the USA?
73 Vince: ":>) KD7TWW Formerly KJ7EUG
Thank you for your reply...

I have no experience with that board so I'll leave it to someone else who may have experience. I primarily use one of the 3 boards mentioned above.

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

Vince A

@KI6ZHD
David. Thank you for the much-needed info. This clears up a lot of doubt and questions.

---

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:39 AM David Ranch <dranch@...> wrote:

I've had good success with the FePi using the I2S bus vs. the somewhat quirky Rpi USB bus with Direwolf.  I can't see why WSJT or Fldigi wouldn't work equally well.

On 09/11/2019 04:30 AM, km4ack wrote:
@KM4ACK this audio board okay?https://fe-pi.com/products/fe-pi-audio-z-v2

and then what's next after installing this board? Cables??

-During World War 2, Hams could not do what in the USA?
73 Vince: ":>) KD7TWW Formerly KJ7EUG
Thank you for your reply...

I have no experience with that board so I'll leave it to someone else who may have experience. I primarily use one of the 3 boards mentioned above.

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

N3RDR

What do you use the I2S bus for?

Carlos
N3RDR

On Sep 12, 2019, at 12:39 PM, David Ranch <dranch@...> wrote:

I've had good success with the FePi using the I2S bus vs. the somewhat quirky Rpi USB bus with Direwolf.  I can't see why WSJT or Fldigi wouldn't work equally well.

On 09/11/2019 04:30 AM, km4ack wrote:
@KM4ACK this audio board okay?https://fe-pi.com/products/fe-pi-audio-z-v2

and then what's next after installing this board? Cables??

-During World War 2, Hams could not do what in the USA?
73 Vince: ":>) KD7TWW Formerly KJ7EUG
Thank you for your reply...

I have no experience with that board so I'll leave it to someone else who may have experience. I primarily use one of the 3 boards mentioned above.

73,
KM4ACK
Find Me On YouTube

Bo Barry <bobarr@...>

I just completed updates to both on my RigPi and posted info in the files section of that Forum.
Hopefully someone will eliminate  the need to do sudo fldigi for those using the USB cable for audio.
Works fine.
73, Bo W4GHV since '54

Vince A

@W4GHV
Bo
Could you please post a link to that forum for us that don't recall what you're talking about?
---

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:05 AM Bo Barry <bobarr@...> wrote:
I just completed updates to both on my RigPi and posted info in the files section of that Forum.
Hopefully someone will eliminate  the need to do sudo fldigi for those using the USB cable for audio.
Works fine.
73, Bo W4GHV since '54

N3RDR

Hams could not transmit during WWII.